Hello Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnw32

Registered
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a successful literary agent with a proven track record for mainstream/commercial fiction?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I might, but I have no idea of what you are actually trying to pitch. There's a big world out there of 'mainstream/commercial' fiction, and lots of places to find that information. AW can be a great start, but it's certainly not the only stop on the journey.

Not to be rude, but please look at this from the POV of an agented writer: we rec names only when we know what we're dealing with. Otherwise, we'd be pestering our agents with unknown factors and wasting their time. It's not that we're bent on keeping those names secret, or shutting down avenues for new writers.

I'm afraid you'll probably be better off doing some basic research first. Hit the stickies and look for agent listings, look on Amazon and Publisher's Marketplace to see who reps what, and settle in to dig for a while. The more work you do in this phase, the better your later chances of reaching the right agent for you.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Tnw32

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I actually have both recent years of the literary guide to agents & writers market. I didn't pitch because I have the query and synopsis created and I would then write specifically for the agent I am querying. However, the manuscript is completed at 85,305-words. As I mentioned it is mainstream fiction. Unfortunately, I would like to reserve the complete query/pitch specifically for the agents I submit for representation. I hope this helps to make you aware I am not one who would waste the agent's time. I have three books published, all traditional. Though, this time around I'm interested in landing an agent to merge into other literary opportunities.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Query Tracker is a good resource. It lets you search for agents by genre, etc. and provides links to their webpages. Once I have a name, I do my homework to find out what sales they've made, and check the Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks forum here to see what others have experienced working with that particular agent.

Once you have 50 posts you can put your query letter up in the Share Your Work - Query Letter Hell forum and people can provide input that might help you get an agent's attention.

I'm not yet agented. It's been a very frustrating journey for me that will one day pay off. All the best in your search!

Tnw32

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I had no idea about the possibility of posting your query in query tracker. I'm going to look into that. ��

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I had no idea about the possibility of posting your query in query tracker. I'm going to look into that. ��

Oops! No, I meant you can post your query letter here on AW, not on Query Tracker.

Don't listen to me. See the replies below.

Last edited:

Tnw32

Registered
Reaction score
Oh bummer :Shrug:But, thank you so much for your kind reply.

jcwriter

Splish splash I was takin' a bath
Registered
Reaction score
Chris P is being loyal. You can post your query in either or both places. There's also Agent Query, an excellent source of info and query critiques. I might add, too, that for many people, QueryShark's blog is the gold standard for query examples and critiques (she's an agent).

Speaking of agents: since you're published traditionally, do you not already have an agent? Just curious.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chris P is being loyal. You can post your query in either or both places.

For real? Nice! I guess I haven't spent as much time on Query Tracker as I should have.

Last edited:

jcwriter

Splish splash I was takin' a bath
Registered
Reaction score
For real? Nice! I guess I haven't spent as much time on Query Tracker as I should have.

For real. Not as vibrant as AW, but if you want a different set of eyes—or eye, perhaps—it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.