• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Sun Magazine

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering submitting some of my material to "The Sun," a magazine out of North Carolina. Their submission guidelines are vague at best. I'm not sure if they accept a bundle of different pieces or just one at a time.

Does anyone here have experience with this publication?

Here are the guidelines:

https://thesunmagazine.org/about/submission_guidelines/writing

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Are you submitting poems or a story/essay? I think multiple poems might be okay, but I'd stick to a single piece if it's longer.

I submitted an essay to them last year and got a form rejection back in the mail. Can't remember the exact response time, but definitely within a few months.

Good luck! It's a great publication.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Are you submitting poems or a story/essay? I think multiple poems might be okay, but I'd stick to a single piece if it's longer.

I submitted an essay to them last year and got a form rejection back in the mail. Can't remember the exact response time, but definitely within a few months.

Good luck! It's a great publication.

Thanks. I figured they wouldn't want the three blended as one. Good thing I bought all of those manilla envelopes a few months ago.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
If they don't say they accept multiple submissions--and they don't--you need to send only one piece at a time and wait for them to respond before you send the next.

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
When you are talking about Sun Magazine, do you mean this one?

A friend referred me to them. I've read one of their sample issues, and it looks pretty legit, but the pay rate almost seems too good to be true. I just want to see if any other AWers have heard of it.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I've heard of them and submitted to them (and been nicely rejected by them), so I'd say they're legit. Yes, their pay rates are high, but maybe they're independently financed by wealthy patrons? Also, my impression is they have a broader readership than most literary magazines, which also might be why they have more money to throw at authors.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Also, my impression is they have a broader readership than most literary magazines, which also might be why they have more money to throw at authors.

I think I've seen them at my local food co-op along with other "alt lifestyle" publications, so yes, a broader readership than most lit mags.

I knew someone who had fiction published there. My general impression is that they want short and they want lit fic with a strong humanist bent, so finely wrought prose is less important than it is for the academic journals. I wouldn't submit genre fiction or anything too experimental.