Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Year's Best Non-Required Reading, edited by Dave Eggers

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Night Swimmer by Matt Bondurant. I've got The Collected Stories by Amy Hempel on deck.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else read There But For The by Ali Smith? I just started it and so far, so good. I'm interested to see how far the author can take the premise of a dinner guest who locks himself in a guest room and won't come out, even after many days go by. Apparently this idea can span 230+ pages.

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairy Land in a Ship of her Own Making By Catherine Valente
-So far so good, I've heard complaints it over does the whimsy factor for some people, but I like it. I think Valente knows when to tone it down where as China Mieville didn't in his book "I Wish I had Thought of Clive Barkers Abarat First" Un-Lun-Dun.

Also, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

-Read it years ago all the way through, breezed through it then, now? After that I tried re-reading a couple times but never could quite make it. Now I'm setting an easy but fast pace, I think it's the hype for Season Two of the television series, which helps.

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
After months and months of reading books that were simply ehhh ... I'm now reading This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson and LOVING it!

It's a novel about the voyages of The Beagle as told mainly from the perspective of the captain, Fitzroy, and Darwin.

The writing is terrific and it's researched to perfection. How tragic that Thompson died around the time the novel (his first) was published.

These Mean Streets

We Could Be Heroes
Registered
Reaction score
After months and months of reading books that were simply ehhh ... I'm now reading This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson and LOVING it!

It's a novel about the voyages of The Beagle as told mainly from the perspective of the captain, Fitzroy, and Darwin.

The writing is terrific and it's researched to perfection. How tragic that Thompson died around the time the novel (his first) was published.
Sounds interesting. I'll probably get it soon.

A question for other members:

Any historical books anyone can recommend? Any period is fine. I'm looking for good books with good storytelling, compelling writing, good historical ambiance and world-building etc.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. I'll probably get it soon.

A question for other members:

Any historical books anyone can recommend? Any period is fine. I'm looking for good books with good storytelling, compelling writing, good historical ambiance and world-building etc.

Stephen King's 11/22/63 is mostly set in the late 50s/early 60s. Great book, too. One of his best.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished There but for the by Ali Smith. A hard book to describe, I can't do it justice by trying to explain it. Her writing is very good and I enjoyed the book.

Next up: An Ermine in Czernopol by Gregor Von Rezzori via a recent translation to English. Meine Deutsch is nicht sehr gut.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I can, without any doubt, assert that I am currently reading a novel no one else frequenting AW is:

The Wandering Jew, by Eugene Sue.

At the beginning of the year I posted another thread here, announcing my "classic" author to read for 2012, which was to be Walter Scott. But i got distracted, via my 23-year-old son relating something he'd heard about the legend of the wandering Jew, a being fated to live eternally and wander the world in search of redemption.

I have long collected books, and I happened to have a copy of this immense novel (~1500 pages) dating from about 1950. I bought it years ago in a used book shop, and it has a really nice handwritten birthday-present dedication from Maxine to Marie on the inside of the cover. I truly hope Marie read it, or maybe someone else did.

In any case, it is in very good condition, and I got interested enough to give it a go. And am enjoying it. It is melodramatic, in the way that many early 19th-century novels are, but the translation is good, and it is in readable prose. It was a huge best-seller when it appeared, back when, and was at least prominent enough to merit inclusion in the Modern Library Giant editions of the 1950s, which is the copy I have. I suspect that not only is nobody here reading it, or ever has read it, but that very few here have ever heard of it.

It is a bit DanBrownish, involving a complex evil Jesuit conspiracy to control the world, using Indian thuggee, among other malign influences. But, like the novel that intrigued me with Walter Scott (The Talisman), a pleasant surprise to read, so far. I'm about 200 pages in. I figure to finish about when the Philadelphia Phillies win the world series in October.

The story is not, by the way, in any manner anti-Semitic. Which statement seems to be necessary, given present-day sensitivities. It is, from what I've read so far, very much anti-Jesuit, however.

caw

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The Wandering Jew, by Eugene Sue.

blacbird, if you get the chance, I recommend seeing the play Underneath the Lintel. I saw it in 2008, and heard it on the radio a few months later. I'm not sure if it is still being performed anywhere. It is a monologue, framed as a lecture where a man presents the audience with the evidence for the story he is telling. The versions I saw / heard starred Richard Schiff (Toby from The West Wing) and were excellent.

Macca

Registered
Reaction score
Just coming to the end of 'Carmilla' by J. Sheridan LeFanu. Wonderfully subversive and erotic. Great gothic novella which influenced Bram Stoker I believe.

Been mostly reading a lot of non-fiction lately including Peter Ackroyd's books on London (Underground) and his biography of Dickens. Also recently finished Paul Mason's (BBC Newsnight's economics editor) Why It's Kicking off Everywhere, which is a brief narrative & analysis of the social upheavals of the past four or five years (post credit crunch) with particular attention paid to the Arab Spring. Tis very good indeed.

Chiron

Registered
Reaction score
The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope. Oh, that Sir Felix!