Beginning a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

batesey96

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I wanted your opinion on something: I'm starting to pen a Post-Apocalyptic novel and I'm torn between 2 openings!

In your opinion, is it better to start off with a recording from the main character extracted from later in the story with him apologising for the destruction of the Earth or to just write in a linear fashion?

Much obliged!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Either one can work. Why not try both? That's what I do. I hate openings and usually try three or four before deciding on one I like. Write a page or two for each. At some point one will click and you'll find yourself writing more freely from that point on.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Beginnings are something you should really look hard at when you get to the end. You might be surprised that the story actually begins somewhere in chapter 2. At least when you've finished you should have a much better understanding of the story and what it needs to get going.

There have been many times where my chapter 1 actually became a later chapter and I had to write a new chapter 1.

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Beginnings are something you should really look hard at when you get to the end. You might be surprised that the story actually begins somewhere in chapter 2. At least when you've finished you should have a much better understanding of the story and what it needs to get going.

There have been many times where my chapter 1 actually became a later chapter and I had to write a new chapter 1.

Agree with this. I'm about 2/3 of the way through my draft and my beginning will need a total overhaul, simply because I couldn't see how the rest of the book would look like until now. So I'm happy with my current beginning as a placeholder, and not going back to it until the first draft is done.

Ride the Pen

Registered
Reaction score
That's a tricky one!

I would say, go with your gut!

Also, will you be destroying the tension somehow if you give the big bang away right in the beginning (Is it even the big bang of your story you are giving away?)? Do you have enough plot twists, character quirks and other tricks up your sleeve to keep the reader hooked?

Last edited:

Peter Kenson

Registered
Reaction score
Don't sweat it - just write.

I was three chapters into my current WIP before I decided that it needed more intro. So I went back and wrote one. As your story develops, it will become obvious to you which is the better opening or it could be neither of them and you write yourself a new intro.

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
Basically what's already been said. No matter which option you go with, there is a strong likelihood you will need to go back and change it by the time you get to the end of your first draft.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time writing and perfecting my prologue, and do you know what happened to it with my current round of editing? I deleted it, and completely rewrote it from another character's POV.

What you think is right when you start out, doesn't necessarily stay that way. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If I get the beginning right, the rest of the novel is easy. If I get the beginning wrong, the rest of the novel is darned near impossible. This means I sometimes spend more time on the opening that on the entire rest of the novel.

In your case, it sounds like the beginning isn't the problem. The question is do you want the readers to know the world gets destroyed later in the story? Whether you use this opening or not, I'd guess the novel goes on in a linear fashion after the recording, so it's more of a hook than a beginning.

It also sounds like one you could add or remove without changing the novel itself at all. If this is the case, you really don't have to make a decision until the novel is finished.

If the earth is destroyed, do you explain who's listening to the recording?

Mario Mergola

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely write both, regardless. Then, as you write more, gauge if your story is being told linearly or with timeshifts. If the rest of the story is linear, you are probably best with the linear entry (although it might be a nice change to start it with a curveball). If your entire novel consists of timeshifting, then you are probably best writing the intro that way as well.

Bottom line, everyone has said the same thing: don't worry about it and just write. The part of your book most likely to change is timeline, in the end, anyway. It's better to have two options when you start moving things around for real later on.

namid

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say the one which manages to make the biggest impact, the only important thing about the opening pages is that it makes people want to read more. Neither of the two options you present sound that great. Too linear and it'll probably be boring, too near the end and you can take away much of the suspense.

Think about what can be filled in with back story later on, and start at a point where the MC is experiencing some kind of major dilemma or where something dramatic has just happened.

Like everyone else says, try a few things and when it's all done see which works best.

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's a matter of tone? If one beginning suits the overall feel of your story better than the other? A lot of end of the world stories are painted by how you want the reader to feel about the world as we know it being gone...

TheRob1

Trained by the soft master
Registered
Reaction score
Beginning a novel is easy, ending a novel is easy. Finishing a novel from start to finish is hard.

You'll have as many drafts and rewrites as it takes to get the details right along the way, the best thing you can do write the story start to finish without worrying too much.

My first drafts are usually horribly bad. It's not until draft two/three that things start to come together.

Hopefully WLCT

Registered
Reaction score
That'a what happened to me. After I completed my WIP, I threw out my 1st chapter. I now have a better sense of what I should be beginning with. I'm in the editing stage for the rest of the WIP,but every so often I get a "lightbulb" moment to add to my new Chapter 1.

rohlo

Registered
Reaction score
Put the bottom line up front-- tell the reader what you're trying to say overall with the story. It might not be clear until you're several chapters in or have the book finished.

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, this is a good question. I hate openings! Even just chapter openings. Once I get going I get engrossed in writing. Try both ways and see how the story works. Sometimes your characters will tell you the best place to start once you get writing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.