OctNoWriMo 2014!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got a very little bit of writing done today, but my brain wasn't in it, and it's mostly crap. I've been reading like a fiend, though; I bought two books on Outer Banks history and have already finished both. One of them was one of those little locally-written ghost story books, and while the writing isn't awful, exactly, I had to giggle when the author had a woman in dire straits say Agh!. The other is about shipwrecks in the locale and it's pretty exhaustively researched, with lots of photos.

Heading back home tomorrow...

Current WIP word count: 77,211 out of 90,000
Books read: 2 out of 4
Blog posts: 0 out of 2

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Did 1 hour of homework today - edits on two papers. I'm hoping to squeeze in a note-n-quote for the literature review now-ish. I have 2 hours and 45 minutes before I have to be ready for the cruise.

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Reading some, but no writing, except one very minor blogpost - mostly pics. Have to find a new way to make me not only sit down, but actually start editing.
Days race by.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Read-n-noted a 19-page reading for my literature review. It only took an hour, actually, which is really fast for me. I could maybe even squeeze in another one, if I was going to do it that quickly. But I don't think I will.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
October so far:

1 blog post.

Starting to read Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, I think I started with the wrong one last time, because it bored me. So, trying out Mort.

4'000 words written, but scrapped 2'000 yesterday. Will have to re-do those today :) 7.23 AM, coffee is here. Let's do this.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, Mort is an awesome book, in my opinion! But then again, I've loved nearly all the Discworld novels I've read (about 15 of them). :)

On my end, I'm awake way early this morning. I woke up at 3.30am, which is in that tricky period where it's not worth going back to sleep when I have to be up at about 6.30am to see off sis's friend, but early enough to still feel tired. Anyway, long story short I might be able to get another reading read-n-noted, given the early hour. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Something is wrong with this story, but I don't know what. I'm having a hard time coming up with scenes. And the scenes I do have are tiny, like 200 words. I have no idea how I've accumulated nearly 3,500 words. I guess I need to rethink this...yet again. It's just not strong enough. Sigh.

I've been making progress on the other stories too, so I'm quite happy. This weekend I'm going to work on the story that's almost done. I'm itching to work on it, so that is a very good thing.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Did another read-n-quote reading this morning. It was only about 17 pages, so not very big really. The next one in my queue is 33 pages, though, so I won't have time to do that now. Got to be downstairs for the wedding rehearsal in about 2 hours 20 minutes... And I'm pretty sure the entire rest of my holiday will be packed with family/social commitments.

Anyway, I got more done than I thought I would at this time yesterday, so I'll count that as a win. :)

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Yesterday I wrote about 1100 words of what was supposed to be flash, but doesn't even feel like it's properly started yet. I think I just can't write short things or something.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spent most of the day on the road again, but now I'm back home feeling rejuvenated after my little break. Got just a bit written today and will probably start reading a new book tonight.

Current WIP word count: 77,392 out of 90,000
Blog posts: 0 out of 2

Last edited:

Katje

Amoebakat at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katjevanloon.com
Starting to read Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, I think I started with the wrong one last time, because it bored me. So, trying out Mort.

I first tried to read the Discworld books with The Colour of Magic, which was before Pratchett figured out the art of plot (his words, not mine, though I can't find back the quote of course). Couldn't actually finish it though I valiantly tried several times, so my sister flung the witch books at me and I devoured those. Since then I've read Reaper Man and Going Postal, both of which I enjoyed.

I really need to read more of them.

Katje

Amoebakat at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katjevanloon.com
Ok, October goals.

1. Finish reading Offbeat Bride and A Practical Wedding.
2. Re-organize/clean the office so I actually have a space to write again.
3. Work on From the Ashes.
4. Outline Anala.
5. Survive the Writers' Fest.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking I won't get much written today - I've got the desire, but I didn't get much sleep last night, so I think I'll take a nap :p and then there's a big game later today. Stoked!

And I figured out the problem with the story - the plot is still weak. This thing is such a thorn in my side!

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that I won't be getting any homework done till Tuesday. Today (it's Sunday morning in Australia) will be taken up with wedding stuff (the wedding is at 3pm, but the groomsmen will be doing stuff for most of the day, starting with breakfast in the downstairs restaurant at 9am), and then tomorrow will be spent travelling home.

So yeah... Not my most productive week. Ack! And I have classes starting back on Wednesday. Although it'll be good to get back to Uni, I think.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! We won! AND it was an upset. *sigh of contentment* I love football. <3

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good day today - I got a fair amount written on the WIP as well as a blog post.

Current WIP word count: 78,177 out of 90,000
Blog posts: 1 out of 2

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting a lot done, but chugging along at 500-900 words per day at this point. Loving the positive energy! :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I survived the wedding (oh my ack what a long day!) and will be traveling back home today. Won't get any homework done today, I imagine.

Anyway, surviving the wedding was a goal, so I can check that off now, even if I'm falling behind on homework. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! My NFL team won yet another game. :D
And I just checked the AP Polls and my college team shot up the ranks. Top 10, baby! It was a crazy day yesterday. Lots of upsets. One team that wasn't even ranked shot up to Top 10 too.

Not doing as well on the writing front. :( Tried to do some writing yesterday, but it just came out terrible. Felt forced. I don't know what's the problem. I can see the scenes in my head, but it's not transferring to paper. :(

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Busy with errands and housework today, so not a lot of writing done. I started beta reading a friend's novel and realized I never asked him exactly what he wanted from me: just overall impressions, general notes or a line-by-line. I'll see him tomorrow so maybe I'll have a chance to get that sorted out before I go any further.

I started Nathaniel Philbrick's Away Off Shore (a history of Nantucket) yesterday; I think I'll enjoy it.

Current WIP word count: 78,410 out of 90,000
Blog posts: 1 out of 2

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Spent 9 hours traveling today, but I'm finally HOME! Tomorrow I have last-minute homework to do (readings and listening to a lecture recording) and then the day after my classes start back up (they would've started back up today, except it's a public holiday here).

Tonight? Tonight I intend to get a good night's sleep for the first time in a week.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I checked, and my catch-up readings today amount to about 55 pages, which isn't too bad. And the lecture recording should only be about an hour.

Haven't started them yet, but I have done some grocery shopping. Waiting for mum to get out of the shower, then I'll shower and THEN I'll try to dive into this homework. :)