Does this count?

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm wondering if this counts for my NaNoWriMo or not.

I had started a novel last year and gotten probably about 11k in and put it down. I had two MC's and I was writing in 1st person POV and swapping between who was telling the story.

This month I naturally wanted to participate in NaNoWriMo, I don't know if it was the pressure or what, but I literally sat for three hours and wrote only 600 words, deciding I was putting too much pressure on myself I decided to take a break and just read old stuff. Which brought me back to this WIP.

I started over, scrap and redo I suppose, and decided it would be better as a 3rd person POV and even the main point of the story (MC dying) somehow changed. It's seriously just taken off. It's going great, I'm definitely going to finish it this month and everything. I'm stoked.

I just can't decide, does this count as participating in NaNoWriMo since I started it completely over this month, or if this doesn't count because it's kind of like a scrap and redo.

Really want to participate in NaNoWriMo but I don't want to claim to be a participant if I'm not playing by the rules.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
It's fine. At the very least, you're a rebel.

I'm finishing up WIPs for Nano.

They're pretty flexible on the rules. Main thing is getting 50k new words.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It is really hard to fail at participating in NaNo :D Even those who break the "rules" are just considered rebels, who are fully embraced by the NaNo community and can still win. The only only way to cheat at NaNo is to count words that you didn't write in November.

If you are writing a novel and writing brand new words, you are a full-on non-rebelling NaNo participant (you don't even have to start a fresh book anymore). Go to nanowrimo.org and create a book and start adding your word count.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
i would say that if you are just editing it into third person no it wouldn't count.

However, if you are rewriting it into third person, then it totally counts. New words are what matters. No words in November to be specific. Besides, in the grand scheme of things, NaNoWriMo is really about you being productive.

I'll be rewriting a story I started last year into first person once I finish my new novel in a few days. You had better believe that it's going to count. I'm rewriting everything. New words, new perspective, new feel. It counts.