So what's for dinner?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Seafood gumbo. That's been breakfast, lunch and dinner since Friday. I think the last time I made it I must have halved the recipe or something and just forgot. I don't remember there being anywhere near this much. I mean, there's literally GALLONS of the stuff. Pretty good, tho.
There could be worse things than too much gumbo.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Seafood gumbo. That's been breakfast, lunch and dinner since Friday. I think the last time I made it I must have halved the recipe or something and just forgot. I don't remember there being anywhere near this much. I mean, there's literally GALLONS of the stuff. Pretty good, tho.

The question should be: Do you deliver? I never make that kind of stuff because nobody except me will eat it. :(

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Broccoli Salad: Fresh broccoli crown (peel stems) medium chop, minced red onion, raisins (dried cranberries), slivered almonds.
Dressing: Mix well 2/3 c. mayo, 1/4 c. sugar (Splenda or Stevia), 2 T. vinegar, S&P to taste. I mix it in the serving bowl, then add salad stuff.
Combine well, chill several hours.
Before serving, mix in chopped bacon (precooked Real Bacon crumbles are fine).
Foodgasm.

dryland

Registered
Reaction score
Brinner: Brunch made into dinner.

We had asparagus, made-from-scratch corned beef hash, and poached eggs in hollandaise. Yummmm.

The kids all had different ways of eating their asparagus. One would only eat the tips and insisted I had made a horrible mistake by including the stalks; one ate only the stalks and complained that the tops tasted like ants (which brought up an interesting conversation); and the other ate a stalk only after inspecting it as if it were an alien footstuff. And the funny thing is, this was by no means their first time eating asparagus.

Oh well, I enjoyed brinner.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porterhouse steaks were on sale, so younger son is helping me broil them (medium-rare), seasoned w/ cracked black pepper. Sweet potatoes in jacket. Carmelized onions.

I'm coming to your house!

In the real world, I don't know, and at this point I don't care.

MM

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
pig shoulder slow roasted in beer and worchestershire, rubbed with my spice blend (dried roasted anchos, cumin, peppercorns of white, black and pink, bay leaves and kosher salt all ground up fresh in my old coffee grinder)
baked spaghetti squash
sauteed summer squash with onions and garlic

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Roast duck. Not sure yet what I'll make to go with it.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Duck soup. We had duck for Christmas and I thought it was time to give it a fitting end. I'm making the stock now. Not sure what to add for veggies. I'll see what strikes me when the time comes.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Deli turkey + roast beef + swiss on a hoagie roll. Fluff up the meat, then nuke until the cheese melts. Serve with (low fat faux) Thousand Island for dipping. Best sammich EVAR.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Remind me never to buy porterhouse on sale. It was too thin. The filet mignon part was tasteless and the T-bone just okay. I seared it on a very hot broiler each side (we like ours more rare) but it wasn't great. I think I'll slice remaining meat up and make sandwich melts (thank you shawkins, for the idea!)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Steak, baked potato, and salad.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Remind me never to buy porterhouse on sale. It was too thin. The filet mignon part was tasteless and the T-bone just okay. I seared it on a very hot broiler each side (we like ours more rare) but it wasn't great. I think I'll slice remaining meat up and make sandwich melts (thank you shawkins, for the idea!)

I used to live in a place where you could buy a good steak in the grocery store. Now, around here there's no point in buying steak (or beef in general) in the grocery store. If they ever even have filet or strip which is rare in itself, they're usually rancid and/or you can see an oily green sheen on it. I'm totally amazed how even educated people will buy that stuff here. One meat counter manager even admitted to me that when the meat hits the expiration date, they just repackage it with a new label. When I want a steak, I go to an independent restaurant run by a Belgian guy, despite the supposedly Irish theme. He doesn't laugh too much when I attempt to speak German. You can get beer there that at least has considered the Reinhetsgebot. It's not all just corn and rice beer.

But as to dinner, leftover pork stew. My wife thought the spaghetti squash was boring so I pulverized it in the processor, tossed in a few carrots, mace, ginger, nutmeg and cayenne; folded in some eggs and baked it in a pie shell. Topped the pie with whipped cream and pine nuts...mmm.

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Kale, green onions, Crimean mushrooms, and egg sauteed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Salt and pepper.

The kale gave a decidedly citrus taste.

TumbleHome

Inconsequential. Also: short.
Registered
Reaction score
Long day and I just want something simple and comforting, so I'm baking some chicken (with my homemade coating which I've gotten down pretty well, if I say so myself...) and white cheddar shell pasta with some broccoli. Boring, simple and delicious- perfect for a Monday! :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Leftovers...

Lamb chops - Kale - Mac n Cheese

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
This is actually lunch but since I eat dinner at work most nights...

Had some eggs left to use so I scrambled 'em and added a leftover mixture of cooked onions, mushrooms and bacon, then when it was almost done added a huge handful of shredded cheese. Basically a messy omelet. Delicious.

Dinner will probably be something like a basic green salad with feta cheese, a white nectarine sliced up and either a yogurt or a piece of the bread I made yesterday.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Dairy Queen.

I busted my butt in the garden ALL DAY.

:tongue

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Dairy Queen.

I busted my butt in the garden ALL DAY.

:tongue

Wait. I thought this thread was about food. You know. Real food. Like this:

This is actually lunch but since I eat dinner at work most nights...

Had some eggs left to use so I scrambled 'em and added a leftover mixture of cooked onions, mushrooms and bacon, then when it was almost done added a huge handful of shredded cheese. Basically a messy omelet. Delicious.

Dinner will probably be something like a basic green salad with feta cheese, a white nectarine sliced up and either a yogurt or a piece of the bread I made yesterday.
:D

I'll be on my way now. :gone:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Put some spare ribs in the oven for a slow roast. When those are ready, I'll slather on some sauce and probably pop them under the broiler for a few more minutes. Then it's onto a plate with some potato salad, and I'll attack it WITH MY FACE.

ETA: Well, crapsticks. Not enough barbecue sauce for the ribs. Guess I'll douse them in teriyaki sauce instead.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perdue Oven-Ready Roaster, (homemade) Potato Salad and (fresh) Green Beans

(Raspberry Sorbet for dessert) :tongue