Looking for a Balkan pickling recipe

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

First off, I'm sorry if I shouldn't be doing this here.

But lately I've gotten into pickling, because pickles are awesome.

However I've been trying to figure out my aunt's recipe. She married a Macedonian (or Serbian, I can't remember where he's from at the moment) and cooks a lot of Yugoslavian/Balkan type recipes.

She has one thing in particular that I adore. Her pickles. They aren't really made like normal pickles though. Now, she's not exactly the nicest person ever so when I asked her how she makes them she quipped, "Salt, oil, vinegar to taste. Throw it in a bucket for a few days. That's it."

It doesn't exactly help me out you see. I tried a few times, but they were kinda weird. I have no idea the ratios involved.

I used the Googles and searched high and low and can't find anything, so I come to you. Help me please? :D

My other uncle (on the other side of the family) claims that it's actually Turkish or Arabic. And I've tried looking for those too but found nothing. (Well, okay I found a pickled beets recipe that looks tasty).

Does anyone have any idea of what I'm talking about/how to make it?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Are they sweet and sour and are they sliced? My mother makes some called "refrigerator pickles" which are sliced cucumbers, onion, water, salt, sugar and white vinegar. They are very easy to make, in a bucket (or big tupperware container) there is no sterilizing jars and you can eat them in a couple of days. If this sounds like the one I will ask her for the recipe and post it.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Are they sweet and sour and are they sliced? My mother makes some called "refrigerator pickles" which are sliced cucumbers, onion, water, salt, sugar and white vinegar. They are very easy to make, in a bucket (or big tupperware container) there is no sterilizing jars and you can eat them in a couple of days. If this sounds like the one I will ask her for the recipe and post it.

I'll admit that it's been awhile since I had them. But I think they are sweet and sour but I know that they are sliced!

It does kinda sound like what you describe but I'm very confident about the use of oil. If you want to share the recipe I'd be more than happy to try it out. :)