The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yeah, that's really cool, and nicely fails to invalidate the vague handwaving I've done re: space travel (-:

-Suzanne
I reckon it opens up (reopens in some cases) intriguing possibilities, too.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Write1 rough draft is done. Have to polish it, though.

Do you suppose that your Write1 and your Sub1 could be both the same story if you're doing the ST challenge? Technically you're submitting it for consideration in their publication. :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yay, soapy! :hooray:

Do you suppose that your Write1 and your Sub1 could be both the same story if you're doing the ST challenge? Technically you're submitting it for consideration in their publication. :D
I'd say that definitely qualifies, and your write1 and sub1 can certainly be the same story.

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score

I ran with this supposition in march so I'll second Izz's yes.

I decided late last night that I'd try to get a story done for S&S's deadline next week - no pressure, really ;) - so I might actually manage two stories completed and submitted by the 13th of this month!

I'm about 750 words into my S&S story now, with the entire plot roughly sketched out, so I'm hopeful that I can actually complete it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm counting my ST contest sub as W1S1 for the week. Just finished the second draft and sent it out to beta readers this evening. It will end up being submitted other places after the contest anyway (unless the feedback is really bad, that is) :)

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
A sneaky new sub-forum appeared when I wasn't looking...

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, I thought I had a story I could polish up and submit to the Warrior Wisewoman anthology. But I queried the editor and it turns out they aren't accepting steampunk because apparently there are plenty of other markets for it.

Meh.

Not a big deal. (I should be focusing on the story I'm trying to polish for the Sword and Sorceress antho, but I'm kind of freaking out about trying to meet that deadline. o_O) I'll just have to think of something else.

At least there's nothing interesting on TV tonight. Maybe I'll be able to get a lot done.

*knocks wood*
*crosses fingers*
*gets butt in chair*

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Not a big deal. (I should be focusing on the story I'm trying to polish for the Sword and Sorceress antho, but I'm kind of freaking out about trying to meet that deadline. o_O) I'll just have to think of something else.

At least there's nothing interesting on TV tonight. Maybe I'll be able to get a lot done.

*knocks wood*
*crosses fingers*
*gets butt in chair*

Hey, if I can get my story done for the S&S antho, Aggy, so can you! Go, go, go!

I'm only 1,000 words into mine so far (I'm aiming for about 4,500 words), but I am determined to finish it by Sunday night so I have some time to attempt an edit of it. S&S has an impressive record of 0 and 1 day R's, so I suppose I could be getting it back for a second edit very quickly.

Of course, now I'm distracted by thoughts of TV since I think there are shows I wanted to watch tonight, the Fringe finale in particular...

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, if I can get my story done for the S&S antho, Aggy, so can you! Go, go, go!

I'm only 1,000 words into mine so far (I'm aiming for about 4,500 words), but I am determined to finish it by Sunday night so I have some time to attempt an edit of it. S&S has an impressive record of 0 and 1 day R's, so I suppose I could be getting it back for a second edit very quickly.

Of course, now I'm distracted by thoughts of TV since I think there are shows I wanted to watch tonight, the Fringe finale in particular...

Egh. We don't really get Fox with our digital antenna so... not really into Fringe because I never get a chance to watch. I might get suckered in by CSI:NY but that's unlikely. Although Sela Ward is far less obnoxious than that curly haired lady I still find the show gets on my nerves more than it used to.

Ah. Well. Since that last post I've written 68 words. >_< Thinking about skipping ahead to something more interesting and coming back the opening later. (Not that the beginning isn't interesting, but there's all that pressure to make the opening rock and I'm not feeling it right now.)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I'm attempting to get cracking on my S&S story too. My old idea - the one with the long title that I then took Suzanne's suggestion for and shortened - has now somewhat fallen by the wayside due to an acute case of how the hell do I end this? I've gotten a new idea, but I'm not sure it'll work all that well.

EDIT: I've had a revelation of sorts in the five or six minutes since this post. Old story, with the ending from the new story. I have no idea how those two go together, but I have the feeling that, if I smash them against each other until something comes out, it might be awesome. As opposed to my feeling about either individually, which is more that something, anything might come out, but will suck.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
how the hell do I end this?

Explosions! Gunfire! Rioting in the streets! Ninjas on mini-helicopters lobbing sharpened kielbasa at the crowds!

Hey, anything except "it was all a dream", right? (-:

-Suzanne

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished a draft for the Shock Totem thing (I know, last minute, I know), though I'm not sure it's macabre enough. I need to revise and trim about 400 words :)scared:) and then I guess I'll send it on. Just has to be today sometime, I assume, since there's no time in their rules. I'm saving the original draft, to expand a bit later for other markets, though.

I feel like I signed up for it so I have to send something. I wonder if many find they don't have a good enough idea and don't submit, or if that's frowned upon? The ideas I kept getting were really better for more than 1000 words. This one may also be, but I thought, eh, what the hell! :)

Shelley

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished mine yesterday (ok, this morning, there were some smallish edits I wanted to make :D). And I have someone looking it over for any huge idiot errors and then I'll be subbing later today.
I think the deadline is midnight, but not sure.

A few people have dropped out already, if you follow the forum over there you'll see. Sometimes you just don't get anything. I can understand that. For me, once I say I'm going to do something, it takes A LOT for me not to follow through. Now, that's not always a good thing...:tongue

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
A few people have dropped out already, if you follow the forum over there you'll see. Sometimes you just don't get anything. I can understand that. For me, once I say I'm going to do something, it takes A LOT for me not to follow through. Now, that's not always a good thing...:tongue

See, I'm like that, too. I would feel far more disappointed by not submitting something at all than I would by submitting something that gets roundly panned.

:crazy:?

(Good luck, by the way!)

Shelley

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
For those waiting, I just read the Mammoth Book of Steampunk submission page comments and saw that the slush should be done within the week.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
For those waiting, I just read the Mammoth Book of Steampunk submission page comments and saw that the slush should be done within the week.

Yeep!

Well, that's a kick of adrenaline. So, I should be getting my R by Monday? ;)

Still nothing from anyone else either. Expecting word from ChiZine any day now. Still a bit early for a response of any kind from Strange Horizons or Every Day Fiction. And I've no idea when I'll hear back from the erotica antho. (That story's been out about 45 - 50 days.)

Best thing to do is keep busy, yes?

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you, too! I'm so excited to see all the takes on the prompt.

Me too.

Mine is just hair-pull inducing. Started out at over 1,400 words. Trimmed to about 1,200. Went out to eat, came back, got it down to 1000, though of a change, and it's back up to 1035. Next time I get it below 1,000 I'm going to error edit and be done with it. :p

Best thing to do is keep busy, yes?

YUP!

Shelley

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goddammit...
I've been rumbled.

Recently I have been having trouble writing. A while ago I taught my self to touch type, because I thought I'd write better, but it didn't really work out like that. My concentration on the typing seems to be affecting my ability to write.

Today I remembered how I used to write. I used to do it with a pen.

And Yay! 2000+ pretty good words and a story that seems to be coming together.

But that's not all that happened. My other half noticed what I was doing and it wasn't something that could be dismissed as 'I'm just dicking about on the internet'.

I was writing, many pages, and he saw me doing it.

And he asked what I was doing.

And I said nothing. Only he knew it wasn't nothing because he could see pages and pages of writing.

So I said nothing important, nothing special, just crap. Just messing about with words. Nothing of any interest to you.

But it's too late.
He saw and I'm rumbled.

He'll ask again. I know he will.
Thank god my handwriting is too bad for him to read!

:mad:

Very cross and substantially paranoid...

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so excited to see all the takes on the prompt.

That's what I found most addicting about this contest in March. My story that time was meh, but I was fascinated to see all the different ways people had gone with a picture of a box in a room, and some instructions on what about the room and the box had to be integral to the story.

I think it also taught me quite a bit about what does and doesn't work in a flash story (having 25 to read and crit all at once - I'm curious to see if there are even more entries this time). Now whether I can apply what I learned or not, I think the jury's still out on that one.

I can't wait to start reading the stories tomorrow, but I've promised myself I can't look at a single one of them until I finish my S&S story (not polish, just finish and get it out for hopefully at least 1 or 2 crits before revision).

I've written another 1218 words on that story today, putting it at about 2230. I think it's still on track to end up right about 5,000 words, and I'd like to get another 600 or so at least done today so I can finish up the story tomorrow.

But I'm currently taking a short break, and what better break from writing a story, than writing a post about writing :)

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
So I said nothing important, nothing special, just crap. Just messing about with words. Nothing of any interest to you.

But it's too late.
He saw and I'm rumbled.

He'll ask again. I know he will.
Thank god my handwriting is too bad for him to read!

:mad:

Very cross and substantially paranoid...

He doesn't know you write? Is it that you're afraid he'll be super critical, or you just don't want him to know?

And yay on getting all those words down!

Shelley