Blueberry-Pecan Pancake

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I want to follow this recipe to make the dry mix: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/blueberry_pecan_pancake_mix.html

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup dried blueberries
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted (see Tip)
  • 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

The recipe makes 8 servings (2 pancakes per serving). In the instructions it states to whisk 2 large eggs, 2 large egg whites, 1 1/2 cups nonfat buttermilk and 2 tablespoons canola oil in a medium bowl.

I don't want to make 16 pancakes in one shot. Just two. How do I adapt the bolded part to accommodate my needs? Or should I use 2 large eggs, etc., even though I'm only making two pancakes?

Or it is possible to follow the recipe and refrigerate the batter? If so, how long can the batter remain in the frig?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It wouldn't be exact, but I would probably use half of an egg (beat it first and then divide it), an ounce and a half or so of buttermilk (or make your own buttermilk by adding vinegar to regular milk and letting it sit for 15 minutes), and a quarter tablespoon of canola oil.

Seems like a lot of work for two pancakes. Invite a large friend over and make 16. :)

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Recipes are built on percentages and weights more so than on cup and teaspoon measurements. That being said, you have a recipe that lends itself very well to splitting in half. My suggestion would be to split the recipe in half and make eight pancakes. Then freeze the remaining six in three two-pancake servings. They'll be ready to warm whenever you like. Pancakes freeze well and I make 'em and freeze 'em quite often.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, alleycat and Ari.

I'm putting the recipe together to send as part of a gift, and wanted to provide instructions. Freezing seems like a very good option.

Again, thanks. :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Halving it is easy, and that's based on whatever the particular size of pancakes they're talking about is, which may or may not be what the person making it makes.

You could leave that batter in the fridge - it'd let the blueberries plump more too - for a couple, few days with no problem. Just whisk it back when ready to use.

Could also, obviously, as Ari notes above, make pancakes and freeze them (lay individually on a cookie sheet and freeze, then toss in a ziplock so they can be taken out individually).

You could also also use dry eggs and powdered milk and then the person would just add oil. I'd definitely test it out with the all-dry, if you wanted to do that, just to make sure the measurements translated correctly, but it's doable.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I like Ari's idea of cutting the recipe in half and freezing what is not eaten right then.