Any easy recipes with honey?

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a jar of honey for my birthday. Generally I only ever use honey in tea when the cold-season rears its ugly head but since this is a nice big jar, I think it's time for something more substantial. Except... I'm not much of a cook.

So does anyone have some dead-easy recipes for honey cookies or cakes, or anything else with honey?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Easy and good. I had to learn to cook late in life. I used to ask shoppers in grocery stores for recipes. This one came from a lady who was browsing the meat counter next to me. I picked up a couple of pork blade steaks and asked her how she would cook them. This is what she said--it was so easy I didn't have to write it down:

Put the oven at 275* to 350*

Rinse the steaks and put them in a roasting pan with a cover. Mix a half cup of mustard and enough honey to make it gooey-- a couple of tablespoons. Smear the steaks with the honey mustard mixture. Slice a white onion into rings over the steaks. Add pepper and a bay leaf. Cover and bake until the pork is fall apart tender. Serve as sandwiches on big crusty rolls. This is so good that I once had to step between my son in law and oldest grandson because they were arguing over the last sandwich. Like Solomon, I sliced it in two--s6--s6

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
This recipe isn't mine, and I've forgotten the blog where I saw it. :(

Basic Granola

6 cups oats (not quick oats)
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup veggie oil
2 tsp Vanilla
Cinnamon

Set oven to 300 degrees and mix ingredients in a high-sided pan. Bake for 30 minutes, turning oats every ten minutes. Remove from oven when the dinger goes crazy and turn one more time so it doesn't harden, then let cool.

Variation:
Chocolate granola: Add two tablespoons of cocoa powder to oat mixture before baking and stir in well.

Chocolate chip granola:
Let granola cool in the pan for five minutes, then stir in handfuls of chocolate chips.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a jar of honey for my birthday. Generally I only ever use honey in tea when the cold-season rears its ugly head but since this is a nice big jar, I think it's time for something more substantial. Except... I'm not much of a cook.

So does anyone have some dead-easy recipes for honey cookies or cakes, or anything else with honey?

Oh, honey cake. A staple Rosh Hashana staple. This is a good recipe and really quite simple and forgiving. I'm only saying because you say you don't cook so much - the coffee is meant to be liquid, cold, black coffee, not grounds (I know someone made that error) and you can sub more coffee for the juice or booze or vice versa.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, cornflake! I do cook a lot but am suddenly on the hunt for honey recipes as well, since someone just gave me two kgs of honey!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Tangy Pork Chops

3 to 4 pork chops
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 325. While oven is preheating, brown the chops.
2. Mix the honey, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup together until fully combined. Lay pork chops evenly in a baking dish and pour the honey mixture over them.
3. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for 15 more minutes.
4. Serve, spooning extra sauce from the dish over the pork chops and enjoy!

A staple recipe at our house that everyone we've shared it with loves. :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Whiskey. Honey to taste. Maybe a squeeze of lemon. Good cough syrup.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, cornflake! I do cook a lot but am suddenly on the hunt for honey recipes as well, since someone just gave me two kgs of honey!

Holy bee poo, Batman! ;)

You can also do stuff like honey-glazed spicy veg like carrots and/or sweet potatoes/parsnips/turnips/onions, etc. You boil cubed or sliced or whatevered pieces of said root veg, until nearly done (if you use pearl onions, boil - if you have a regular onion, just slice and skip the boiling part and put the slices in with the drained veg and proceed), then drain well and toss in a marinade of a bit of olive oil, some honey, and spices like cinnamon, clove, salt, little ground pepper, and roast in a hot oven, tossing once or twice OR toss the drained veg in a big frying pan with some butter, drizzle on some honey, sprinkle in the spices and toss around over a medium flame until they caramelize.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Winter squash, such as butternut or acorn, halved, seeds scooped out, cavity filled with honey, a bit of butter, and cinnamon. Baked or microwaved, both work very well. Baking at ~350, in a covered glass bowl, will take about 30 minutes, depending on size of squash. Microwaved, in covered glass bowl, about 10 minutes. Put a little water in the bowl, just to keep things a bit moist.

You can also use honey and cinnamon in a similar way with sweet potatoes, which I fix by cubing and steaming, but also can be microwaved.

caw

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Kansans have been known to drizzle a little honey over a piece of crispy fried chicken. I don't, because I don't like fried food but people swear it is delicious--s6

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Kansans have been known to drizzle a little honey over a piece of crispy fried chicken. I don't, because I don't like fried food but people swear it is delicious--s6
I've used that with an Asian chicken recipe (which I mostly forget, except for the chicken, the honey, the soy sauce and the sesame seeds). I mean, just consider. Honey's a sweetener. It's a great replacement for sugar or *gag* high fructose corn syrup in pretty much any recipe.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy bee poo, Batman! ;)
Honey is actually bee barf :D

I have been using it to caramelise veggies, sauce chicken, sweeten tarts, etc, but two kgs is a flipping lot of honey, so a recipe that used a cup or two is most welcome. Thanks again!

We were given the honey by beekeepers who are our new mentors, as we're planning to start a few hives of our own in the spring. Once we've got ten or twenty kgs of the stuff, we can use it for brewing mead, but two kgs is too much for cooking but not enough for brewing..... anyhow, I'm looking forward to having a massive surplus of honey to play with in the coming years.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As an aside, honey is also nature's best antiseptic. Use it on abrasions, minor burns, minor cuts, insect stings, plant contact irritation, etc. If you ever camp out, or hike in wild areas, carry some honey with you.

caw

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite recipe for good honey: Take a spoon, dip it in the honey. Done!

On a more serious note, search for honeycake recipes. There are lots of different varieties, but I've not yet found one that I don't like. Also, you can use honey in corn or barley bread, and it really accents the flavor.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I happened to go to Sam's Club the other day and bought some vanilla. On the back of the label was a recipe for a Vanilla Honey Ham glaze that sounded awesome.

2 pork tenderloins (about 1 pound each)
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Paprika
1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Mustard, Ground
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper, Ground

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all, keep 'em coming!

Some sound really delicious. I forsee some culinary experiments in my future. :D

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Nigella Lawson's Honeybee cake is amazing and uses a lot of honey. It's the single, most delicious, decadent chocolate you will ever have and it's actually really easy to make.

Her website doesn't tell you this but it does usually sink in the middle after baking ;) It's still the ultimate chocolate cake. Oh my... I need to make it now.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Barbecue sauce:

Melt about a cup of honey in a saucepan over medium heat. Add one can of tomato paste, a teaspoon each of vinegar and lemon juice, and salt to taste. Optional powdered spices include dried ginger, cinnamon, Chinese five-spice, or mustard. Warm and stir until blended. Brush over nearly done ribs or chicken and bake for ten or fifteen minutes. More can be brushed over the finished meat.

Honey-Lemon glaze:

Warm about a cup of honey in a medium saucepan. Stir in the juice of one lemon (about two tablespoons) and salt to taste. Stir gently over medium heat until well blended, the salt is dissolved, and the liquid is slightly reduced. Don't allow to caramelize, but you want it a little thicker than straight honey. Brush while still warm over roast chicken during the last five minutes of roasting, then brush on more once the chicken is on the serving platter.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
A friend of mine used to brew mead with our local honey. One time he accidentally substituted champagne yeast for brandy yeast, and the resulting concoction was dubbed Thundermead by the SCA folks who drank it. Very smooth and deceptively strong. Brandy yeast makes something much gentler.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Tangy Pork Chops

3 to 4 pork chops
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 325. While oven is preheating, brown the chops.
2. Mix the honey, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup together until fully combined. Lay pork chops evenly in a baking dish and pour the honey mixture over them.
3. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for 15 more minutes.
4. Serve, spooning extra sauce from the dish over the pork chops and enjoy!

A staple recipe at our house that everyone we've shared it with loves. :)

We tried this last night on the grill. Not bad! I'm looking forward to trying it on baked pork chops.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I think it'd be a great marinade, but we didn't have time for that, as everyone in the house got home at nine or later and I needed to get supper on the table FAST. :)

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
You can always make your own homemade dijon mustard, mix the honey in, and then you have hundreds of new ways to go with your honey use. Also, where is the honey from? If it is locally collected then you can use a teaspoon a day for pharmaceutical reasons to gain a better immunity from pollens in the air.