The Bent Nail Saloon.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It's not an improvement, I don't think :)

But it's good.

I don't get BBC4, but living so close to Canada, I get to watch CTV which is a lot better than most American stations. And, now with cable, most of us get BBC America. It's watered down BBC - programmers here must think we have itty-bitty brains.
Whoa. You're way up there in Maine, north of Bah, Habah, even, ayuh. I was a Mainiac for awhile a hundred years ago or so. Lived near South Portland and had a friend who I'd visit from time to time up on the NB border east of Presque Isle. I miss it and I miss the people. Not the winters, though.

One thing. As I recall (and I did get up and down the state frequently), there weren't a whole lot of western saloons. Country music was popular, but horses were not in great supply. Has it changed that much?

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa. You're way up there in Maine, north of Bah, Habah, even, ayuh. I was a Mainiac for awhile a hundred years ago or so. Lived near South Portland and had a friend who I'd visit from time to time up on the NB border east of Presque Isle. I miss it and I miss the people. Not the winters, though.

One thing. As I recall (and I did get up and down the state frequently), there weren't a whole lot of western saloons. Country music was popular, but horses were not in great supply. Has it changed that much?

We live about an hour and a half beyond Bah Habah, up Route One. But I'm from York County originally, used to go shopping in Portland. It's the "other" Maine, all citified now :(
The winters here are milder than you would believe... We're far enough out into the gulf stream to get the benefit. It's the perfect spot weather-wise and cheap good land. Taxes are awful, and the economy stinks.
Country music is all we get, saloons, not so much. We don't have a good bar within two hours! As to the horses, we used to have Appaloosas. No horses right now - I'm trying to convince my lord and master we should get some for driving if not riding. I wouldn't mind a buckboard.

I guess I'd better get off my Chamber of Commerce podium now ;)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
We live about an hour and a half beyond Bah Habah, up Route One. But I'm from York County originally, used to go shopping in Portland. It's the "other" Maine, all citified now :(
The winters here are milder than you would believe... We're far enough out into the gulf stream to get the benefit. It's the perfect spot weather-wise and cheap good land. Taxes are awful, and the economy stinks.
Country music is all we get, saloons, not so much. We don't have a good bar within two hours! As to the horses, we used to have Appaloosas. No horses right now - I'm trying to convince my lord and master we should get some for driving if not riding. I wouldn't mind a buckboard.

I guess I'd better get off my Chamber of Commerce podium now ;)
The downeasters in the winter were not a whole lot of fun in Portland, I'll tell you that. But, yeah, when I was there a hundred years ago the economy was already in a big hurt. Paper mills had problems and (if I remember correctly) the glove industry had pretty much shut down. Tourism was what most people survived by. And fishing too, of course. But no industry to speak of.

But, oh, my, I do remember that drive up US 1. Everyone should visit Maine and take that drive. What beautiful country. With or without horses. :)

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, let's! Or - we could make Maine the "Summer Home" of the saloon, when the temperature starts rising down in.... hey! Where the heck is the saloon? Oklahoma, right? That's where I always picture it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Katie, we have no idea where we are, somehow we all just keep ending up here.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
We had some discussion about where the saloon is. Its between here and there, and south of nowhere. :D

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
If'n y'all want, it could be located in Oklahoma right above K'N'Yan and N'Kai as told in Zenna Bishop's story The Mound (ghostwritten by HP Lovecraft). It's really a cool place - one's red-lit, and another's blue-lit and there's that lightless third level too, but it was sealed off long, long ago.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
Thant explains why I keep finding this place when the last of the sunlight hits the outcrop just right, and the hooty owls commence to call. Just as the first stars start to twinkle on the eastern horizon....

Or, more likely, when I should be working on Chapter Eight and I'd rather hang around hear listening to you guys.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If'n y'all want, it could be located in Oklahoma right above K'N'Yan and N'Kai as told in Zenna Bishop's story The Mound (ghostwritten by HP Lovecraft). It's really a cool place - one's red-lit, and another's blue-lit and there's that lightless third level too, but it was sealed off long, long ago.

There's no Y in Oklahoma, Greg. Dang, and I though I couldn't spell.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Looks like we are going to make it through thsi April 1st un-scaved.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, April Fool's Day is over, this place is dead again, we need to rustle up a poker game or something.

*picks up table*
*finds a few unbroken chairs*
*gets out a bottle of whiskey*
*brings a box of cigars from the buckboard*

Anybody got some cards?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
*tosses deck of cards out from under bar*

If anyone sees a transformer come in, tell her I'm not here. In fact, tell her I was never here. I'm pretty sure she's going to break my arms and legs.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too late, you've already been spotted

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Why, good morning, Reg. You're looking shiny and, um, chrome today. Trip through the car wash?

Love to chat, but I've got to run.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Wicked, I am all clean and shiny. Not to worry, I can find you anywhere :D Modly gift

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Well that's . . . good to know. I mean, it's not like I was hiding from you or anything. :Shrug:

*slides along wall towards the door*

Last edited: