• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Janklow & Nesbit Associates

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Equeried Alexandra Machinist on 3rd April. Request for a full received 15th April. :)

Ms Machinist apologised for the delay in getting back to me due to the London Book Fair, but I think her response time was excellent. Good luck to anyone else who has queried this very friendly agent!

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Samara! When you queried, did you past pages in the email, or did you just send the query?

I pasted in my first chapter (about ten pages). I couldn't find any updated submission requirements for Ms Machinist, so I went with the guidelines from her old agency, Linda Chester Associates.

Hope this helps!

Emrys

I can hear the ocean calling...
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Julie Just? And is anyone else having trouble with their website (as in, it doesn't have any links at all) or is it just my browser giving me trouble?

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
Has anyone queried Julie Just? And is anyone else having trouble with their website (as in, it doesn't have any links at all) or is it just my browser giving me trouble?

There's nothing wrong with your browser; their website doesn't have many links (aside from Foreign Agents or something).

Emrys

I can hear the ocean calling...
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Filigree, I've tried Firefox, Safari, & IE and no luck.

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
It's only the worst design if their goal was to encourage queries. From their titles, I can't say it was.

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to see it's not just me!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Nor me. When I see websites like that, I can only feel that I'm being asked to jump through hoops for simple contact information. All I want to do is get a feel for the agency and what it represents. This website essentially says: 'If you don't already know us or have a subscription to PW, we don't even want to hear from you.' I'll trundle off and do the research, but I'm doubtful I'll send them anything.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
Queried YA half-contemporary half-dystopic sci-fi with first chapter 5/6/11.

Request for full 5/11/11.

She's the agent for one of my favorite new authors, Christopher Farnsworth, so getting this far is absolutely amazing. I hope she likes the whole novel.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was checking out the ABNA results on the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award page, and I noticed that one of the judges is Julie Just, a new agent with Janklow & Nesbit. Per the info on the ABNA page, she specializes in children's and YA. I'm not sure about specific preferences (the J & N website is a bit difficult to navigate :)) but I wanted to pass on the info.

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I checked out Julie Just - on AgentQuery (link: http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=1168)

And it says there that:

• Her specialty is children's literature -- illustrated books, middle grade, young adult and graphic novels, with a particular interest in literary fiction, adventure, mystery, fantasy, and romance.
  • Selectively, she is also interested in humor and adult fiction and nonfiction.
So my novel is totally literary fiction but for adults but I thought - what the heck - "selectively" maybe she will be interested.

So I queried her a few hours ago and she replied saying:

"This sounds interesting; I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

What does that mean? I sent a query and ten sample pages pasted in the email. Is this a form response? She didn't say no but she didn't ask for sample pages either.

What does this mean?

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Bunderful, it sounds like she read your query, liked it and will now proceed to read your 10 pages. It was a nice response! Good luck!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely sounds promising, bunderful. Good luck! :)

scarlett9284

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted to Alexandra Machinist through WeBook back in September. She sent me an email earlier this month apologizing because she had forgotten that she had made an account there and if the MS was still available, she would love to see it. It is, I sent it, and have started the nail biting stage.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
Does Ms. Machinist usually take over a month to respond to a full request? I have never queried her before I don't know the average response time. I'm not concerned at all but if this is longer than usual I might consider sending a reminder in another week or so.

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
Does Ms. Machinist usually take over a month to respond to a full request? I have never queried her before I don't know the average response time. I'm not concerned at all but if this is longer than usual I might consider sending a reminder in another week or so.

Agent response times for requested material depends on a lot of variables. Conferences, vacations, client work, etc. Usually the appropriate time for nudging is after the three month mark. Good luck with your full, hopefully you'll hear some good news before then!!! :)

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
Agent response times for requested material depends on a lot of variables. Conferences, vacations, client work, etc. Usually the appropriate time for nudging is after the three month mark. Good luck with your full, hopefully you'll hear some good news before then!!! :)

Thank you for your advice, I won't nudge then. ^^ Since her Twitter hasn't updated in almost a month I have to assume she's incredibly busy.

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
Julie Just said no BTW - she really is looking more to building her young adult and middle grade list. So honored that she was even interested! Just thought to update you all. She was super-nice and responded really quickly and professionally. Seems like she would be a dream to work with...