zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
And, apologies, I don't know where else to put this. It's a fiction board, but there are few W1S1 poets out there and no poetry boards. I figured folks would be familiar with A&A from fiction subs.

Well, we're not under the short fiction umbrella any longer, and we've got folks using W1S1 for novels, so I see no reason why W1S1 can't include poetry. Heck, one of my two subs out right now is a poem, and I'm absolutely counting it!

Best of luck to both you and Izz. :)

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
A storming we will go, Izz! Maybe. *crosses toes and throws salt over shoulder, just in case*

Ok, zanzjan; with another backer in the poetry corner, I'm running with this. All poetry acceptances count! Received after June 20th that is. I could cheat and count first-half-of-the-year acceptances, but I won't. :D

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
All poetry acceptances count! :D

Oh yeesh, acceptances ALWAYS count!

And the rejections too. You do know you're allowed to throw yourself a party everytime you hit a nice big round number of rejections, right? Always good to celebrate still being in the game. :)

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ha! I like that idea. I just passed 60 rejections since last August, one shy of 65 if you count the three lost pieces.

Two thoughts:
1. I need to send more work out! :D
2. I'll celebrate when I hit 100. :tongue

And then I'll return to #1 and send more work out...

Opinionated Ant

I walk into things
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeesh, acceptances ALWAYS count!

And the rejections too. You do know you're allowed to throw yourself a party everytime you hit a nice big round number of rejections, right? Always good to celebrate still being in the game. :)

Parties are always good. Especially the ones you don't have to clean up after!

I'm trying to find my final drafts of a few flash bits for NANO contest that ends on the 31st. Doesn't seem likely.

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
Sent off two stories in the last two days, thus retroactively making up for the story that didn't get sent in June. That's what I tell myself anyway. Three out simultaneously is my record. Now...crickets. I'm at nearly sixty days with Apex, and it's kind of driving me mad. I could be picking up rejections here! I want a party!

Eva Lefoy

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writery.wordpress.com
I'm baaack!

Wow, that was a LONG writing break. Or, shall I say, that reading submissions and proofing/editing can really kill the urge to write?

I just got done working for an online ebook publisher and I'm getting back in the saddle!

Problem is: I need some more tentacle stories. Anybody got some? If I don't end up submitting by the end of the year, I'd like to pub my own anthology....

Tentacles!!!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm mostly moved, and starting to actually settle in, which means I should be around a bit more from now on. OTOH, I'm stuck on dial-up for the forseeable future, so that makes back-reading very difficult, so please PM me if there's something you think I ought to see.

In other news, being mod has made me appreciate y'all on W1S1 all the more. Great bunch of people you are. Keep up the awesome work :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to edit a story (in my queue of stories that need rewrites), and there's this bumping noise coming from inside my fireplace, behind me. The fireplace, which isn't in use today, burns wood, and has a glass door, which is fortunately shut. A critter must have got in down the chimney, and it's breathing in this hissing, half snarl. Now there are scratching sounds, and more heavy breathing.

Talk about the three little pigs. I'm having trouble concentrating on my writing with this going on. And I'm not game to open the glass door!

Last edited:

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the excellent makings of a nice little horror story right there. Silver lining!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
After a three weeks, I finally finished a story again. I think I have been kind of in a rut. But I really like the new one and can't wait to send it out.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm trying to edit a story (in my queue of stories that need rewrites), and there's this bumping noise coming from inside my fireplace, behind me. The fireplace, which isn't in use today, burns wood, and has a glass door, which is fortunately shut. A critter must have got in down the chimney, and it's breathing in this hissing, half snarl. Now there are scratching sounds, and more heavy breathing.

Talk about the three little pigs. I'm having trouble concentrating on my writing with this going on. And I'm not game to open the glass door!
Wow, that must be freaky. I heard about a story where a robber tried to break into a house by going through the chimney. He wound up getting stuck and died, and the family didn't find out till later on when they started up the fireplace. Gee, what's that smell...? Just something to think about. :evil

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Yep defcon, it's freaky alright.

What a horrible story! Urban myth? We did pull a couple of bat skeletons out of the chimney after we first moved in though.

You're right, Datepalm, I can think of a few story lines that might spring from this. Even the skeletons might tie in. In real life, my son stuck some of the bones to a piece of A4 paper and took them in for show and tell in his first year at school. He was so proud!

And gettingby: great to hear you've written a story you love. :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
If it was a robber in my chimney I'd let him rot in there, but (far likelier) if it's a frightened, hungry thirsty animal or bird trapped in there, it would be nice to help it back outside. :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
If it was a robber in my chimney I'd let him rot in there, but (far likelier) if it's a frightened, hungry thirsty animal or bird trapped in there, it would be nice to help it back outside. :)

Agreed - though nice is probably not the word. More like filthy, stinky and dangerous. There's a disease here, like rabies, that people can get from bat bites, and it has no cure. Plus, it's not actually inside the glass door area. It's somewhere higher, in the chimney itself, which is narrow and pitch black. But I might get my husband to take a look. (Wearing thick protective gloves.) I'm not game. Then, we might block the chimney from intruders with chicken wire.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Just sent out my 60th submission for the year. No good news yet, but it isn't from lack of trying.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
That's a lot of subs, gettingby!

Finished a short story draft tonight. Featuring Goldar, who appeared in a story i had published last year. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Finished a short story draft tonight. Featuring Goldar, who appeared in a story i had published last year. :)

Oooh, I really liked the Goldar story. Let us know when this one finds a home :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else ready for the summer to be over and markets to reopen for submissions? I feel like I have run out of places to submit since I already have stuff out at basically all the suitable markets that are open right now.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else ready for the summer to be over and markets to reopen for submissions? I feel like I have run out of places to submit since I already have stuff out at basically all the suitable markets that are open right now.

The literary market season is just opening up! So there's those, if you like waiting a year for responses and such, sigh.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I'm waiting for the literary journals to open back up.