Where am I? What am I doing?

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
First, let me say that I don't even know where I should be posting this. I am new this forum thing and this place is so vast, I am finding it overwhelming.

I am writing what I thought was going to be a picture book, but through browsing these forums I realize maybe it's actually an "illustrated storybook"...or something? (It's currently 1025 words and I honestly don't know enough about any of this to even pretend I know what I am talking about ;))

Anyways, I want to learn as much as I can and interact with others, specifically those who are writing for children. I also want to reach my 50 posts so I can share my work, because that is where the piece is. It needs new eyes on it. But, I don't know where to find these opportunities. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Where do you all "hang out"?

Thanks!

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi SMH! Welcome to this side of AW :)

You're in the right place. Check out the forums here for more of what we're all up to in KidLit. Read the stickies at the top! Full of information you might need and didn't even know you were looking for.

I'm writing upper MG right now, but I don't really do picture books. You can find more info on that in this stickied thread here.

Perhaps someone with more info on whether yours is a picture book or something else will stop by here in time, but I just wanted to welcome you to the MG side of things. I'm more of a lurker these days, and we might be a little awkward and smell funny over here, but we're glad to have you!

ETA: When I first joined, I was encouraged to simply offer critiques on others' work in SYW. Best advice ever. Honestly, looking over someone else's ideas has really helped me beef up my own skills. It'll get you to your 50 posts, but that shouldn't be your aim. Offering advice or ideas/suggestions will allow others to see that you're really interested and care about helping. That, in turn, will allow you to get some good crits when you post your own piece up, whenever that may be, since you've shown others that you're here to learn/help.

Last edited:

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
awkward and funny smelling: not unfamiliar territory for me.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW.

The illustrated story book concept is on the downward slope to oblivion at the moment. Publishing is cyclical, so it may yet return. (Most of us hope it does.)

Meanwhile, checking out SYW might help you see where you can cut words to get down to picture book length. You can help others along the way and learn from the comments folks make down there.

To learn more about writing for kids in general, check out Harold Underdown's website (Google his name). He's a guru in the field.

I also very much recommend the SCBWI. (Disclaimer, I moderate one of their forums.) They are the professional organization for children's authors and illustrators. Check out their website for more info on everything they do, etc.

Good luck with your book and enjoy the process.

Last edited:

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Debbie. I will check out that website you mentioned. Am I correct in thinking that SCBWI requires a membership? Is there any benefit to be had without a membership?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
You can use their forums without membership. There is a wealth of info there.

You can attend some of the conferences without being a member too. This depends on the region. The rates will be higher.

Nothing else comes to mind, but I've been a member for a long time.

There are plenty of benefits to membership. There are publishing houses that look more kindly on members because they know members are likely to have more professional knowledge. The SCBWI puts out market guides - guidelines for members can even be a little different (more open - I haven't looked at that in a while though). There are webinars as well as conferences.There are networking opportunities, legal advice, and how to info. That's off the top of my head.

When I was a teacher, I was a member of the appropriate national teachers' organization. This is my professional organization as an author.

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again, Debbie. I will look into it a little further. I am really trying to gain my 50 posts here, but I just am not finding the opportunity to contribute as much as I'd like. Any tips on locations around this forum that are more active?