Panel changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert_S

Registered
Reaction score
Is it acceptable to change panel layout from page to page? In the novel I'm writing, I start off with four wide panels on a page, then on the next page, five: 4 small and one large.

Would this practice create confusion for readers?

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
It's normal.

One thing, though: You'll have to keep varying them, at least slightly. (It's okay to have a general grid). Thing is, your layout is part of your language. Keep changing the tone, and that becomes part of your vocabulary. Stick to one tone for most of the book, then change for the rest of it, it'll be like continuing a prose book in all-caps half way through. (In that case, you better have a dang good reason.) That would confuse people, but not if you change the layout after page one.

I mean, really, have you read any comic books in the last twenty years? It's standard.

Robert_S

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, really, have you read any comic books in the last twenty years? It's standard.

No. I read wall of text novels.

I fell out of comic books long ago, only picking them up to study after being told I need to put my story to a medium other than feature length movie script if I wanted to keep the rights to story and characters. Moore uses a 3x3 paneling and doesn't vary much. Right now, I'm reading "Watchmen" and will move onto one of the other two Moore novels I have.

I am looking for recommendations so I have a good broad base.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Go to any Barnes and Noble or big box bookstore nearby and find their comics and graphic novels section, or if you have one, go to a comic book store. There are plenty of graphic novels and trade paperbacks you can look at. If you have a superhero you like from movies or TV shows, look for a trade paperback of theirs. As for graphic novel recommendations, Bone by Jeff Smith is my personal favorite. If you're enjoying Moore's work, you may look into Gaiman's Sandman series. Also look into webcomics, especially ones that are complete. Here's a good list of a few of them.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Moore uses a 3x3 paneling and doesn't vary much. Right now, I'm reading "Watchmen" and will move onto one of the other two Moore novels I have.
You may benefit reading Scott McCloud's and Will Eisner's books.

I'm not sure if Moore was one of the first to use the 3x3 panel layout, but notice he does vary it from time to time.

I cannot stress how important it is for people who want to get into writing or drawing comics go out and read comics, physical or digital. Libraries are a great resource a lot of people seem to overlook; most have pretty good graphic novel sections these days.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
To catch two birds with one set of stones, you may want to look for comic books/graphic novels from your own genre, to get up to speed on what's out there, what's been done to death and what's new and fresh.

Robert_S

Registered
Reaction score
To catch two birds with one set of stones, you may want to look for comic books/graphic novels from your own genre, to get up to speed on what's out there, what's been done to death and what's new and fresh.

I'll look into what sci-fi I can. I've heard a lot about Honor Harrington. Can anyone vouch for it's quality?

Any others of the sci-fi genre you guys would recommend?

Last edited:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Only now noticed there was a follow-up here.

Sci-fi is a wide genre. Could be all kinds of stuff. Weird, out-there space opery alike Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples' Saga, or more down-to-earth SF like Astronauts in Trouble by Larry Young and Charles Adlard. (Both personal favorites of mine.) Matt Fraction's Casanova (with Gabriel Bà and Fabio Moon) is right out there with Saga, minus the space. Brian Clevinger's Atomic Robo goes for good old-fashioned science adventure fun while Warren Ellis' Ministry of Space tells an alternative histroy where England has been the driving force in space exploration. If you want to look Internationally, Christin and Mézière's Valerian is a good start - storytelling has its flaws, but the visuals are stunning. There's tons of Japanese stuff, too, but you're on your own there. (I can tell you, though, that the Cowboy Bebop mangas sucked, compared to the anime.)

Those are just from the top of my head. Go to a comic store and ask, or browse webcomic aggregators like The Belfry or The Webcomic List by genre.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
For me, the panels changing would not be unusual at all.
However, I read a variety of comics, including manga and some experimental comics, so I'm used to seeing a variety of panels. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.