Canajan, eh?

Howleyer Than Thou

Registered
Reaction score
My brother lives there now or rather, nearer to Cambridge. I attended a couple of Oktoberfests there- nice town.

I grew up in Windsor and have lived in London, Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, Peterborough, Winnipeg and Vancouver. On the Sunshine Coast in BC now.

Dr-I-Know-All

Registered
Reaction score
The Oktoberfest is the second biggest one in the world! I've been, and it is fantastic. There are the best German sausages in my home town too . . . the number one thing America is lacking in. I miss the sausages!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Can I still be a part of the love if I'm not living in Canada? I miss it! :cry:
I'm pretty sure at least half of us posting in here are no longer in Canada.

Or maybe that's just my imagination because I've been gone so long. Probably my imagination. (I'm currently in Malaysia.)

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Nova Scotian, born, bred, and still living in the southwestern part of the province. I was looking for this thread since I joined and only found it now... Six months later! :e2thud:

Dr-I-Know-All

Registered
Reaction score
Nova Scotian, born, bred, and still living in the southwestern part of the province. I was looking for this thread since I joined and only found it now... Six months later! :e2thud:

That's so sad! Well, I'm glad you found us!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
The Oktoberfest is the second biggest one in the world! I've been, and it is fantastic. There are the best German sausages in my home town too . . . the number one thing America is lacking in. I miss the sausages!

Been to Milwaukee? Huge German population (along with much of PA, Cincinnati, and New Braunfels and Fredericksburg, TX).

There are a bazillion German places in Milwaukee-- each one better than the last. I miss the German food now that I'm in Edmonton.

Get to Karl Raatsch's or Mader's if you make it. To die for.

Last edited:

marcievaliant

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here, and also I'm Canadian. My SO and I just did a really great East Coast sort of road trip in June, so I'm still really in a I LOVE THIS COUNTRY mood. Back home in Ontario, looking to move soon (just more north of here, definitely not out of the country/province). Just thought I'd stop in a say bonjour!

Dr-I-Know-All

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here, and also I'm Canadian. My SO and I just did a really great East Coast sort of road trip in June, so I'm still really in a I LOVE THIS COUNTRY mood. Back home in Ontario, looking to move soon (just more north of here, definitely not out of the country/province). Just thought I'd stop in a say bonjour!

Bonjour aussi! Il me rende tres heureux que tu es venu!

Sorry, my terrible french aside, it's nice to meet you. Welcome to the Cooler!

Howleyer Than Thou

Registered
Reaction score

I love the east coast. If I had to move from BC I'd likely go there even though the winters would kill me now.

Where in Ont are you from?

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
That's so sad! Well, I'm glad you found us!

Thanks! I'm glad I found the thread finally! :D

My hubby is a proud Caper!

My brother and his wife are currently living in Sydney, although we're originally from my current area and Sis in law is from Massachusetts. :D

Welcome to AW! :D

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I've not been further east than Winnipeg in Canada. Which is a bit of a shame. I hear the rest of the country's beautiful, too. Some day, I'd love to go back to Canada on a photographing tour just for the heck of it.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
A thread for Canadians! Yayayayayay!

Montrealer, born and bred, 3rd generation, bilingual (mother tongue=English).

And I don't say "eh" (well, not much) or "aboot". No matter how many times I get ribbed about that, I still don't hear it...

Cheers! :banana:

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
My fellow Canadians! This thread is awesome. :D

I'm from Southern Ontario, Waterloo region. Regarding the Canadian way of speaking - I don't really talk like that, as unpatriotic as that may be! I spent a few years of my childhood in England, watch way too much American TV, and don't socialize much outside of my British-accent-ridden family (aside from a friend who was raised among Jamaican accents herself, and a couple other friends whose Canadian accents are so strong that I go out of my way to avoid sounding like that), so my accent is a jumbled mess that I like to consider "broad-minded North American." *nods*

The "aboot" thing is silly - most Canadians say "abote", but a lot of us pronounce it "abowt" like Americans do. I don't say "eh" very often, and when I do it's usually as a joke. I do say "zed" instead of "zee" whenever possible, over-accentuate the roundness of the o when saying "sorry", and I drive my writing software (and American proofreaders) crazy with my double-l spellings and using "grey" instead of "gray", among other things. Oh, and "lever" rhymes with "beaver" not "never", and "shone" rhymes with "con" not "prone". I'm glad we've cleared that up. :p

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
Hi everyone! I am sure I posted in this before but I just came back to the forums after an extended break so I shall introduce myself again. I live in Ottawa, where I also grew up, though I went to university in the Maritimes and also lived in Toronto for four years.

I definitely don't say aboot. And I don't think I really use eh all that much. But I do try spell things the Canadian way, though I'm not so picky that I won't use the word "snuck," which originated in New Orleans IIRC. Language change is a good thing!

wotcherH

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm also living in Ottawa, Ontario. I don't say aboot either, and rarely use eh in conversation. I also over-accentuate the roundness of the 'o' when saying sorry, as well as apologize too often. The other day I accidentally apologized to my laptop when I hit it against a table. :e2thud:

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm also living in Ottawa, Ontario. I don't say aboot either, and rarely use eh in conversation. I also over-accentuate the roundness of the 'o' when saying sorry, as well as apologize too often. The other day I accidentally apologized to my laptop when I hit it against a table. :e2thud:

LOL I am constantly apologizing to inanimate objects for my clumsiness!

Nichelle

Fancypants
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, fellow Canucks! I'm so excited.

I'm a Caper, and wherever I see comments in this thread about posters' friends or family living in and around that part, I have to fight the instinct to ask for more details... because, y'know, it`s a small place. I probably know them :)

I live in the BIG CITY now - Halifax, right? Gotta do my book learnin' away from home, but I love it here, so it's all good.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Haligonians, represent! I've been here about eleven years, but I've also lived in Toronto and Montreal along the way. It's a pleasure to 'meet' you all!