So what's for dinner?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some rather tasteless cod. Even though I used olive oil, garlic powder, dill, lemon slices, and a really nice white wine. It was meh. The bowtie pasta with evoo and parmesan was good.

Tomorrow: chile rellenos for brunch. Yum.

MM

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday's leftover chili. The best kind there is!

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I made salmon for the first time ever. It was surprisingly easy...though I might need more practice on how to get the skin off. I used a rub that included brown sugar, paprika, cocoa powder, chili powder and cumin.

I paired it with a corn and bean salad.

My husband put it on the must make again list. Yay!

I found this recipe and made something similar. It was pretty good :) Had it with couscous salad and bok choy. I just broiled the fish with the skin on. I don't eat the fish skin, but I don't bother removing it before cooking because I think it helps keep piece of fish intact.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I don't know why I never made this before. I've eaten different versions in restaurants. Last night I made my own version of a melt:

Corned Beef Melt

A slice of rye bread, toasted
Top with sliced corned beef
then top with cabbage (or cole slaw)
then Thousand Island dressing
then swiss cheese.

Broil until the cheese melts and is a little bubbly or slighly browned around the edges.

It was so, so good!

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken fajitas. Not too bad. Tomorrow night is enchiladas, no meat, just tortillas, sauce, onions, and cheese.

MM

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Last night was "clean the fridge out" night. I decided to make a casserole--my own recipe. I have no name for it but it comes from leftover taco ingredients from the other night.

1 lb. cooked ground beef seasoned with a taco seasoning (basically cumin, paprika, onion, pepper, salt....)

2 cups cooked brown rice (or white rice)

1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup of salsa

Mix the above together and spread in a lightly oiled baking dish. Top with shredded cheese (I used Mexican style cheese).

Cover with aluminum foil and bake on 350 degrees F. for about 20 minutes.

It was very good!

toneman

"Laborer novelist"
Registered
Reaction score
Potato pierogies with basil, garlic and oregano diced tomatoes, olive oil, and shredded cheddar and Gouda cheese over top.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last night was "clean the fridge out" night. I decided to make a casserole--my own recipe. I have no name for it but it comes from leftover taco ingredients from the other night.

Many years ago I worked with the divorced Mom of four young children who was on a very limited budget. On Saturdays they would have what she called 'skultch'. It was all the leftover bits from the preceding week mixed together and baked in a casserole. If there wasn't any gravy or other soupy type stuff, she would mix in a can of mushroom soup. Her kids loved it.

MM

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Tonight it was grilled salmon filets, with a quick Asian-style sautée of baby bok choi, tomatillo and onion, in sesame oil and soy sauce. The latter veggie dish I learned about on a trip to China two years ago, where it appeared at almost every meal, including breakfast, though without the tomatillo. These little bok chois, sautéed whole, in this simple fashion, are quick and really excellent. Takes no more than ten minutes. Plus the tomatillos, sliced into bite-sized chunks, also work extremely well. It's now a major side-dish in my family dinners.

caw

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Made a faux tabbouleh for tonight off the top of my head. Didn't use mint or cucumber, substituted sun-dried tomatoes for fresh and pearl couscous for bulgur wheat, but it tastes good still.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ham and turkey on wheat with Swiss cheese, mustard and Miracle Whip, and a side of macaroni salad. Somebody hose me down. Getting kinda nuts here.

:e2woo:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Made a faux tabbouleh for tonight off the top of my head. Didn't use mint or cucumber, substituted sun-dried tomatoes for fresh and pearl couscous for bulgur wheat, but it tastes good still.
That actually sounds pretty good, Red. I had tabbouleh last night (along with kibbeh nayeh and baba ghanoush) but I didn't make any of it myself.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chunks of chicken leftover from last night's roast chicken, with onions, red yellow and orange bell peppers, and some soy type sauce over rice.

Why does all of your dinners sound better than mine? Is it just because someone else cooked it?

MM

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Roasted a lamb leg for the first time today. Took a little longer than expected, but otherwise good.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
not dinner, but finishing up making a couple fruit liqueurs (blackberry, raspberry, and mango) which will probably be tasted again this evening....tasty so far. Dinner: thinking salmon sashimi and avacado.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Many years ago I worked with the divorced Mom of four young children who was on a very limited budget. On Saturdays they would have what she called 'skultch'. It was all the leftover bits from the preceding week mixed together and baked in a casserole. If there wasn't any gravy or other soupy type stuff, she would mix in a can of mushroom soup. Her kids loved it.

MM

When my husband and I were just starting out and didn't have much money, I'd do something similar. I'd save all the left over bits (veggies, meat, gravy etc) during the week and add broth to it for soup, or I'd just toss them in some canned soup to beef it up.

Btw it must be the "word nerd" in me, but I had to look up "skultch." Apparently it's from New England and is a variant of the word "culch" which means trash or rubbish, which I thought was an interesting and appropriate name for the dish!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheese dogs and potato chips.

As opposed to last night, which was hot dogs and potato salad. Please to noting subtle differences.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Don't have a clue. Sometime in the next few hours, Hubby and I will stare hopefully into the frig.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheese dogs and potato chips.

As opposed to last night, which was hot dogs and potato salad. Please to noting subtle differences.

Ben, Ben, Ben....none of those things are on your "I had a heart attack" diet.

MM

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
tomorrow: Beef shanks and pork hocks in shallots and red wine.

Oh, happy day.