So what's for dinner?

IsisAnalysis

~fish ~fowl ~good red herring
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken noodle casserole.

Between overfishing and mercury I'm paranoid about tuna. This is basically the standard tuna noodle casserole recipe with cooked shredded chicken substituting for tuna.

Oh, and I make my own cream of mushroom soup concentrate. Sautee diced mushrooms very slowly at a low temp. in butter. When they've given up almost all of their liquid add milk and maybe cream, simmer slowly until the liquid is reduced, thicken with a bit of flour.

Ten times better than Campbell's

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Chicken Fingers

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs w.fresh basil & other seasoning in a shallow bowl
1/4 cup honey mixed w. 1/4 cup mayo in a shallow bowl

Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Cut the chicken into long strips. Coat first w. mayo mixture then w. breadcrumb mixture. Bake at 400 F. for about 20 minutes or until no pink inside.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last night my husband surprised us by making this to go with chicken roll-ups I made (he had to use up some of our garden tomatoes):

2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
1TBL. fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp. Adobe seasoning
1 cup sliced black olives
1 cup black beans (canned)

Mix all together. Delicious side dish.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
pork and mutton burgers...mmm

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Chicken noodle casserole.

Between overfishing and mercury I'm paranoid about tuna. This is basically the standard tuna noodle casserole recipe with cooked shredded chicken substituting for tuna. . .
Brilliant. Tuna noodle casserole is pasta abuse that should have been outlawed decades ago.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
London Broil, marinated for at least two hours in pickle juice (I ate all the dill pickles already :) ), then seared on both sides under a hot broiler, then sliced against the grain.

Homemade fries--sliced potatoes (about 1/2 inch thick, skin on), mixed in extra virgin olive oil and lightly coated w/ coarse salt, baked in 400 degree F. oven for about 25 minutes.

Broccoli drizzled w/ juice of a lemon.

It's only 10 am here and I'm already looking forward to dinner.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
We made about 15 pounds of fresh ram/sow sausage (spiced with freshly ground dried anchos, cumin, sage, savory, bay, white peppercorns, onion powder). It's frozen. I was going to cut off a few chunks, steam them in a little beer, get them caramelized, then deglaze the pan with the rest of the beer, toss in some cous cous, minced onion, celery, garlic and some frozen peas.

Last edited:

Commutinggirl

Registered
Reaction score
Last night, my dear husband and I enjoyed quite a tasty meal with his family...one of those meals which makes him say "wow, we should open a restaurant" He has those moments from times to times :)
Kiddin´ aside, I can definitely recommend the following:

The glaze is quite easy to make and gives a sweet/sour taste to the tenderloin, and to the skins :)
hmmmm

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
We had porcupine meatballs (homemade beef meatballs with rice) baked in tomato sauce (all homemade). Yummy! Plus peas on the side. :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sautéed a couple of chicken breasts in a lemon pepper sauce, and fresh brussels sprouts and sliced leek in some olive oil, white wine and a splash of nori and sesame seeds from our local Asian food store.

Which brings up a useful digression: I have recently learned the wonders of this dried nori (a bright green seaweed) and sesame. It is available as a simple condiment you can shake onto any number of dishes, and provides a really wonderful alternative to salt in cooking. I've used it on both meats and veggies, and tonight I added it to a marinade for chopped beef that I'm going to crockpot with root vegetables tomorrow.

I have actually gathered nori on beaches a couple of times, and it is just plain fabulous, even as a simple munchy. Americans are weirdly put off by seaweeds, but many are edible, nutritious and tasty, and are eaten by other people worldwide. If you haven't, give 'em a go. You might be pleasantly surprised.

caw

Commutinggirl

Registered
Reaction score
Tonight: Aussie chicken (resembles a certain chicken dish from Outback)...

It includes bacon, melted cheese, sautéed mushrooms, a yummy honey mustard sauce.

I have not made it in a few years and I have been reminded of this by my husband who has been begging me for months to finally cook it again.

I will include mashed potatoes as side dish :)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beans

Not chili. This is a family favorite. Simple, just takes cooking time.

1# dried pinto beans. Simmer until tender. I started them yesterday about 11am, and they should be ready around 3pm today. You need to stir them periodically, and add water as it is absorbed into the beans or evaporates.

When the beans are mostly tender, add

1 largish onion, chopped
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1# ground beef (crumble it into the simmering broth)

Serve with cornbread or biscuits.

Because of the long cooking time, I usually double everything and freeze the extra in single serving portions.

You'll notice the lack of salt. My Mom was salt sensitive, so we never added it in cooking, just at the table. If you really had to, you could add some chili powder, but they really are flavorful without it.

MM

Last edited:

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Well, I had an interesting dessert: graham crackers topped with molten chocolate and thin sliced bananas. Heavenly (and not that bad for you :D).

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out that a "Swiss Chalet" opened here last month. I'm sorely tempted to go get fast food chicken for dinner.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had one Jenn, but the Swiss Chalet chickens look great on their commercials.

Tonight we are having roast chicken, probably seasoned with garlic, lemon and rosemary and roasted potatoes. However I am making borscht right now, so borscht is on the menu for lunch this week and probably one dinner.

I love making soup!

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Diet food. Should I be posting that here? :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No! No! Out! ;)

Tonight I had appetizers of sliced filet mignon on garlic toast, assorted greens w. feta chees and wet walnuts w. raspberry vinagrette dressing, dinner was grilled lamb chops w/ rosemary and wonderfully creamy mashed potatoes and steamed green beans. With a glass of chilled chardonney.

My MIL took us out to dinner. :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Maybe in the thread Shawkins started on healthy food that tastes good.

MM
Or you could post it here if you, you know, used butter in your recipes. :D

SRSLY, if it's for dinner, it works here. But shawkins' thread would be good as well.