Query for a picture book?????

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
I have a two page picture book that I would like to send off for possible publication but have never done this before for a picture book. Do I write a query which would be at least as long as the book or just a short cover letter with the two page story?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Read the guidelines of the people you intend to submit it to. In general, you send in a cover letter with the manuscript, but some folks prefer a query. Some, but not many, want you to query three picture books at once. You just have to do your research on this.

It is a good idea to have two more picture books ready to go. You will be asked for them by a few folks. You query the best one.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a two page picture book that I would like to send off for possible publication but have never done this before for a picture book. Do I write a query which would be at least as long as the book or just a short cover letter with the two page story?

A two-page picture book isn't really publishable. Traditional picture books are 32 pages.

Picture books are queried with the entire text included below but... two pages?

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
The book is 32 pages but it is all contained on two pages with a number of pages of the book on one sheet of paper. Sorry for the confusion.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It used to be that even major publishers of children's books would let writers submit directly to them, sending the complete manuscript. There are fewer publishers now that allow that although there are a number who still do.

If you're submitting the manuscript, then you only need a brief cover letter.