So what's for dinner?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Baked tilapia w/ cumin, coriander, parsley, roasted garlic, salt & black pepper and sliced raw tomatoes.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Steamed clams at the in-laws, coupled with my homemade bread (which was a success :)).

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Roast pork w/cinnamon & roasted carrots w/cumin, coriander, black pepper & salt.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
McCain's "deep and delicious" chocolate cake.

They've made huge changes to their ingredient list... not sure that justifies eating half the cake in one sitting though.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found bacon. Yes, bacon for the first time in 18 months. I bought the bacon. I fried the bacon. I have not had greasy, salty, stringy bacon in 18 months. My belly is letting me know this. Pleasure is indeed very close to pain.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
I made Italian herbed meatball soup for next week's lunches, and angelwing cookies for snacks. I'm going to make banana pepper spaghetti for dinner once the dishwasher finishes. :)

I found bacon. Yes, bacon for the first time in 18 months. I bought the bacon. I fried the bacon. I have not had greasy, salty, stringy bacon in 18 months. My belly is letting me know this. Pleasure is indeed very close to pain.

Aw geeze. I feel for you. :(

You're in Entebbe, right? Are you close enough to Kampala that you can grocery shop there?

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
I made pignoli cookies (for snacks), eggplant spaghetti (for lunches), and meat lovers' pizza, including making the sauce and crust from scratch. :)

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Pumpkin Shrimp Bisque last night

I love the fall
tumblr_mviqiioDmI1ske5s6o6_500.jpg

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember where I found the recipe, but I stopped at the farmer's market this morning and I'm making acorn squash with sausage stuffing.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Acorn squash w/sausage stuffing was a standard autumn meal at my girl's college in Iowa. I fell in love with that dish.

Annie and I are doing some heavy house cleaning to day so we need a simple main meal but something good because house work makes us grouchy. Our local bank had a bake sale a couple of weeks ago. I managed to pass up the blonde brownies and jelly roll--still regretting that jelly roll--but I did buy a dozen frozen porkies. I'd spotted this classic recipe in the bank's cookbook a couple of years ago but did not tackle the recipe. Simple meatloaf is a challenge for me.

Porkies are a comfort food straight from the fifties--kind of a cross between ham loaf and meatballs. The meatballs are baseball sized and glazed with brown sugar/vinegar sauce. Some serve them with rice but in our family they go with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable--steamed broccoli today.

Grandma never froze them because she had so many of us to feed but they make a great frozen meal. We bake two at a time. Just enough and no tempting leftovers. --s6

Last edited:

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not sure what to call it (the girls call it "Asian Daddy Pasta" because they call another nameless combination of ingredients "Daddy Pasta" and this one is, well, Asian). Basically Ginger, Garlic, Soy, Hoisin, Saracha, Sesame oil, and a little peanut butter (with some shrimp and leftover chicken) stirfried with rice noodles.

bewarethejabb

Monkey With A Typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribophile.com
Crozes-Hermitage, jamon iberico, and chocolate cheddar. And half a gluten free baguette.

That sounds real fancy, but it's actually known as "Jerry did not want to cook, so he grabbed a bunch of stuff from Trader Joe's and shoved it in his face while critiquing queries."

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tomorrow night is waffle night. A bunch of kids from my daughters' high school come over every few weeks and eat unbelievable amounts of sourdough waffles with fresh whipped cream and berries. I should start a sourdough thread...

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Dinner was two microwaved burritos, and a handful of chips with dip.

Dessert was a root-beer float with some root-beer vodka (?!) that my sister brought home. Much better than dinner.

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Dessert tonight (Yes, I am definitely a dessert person. Calms the stormy in me. *Waves hi to Zach who had a great dessert too* ) :

We had a party here last weekend. I made a lot of food, but the one thing untouched was the pumpkin bread. So, I froze it and today defrosted it on the counter. Whipped together a block of softened cream cheese, 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, 3 cups confectioners sugar. I thinly sliced the pumpkin loaf and spread the icing onto the slices, and cut each into fourths.

Yum!

As for dinner--it'll be leftovers. I'll be eating the dessert instead.

Last edited:

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Dinner is Bangalore tacos (pork roast, cooked with cardamom, curry, and garlic, then shreded and cooked again in the above with some sesami oil -- put it on white corn tortillas with cilantro, lime and pineapple).

Desert is half pumpkin/half sweet potato pie in a graham cracker crust.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Pizza burgers/pizza veggie burgers, and spinach.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you like the results, stick them in the slow cooker thread. I love having new slow cooker recipes. Makes life so much easier to have dinner ready after a long day at the office.