Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Alyssa L.

Registered
Reaction score
I see this thread has been dead lately, but I just wanted to pop in and say hello!

I'm Alyssa. I'm 19, so I technically still qualify for this thread! :) I've been lurking around AW for years and recently decided to (finally!) join the discussions. I read and write YA and am just finishing up on some revisions for my WIP. Hopefully it'll be ready to query in a few months. *crosses fingers*

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Wow everything is really dead!

How's everyone's New Year going so far? Any cool writing projects or news? Any cool non-writing related news?

Oh and nice to meet you, Alyssa! I'm Tally.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
This thread has been dead, nice to see someone else around!
I'm Kate :)
This month has been good for writing so far. I'm revising a YA fantasy novel at the moment, and it's got a long way to go but I'm making lots of progress, which is nice.
How about you?

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Nice!

I'm working on this short story/fairy tale rewriting right now, trying to edit it up a little bit for a class haha. Oh, and your Korra avatar is great!

KateH

Registered
Reaction score
Nice!

I'm working on this short story/fairy tale rewriting right now, trying to edit it up a little bit for a class haha. Oh, and your Korra avatar is great!
Cool!
Haha, thanks. The word 'avatar' was what made me think of using the image in the first place. I love Korra :)

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I love Korra too! I was thrilled with the ending haha :) And I obviously love Avatar as well.

So what's your novel about?

KateH

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was hoping that would happen, but I never thought it actually would!

It's high fantasy, about a guy who can tell if people are lying. He gets a job working for the shah, and now someone's trying to kill him.
Man, I need to work on my 'elevator pitch'. My usual response to 'so, what's it about?' is a lot of long pauses :D

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Haha I feel you! I never know how to describe my books. "It's about............................................. a character."

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Alyssa! :) Don't worry, I'm twenty-one and still around so of course you qualify. Getting ready to query can be an exciting time. Good luck!

And I'm twenty-five. :tongue Belated welcome from me, Alyssa!

...How's everyone's New Year going so far? Any cool writing projects or news? Any cool non-writing related news?...

I have cool non-writing related news. Not only am I graduating ((college) so is HR, PS :D), I'm going to Spain for two weeks after graduation, and possibly London and Denmark, too! :snoopy:

KateH

Registered
Reaction score
I have cool non-writing related news. Not only am I graduating ((college) so is HR, PS :D), I'm going to Spain for two weeks after graduation, and possibly London and Denmark, too! :snoopy:
How exciting! I've always wanted to visit Spain. Whereabouts in the country are you visiting?

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Almunecar, Cordoba, Zaragoza, Madrid, and Barcelona--among others. I'm super excited about it. Kind of nervous, too, though, now that it's actually real and not just a possibility.

KateH

Registered
Reaction score
Almunecar, Cordoba, Zaragoza, Madrid, and Barcelona--among others. I'm super excited about it. Kind of nervous, too, though, now that it's actually real and not just a possibility.
Nerves are normal. I'm sure it'll be super fun!

DaisyH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! I haven't been here in months. What's everyone up to? Is anyone doing Camp Nano? :D

KateH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! I haven't been here in months. What's everyone up to? Is anyone doing Camp Nano? :D
Hi Daisy!
Nope, not doing Camp Nano. But who knows, I might later this year. And I'll definitely do actual Nano :)
I'm working on the third draft of a novel at the moment, though I've made very little progress in the past week since I've been so stressed about school starting again. I'm on a short holiday at the moment, and it's been nice to have a chance to relax!

DaisyH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Daisy!
Nope, not doing Camp Nano. But who knows, I might later this year. And I'll definitely do actual Nano :)
I'm working on the third draft of a novel at the moment, though I've made very little progress in the past week since I've been so stressed about school starting again. I'm on a short holiday at the moment, and it's been nice to have a chance to relax!

Hey Kate!

This is going to sound weird, but I think we know each other. Your userpic looks super familiar-- I think we might have been writing buddies during NaNo and talked a bit?

Wow! Goodluck with that third draft! And all the best for school this year :>

KateH

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Kate!

This is going to sound weird, but I think we know each other. Your userpic looks super familiar-- I think we might have been writing buddies during NaNo and talked a bit?

Wow! Goodluck with that third draft! And all the best for school this year :>
I do have the same picture on Nano, so that could be it? What's your username over there?

Thank you! What are you working on at the moment?

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'd forgotten about Camp NaNo! April, right? Hmm. That could be fun, but I probably can't do it. I might do the July one, though!

BG! It's been forever! It's exciting that you're graduating. And man, that will be fun. I was in Madrid for a few days this summer, and it's great (but insane- they do everything so late there! People don't even sit down to dinner until like 9 PM, and parties don't even start until like 1 AM so there are people running amok at all hours of the night. Actually, I think people go to bed and have a nap before getting ready to go out. I know I did.)

And London is super cool, I love it there. I actually met Lisa there over the summer too! I don't know how much Lisa comes around here these days, though.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
It really has been a long time. Typically I'm crazy busy, except occasionally at work (ironic, no?). I'm super excited to go. I'm actually going with the psychology department here, so I'll be with crazy people (who have embraced their craziness, and thus are able to help others through theirs :D) the whole time. I'm not sure what all we're doing, but I know they're planning on going to a bullfight. I'm seriously considering skipping out on that, though. I just.... I get really sqeamish at that kind of thing.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I definitely feel that. I don't think I would go to a bullfight, to be honest. Not only does it hit the animal cruelty card for me, but I can't even understand the appeal of human-on-human fighting sports and they bore me to tears (well, except of course martial arts because complex kicks and and flips and what not are incredible to watch even though I understand nothing). So I'm with you on that.

How about writing? Anything going on there?

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting to hear back from a couple of betas about AM before I get into another round of revisions. Most of my writing energy lately has been going towards school stuff--especially my history capstone. How about you?

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Um, I've been doing some short stories for school lately, and some other personal stuff just for fun that isn't meant for actual publication. I have a lot of stories I'm sort of working on but not, and a lot of stories (or rather, a few series) that I've been worldbuilding for years and are becoming beautifully developed and complex, but are not yet written.

So, you know. I'm chilling.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
I miss writing for fun. I'm seriously debating just going ahead and doing another round of edits without those betas I'm waiting for, just so I can do something that *I* want to do. I mean, I've typed about 10K in the last couple of days, but that was transcribing interviews for research I'm helping with.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
:e2poke: ...Is it even breathing?

Double post, I know. But it's been over a month since the last one. :tongue How is anyone who still checks to see if there's anything new?