A Life of Crime and Chocolate

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep going asroc! Glad to her your wee rat is settling in.

Had my oncologist's appointment today and have been told I don't have to go back. From now on I'm only going to see the surgeons about the preventative and cosmetic surgery. She says everything is fine and the pain I'm in right now is totally normal and actually an indication that everything is healing, because it means the nerves are all starting to heal and starting to work again. So I was out today celebrating.

Whoo-hoo!:PartySmil

Fantastic news, Zelenka.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Had my oncologist's appointment today and have been told I don't have to go back. From now on I'm only going to see the surgeons about the preventative and cosmetic surgery. She says everything is fine and the pain I'm in right now is totally normal and actually an indication that everything is healing, because it means the nerves are all starting to heal and starting to work again. So I was out today celebrating.

Just read this -- yeah, Zelenka! Great news!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there asroc. It'll all be worth it in the end. :Hug2:

I'm making chocolate muffins - with choc-chips. Will share. :D

Have you tried chocolate muffins with a tad of Tia Maria poured over them?

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Very late to the party - but hooray, Zelenka! :hooray: Here's to life becoming normal again. (Or better than normal. :D)

I can't pour liquor on cupcakes. Somehow it disappears before dessert.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
A friend gave me a recipe for a jello shot of sorts. It involves instant pudding mix, cool whip and RumChata. Which is premade horchata with the rum already in it. I keep forgetting to pick up the cool whip at the grocery and have now gone through two bottles of the RumChata. It's pretty fabulous.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Happy Friday everyone.

I'm off to Cornwall tomorrow to see my parents, then have the rest of the week off and Easter. I'm hoping the weather will perk up, but it's pretty grey out there at the moment!

tarak said:
A friend gave me a recipe for a jello shot of sorts. It involves instant pudding mix, cool whip and RumChata. Which is premade horchata with the rum already in it. I keep forgetting to pick up the cool whip at the grocery and have now gone through two bottles of the RumChata. It's pretty fabulous.

:D

... on the boozy dessert front, here's a good cocktail / dessert recipe:

1 measure vodka
1 msr creme de cacao (preferably white / clear, but dark will do)
1/2 msr creme de menthe
1/2 msr orgeat (almond) syrup

Put one (or two) scoops of the best quality vanilla icecream you can get into a sundae glass and pour the liquid over the top. Dark chocolate sprinkles go well, especially 70% cocoa chocolate.

You may need a straw as well as a spoon...

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy Cornwall, Osg!

I had a day out in Edinburgh yesterday, only there was an accident on the M8 so it ended up taking five hours instead of one to get home. So today I'm just chilling!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a little while since I checked in.

Blake's in quite a bit of pain, he's uncomfortable and its so hard to see him this way. He is on a high dose of steroids which is making him eat everything in sight and making him swell, he's gained 2kg in a week, its also making his tummy hurt. That's a lot for a small 7 year old.
He is having a lidocaine infusion tomorrow to hopefully reduce this nerve pain. It's going to be a long day.
I'm so fortunate to have a wonderful mum and sister around me for support. My sister was with me the weekend and my mum was with me Thursday night. My sister is also coming up to the hospital with me tomorrow.
I prey it takes his pain away be ause I hate seeing him suffering.

Tha ks for the thoughts.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
That has to be the worst feeling in the world, French. :( Huge hugs to all of you, and many prayers.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a little while since I checked in.

Blake's in quite a bit of pain, he's uncomfortable and its so hard to see him this way. He is on a high dose of steroids which is making him eat everything in sight and making him swell, he's gained 2kg in a week, its also making his tummy hurt. That's a lot for a small 7 year old.
He is having a lidocaine infusion tomorrow to hopefully reduce this nerve pain. It's going to be a long day.
I'm so fortunate to have a wonderful mum and sister around me for support. My sister was with me the weekend and my mum was with me Thursday night. My sister is also coming up to the hospital with me tomorrow.
I prey it takes his pain away be ause I hate seeing him suffering.

Tha ks for the thoughts.

:( So sorry to hear this, FM. :Hug2:'s to you both.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
French, praying the lidocaine works and eases Blake's pain.:Hug2:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard that a former co-worker of mine (from two former employers) has died.

I actually mentioned him in a thread here a few weeks ago. He was the guy who was so depressed by what he felt were irredeemable flaws in a table he'd built, that he abandoned a woodworking hobby. But he'd often say that "some day" he might try again, "when I have the time".

Turns out, after a forced retirement (job-loss), he had the time, but used it to drink himself to death. Pushed away everyone he knew, friends and family both, and spiraled to what by all accounts was a very lonely and bitter end.

Sigh.

I'd lost touch with him, because he stopped replying to emails. (Turns out, that wasn't unique to me.)

And I wasn't very close, but we shared some good & bad times on the job, and he was usually a genial fellow to work with.

I'm just having a hard time reconciling that person and the person who found life so painful that they ended it. I knew he tended depressive, but most of the time it seemed more like performance art than something he couldn't cope with. :(

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:Hug2: Intro, my dear.

I did not know him long, but I had an office next to him for a while, and I would have said the same as you about his personality. Addiction is a horrible affliction.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my, I haven't checked in here for a long time, but I am soo sorry to here of people's hard times. I hope Blake is feeling better FM. Introversion it is difficult to watch someone self destruct like that.

:Hug2: to both of you and anyone else who might need one.

I had some sort of good news to share, but it doesn't seem appropriate right now-

hope everyone finds peace today.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, Intro. :( I'm so very sorry. :(

Shea, please share. We could all use a smile. :)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, Intro. :( I'm so very sorry. :(

Shea, please share. We could all use a smile. :)

only for the smiles :Hug2:

most of you know I found a new publisher who has picked up my series after my old publisher dropped me due to changing their focus. Or rather the new publisher found me which was quite flattering- anyway, they have also agreed to pick up Socrate's Child- a book that is not in my series. and the 4h in my series BROKEN- so that's 5 books coming out in the next two years.

And on another writing related topic- thanks to a fantastic beta reader i sort of had an epiphany- it didn't hurt much- but the novel i have been working on and off on for the last two years without much progress, has finally hit a chord with me- I basically have started over and it was the best thing that could have ever happened to the novel- my characters are now three dimensional, the plot is better, the dialogue snappier, the entire thing is just wayyyy better than it was and maybe the most i mportant thing is I am having fun writing again after over two years! So yeah a little sunshine to send your way- :)

oh in case any of you are interested - I posted a chapter ( not the beginning) in SYW- its one I'm having problems with so if any of you are feeling generous.... http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8809573#post8809573

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

Sheadakota, that's great! Congrats, and thanks for sharing! Good news is not inappropriate to share.