finding a Publisher

aperson

Registered
Reaction score
When I began reading AW now over three weeks I read stickies and many threads, some dating back to 2010. I read every link that has been posted. Then I joined.

I am a groupie. I am receiving an education.

I wrote a PB manuscript and my son did the illustrations (he is an artist). I would like to published this book with the art. I know the rules, publishers have their own illustrators but you all have mentioned there are some publishers who do this as a package. I can't seem to find that list. I have searched for them, read blog lists, etc. Maybe I am not using the correct search term.

Can someone direct me where I might find them. I am aware there may be only a handful. I could self-publish, but I would prefer to try what I think is a more 'normal' (?) path first. Plan B would be to self-publish. Thank you, karen

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
If you want to be traditionally published, your best bet is to seek an agent, not a publisher. Look for agents who seek author-illustrators and present yourself and your son as a package deal. There is no one list of these agents - you just have a lot of research ahead of you.

This is one list of interviews w/agents who rep picture books.

aperson

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I didn't think about an agent. I had only published a story in Cricket magazine, which was ages ago. Then I just submitted.

So now I will re-read stickies and more threads about query, along with agent research.

As a side note I lived on Capitol Hill in 2000 and that is when I wrote my PB.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I'm upper MG, so I'm not really in the know, but I was looking at the Dystel & Goderich website the other day and noticed that agent John Rudolph says in his profile that he, "would love to find the next great picture book author/illustrator."

aperson

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I will read his site. Funny, I wrote this book in 2000, put it away and rewrote it every year for the next three years. Our son spent a year on the illustrations (he is a Catholic Monk so does not have much time). Anyway it was put away again. Three months ago it went through a final edit. We were joyful. Now I need to learn to write a good query letter to agents that I am finding and more thanks to to the help you all are providing. I know there is an end to this, but even though there is an underlying excitement there is also a bit of hopelessness. Maybe that why some writers, not all, decide to self-publish.

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
I know there is an end to this, but even though there is an underlying excitement there is also a bit of hopelessness. Maybe that why some writers, not all, decide to self-publish.

I can relate to this. I haven't put in nearly as much time as you have but I go back and forth between wanting to take the traditional route and wanting to self publish. Though, through my research it seems like self publishing a picture book is difficult. I get the impression most of the self publishing options are geared more for text only works.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to your motivation behind publishing. For me, I have a story that is very dear to my heart, which I wrote as a tribute to my grandfather who passed away, and I sort of just want to have it in print to share with family and friends. On the other hand, I've had this life-long goal to traditionally publish a children's book. I am considering self publishing this one and taking my chances with some other more marketable story ideas I have. We shall see...
Good luck on your journey!

aperson

Registered
Reaction score
I reread my post, I am ashamed...sounds like I was whining.

That said:

I looked at createspace and self- publish in a paperback format along with color art. From looking at the site and reading numerous threads it would put the book in family hands but that's about all, I think. But it is doable.

I also want that 'wow' feeling in that someone published me because they believed in us, the author(me)/illustrator(son). There wouldn't be a bookshelf presence (and I am vain enough to desire that). Our nearest bookstore is 120 miles away so maybe that does not make a difference.

Your goal is basically the same as mine, to share your writing. I am in no way saying you are vain...that was for me.

Since writing that post, I have read more threads. I now have a list of publishers and agents that accept PB author/illustrators which turned out to be larger list than I thought. Some of these just want a query and some want the whole submission.

I put it in excel as someone did in a thread that I read. Now I am able to have a quick look at the basics and then will go to the internet for any other information when I am ready. Our eldest son is an artist and he did the illustrations.

Then I went to work reading query hell threads and learned so much. So ultimately this is where I am beginning. I have rewritten mine 20 times. Each time it reads better.

Also because of all this I have drafted a third PB. Without AW's inspirational threads and reading what authors did, why and what they go though I probably would have stuck with knitting. The AW community helped me reach into myself a bit more.

I think it's worth the effort to explore and work on reaching a larger goal than to rush into a short term gratification. This is where I am now. I think maybe, you feel the same about your goals. Maybe you could think of self-publish as Plan B. So I also wish you a grand journey. ~karen.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed this, that might suit you aperson. https://kdp.amazon.com/kids It's self publishing, which you said is not your first choice, but it's appears to be a new service to help you use your own illustrations.

Last edited:

aperson

Registered
Reaction score
I have looked at this. I just don't think PB on any sort of device (Kindle, Nook, etc ) looks inviting. I am old so maybe it was the way I grew up. The library was the a joyful place to visit.

But I would consider createspace as a Plan B.