DecNoWriMo 2014!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
If you're using Word, make sure those annoying squiggly lines are turned on. Those should help with line edits, because you can see at a glance *most* of the typos. Granted, some will get through - such as mistyping "an" as "as" or "and", or some such. But the squiggly lines will catch most of them. It's still best to actually read it through, though, and not just rely on spell checker.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Fall term is finally done with. :D Now I can get back to doing... Something. I was apparently so focused on getting all my schoolwork done for the break that I actually forgot about trying to find things to do to keep me busy DURING it. Whoops. Hm...

I got an A- in my Comics Studies class. Still waiting on three grades.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the A! :D

And I have the opposite problem - I planned too far ahead with things to keep me busy, so now I'm overwhelmed.

I mean, I have plenty of WIPs, but I also bought some Italian and physics textbooks, so I can resume learning those at my own speed, and I bought a bunch of CDs and DVDs, my TBR pile is waaaaaaay too intimidating, and I am currently trying to get through 4 video games, along with applying for jobs.

*flop*

Too much! I call Uncle!

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I had an absolutely insane and off-the-wall dream last night. I woke myself up at 4:30 am to write it down.

I wanted to incorporate part of it into my WIP, so I deleted the last 900 words and wrote 3882 new words. At several points, I thought I wrote myself into a corner, but I see the light now. The story took a weird direction, yet it's much less predictable and feels more in tune with the actual world my characters live in.

Basically, for an entire chapter my MC doesn't move but the other characters move in and out of the scene, revealing information about themselves and the plot that normally wouldn't happen. Since the book is written in one POV, it's fun having the other characters mingle amongst themselves.

The downside is that my MC has to rely on other characters to bail her out at this point in the book. She's a really active character overall so I'm not too concern with her passive nature for this chapter.

Just hit 70k in my WIP. It's going to be a minimum of 80k, unless something drastic happens in this upcoming chapter. Sorry about the long post. I'm very excited about the progress made today!

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
If you're using Word, make sure those annoying squiggly lines are turned on. Those should help with line edits, because you can see at a glance *most* of the typos. Granted, some will get through - such as mistyping "an" as "as" or "and", or some such. But the squiggly lines will catch most of them. It's still best to actually read it through, though, and not just rely on spell checker.
I wish I was just mostly looking for spelling errors. Unfortunately, since I don't edit at all while I write, the line editing consists of a lot of fixing clunky phrasing, and removing excess description and pointless rambles. I fix the typos and spelling at the same time, though, so at least I don't have to go through it again.

Anyway, I'm up to 40,000 words for the month, and getting close to being back on track for my 100k goal. I really want to pull a lot of words the next couple of days because I hate being behind. It irritates me endlessly.

And I got my new Mac all set up and working (which was more challenging than it had any right to be), so I'm in computer heaven now at least.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been almost a week of writing next to nothing and it's driving me crazy because I WANT to write - but between the show schedule, Christmas prep and houseguests, there's just been no time. I have Monday and Tuesday off and am praying I get some time to myself because the not-writing is making me super cranky.

The goal of finishing this draft by the end of the year now seems optimistic to the point of unrealistic.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
It's been almost a week of writing next to nothing and it's driving me crazy because I WANT to write - but between the show schedule, Christmas prep and houseguests, there's just been no time. I have Monday and Tuesday off and am praying I get some time to myself because the not-writing is making me super cranky.

The goal of finishing this draft by the end of the year now seems optimistic to the point of unrealistic.

Ditto. I get super-cranky too if I don't have time to write.

Emily Deibler

Registered
Reaction score
I finished NaNoWriMo 2014 with 50K, whoo! :D I was also an ML. I think for December, my primary goal is to organize all of the scenes and character POVs in chronological order so the rewrite will be easier.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on winning NaNo, Emily. I could never be a ML. I have yet to even make it to single write-in, since I'm always just too busy writing to be bothered to leave the house.

I've found a new project I can knock word-count out quickly on, so I'm catching up to my goal and intend to be fully caught up by the end of tomorrow. But the editing is languishing somewhere in my general cloud of depression. I learned to write through mental health issues a long time ago, but editing through them is so far proving a lot more difficult. *sigh*

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I wanted to incorporate part of it into my WIP, so I deleted the last 900 words and wrote 3882 new words. At several points, I thought I wrote myself into a corner, but I see the light now. The story took a weird direction, yet it's much less predictable and feels more in tune with the actual world my characters live in.

That sounds like a fantastic writing day! :partyguy:

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I got my new cover today from my publisher so I'm over the moon.
It seemed to revitalize me somewhat too. After editing the first three chapters some, I think I finally grabbed the voice for the H/h so things are starting to go smooth!

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I've jumped into editing. I realized that I was not keeping up with my 'nanochallenge' of writing an extra 30k for my NaNo novel, so I started editing, instead. It's going well.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally made some headway:

Finish first draft of WIP: 103,970 out of ?????
Read two books: 2.5 out of 2 COMPLETED
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Very disappointing. Somehow this system was supposed to be better than the computer? :Shrug:
Exactly!
I have class tonight, and I did all my homework, so I'm feeling very virtuous. If someone had told me back in high school that I'd be a grown up excited to do my homework and spending extra money to go to class, I would not guess it was a foreign language class...
I love learning new languages! I'd love to learn one more, but I don't have much time. What language are you learning?

Being creative is never a waste of time! I hope your critique will be just the spark you need to get back into it.
If I gave up writing, I could at least redirect my creativity toward something with a bit more instantaneous gratification. :D

Well, I am officially on vacation. So I don't see much writing in my future for the next few weeks. The alpha hadn't gotten back the critique to me yet, so I don't know yet what feedback there are. She'd already finished reading it, but I wasn't able to meet to discuss, so I asked for it to be written up, but then she ended up too busy to do that, so when I get it back is kind of up in the air now.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've gotten ahead of my writing goals for the first time this month, which is a good feeling. I'm very slowly catching up on my editing goals too, and may just about be able to get one of the completed manuscripts ready to give to beta readers at the end of December.

Outside writing, I'm trying to stick to new exercise goals I created, something which would be easier if the people around me were at all encouraging, but eh, first world problems, I suppose. I need to practice spending less time lamenting the laziness of people around me and just do the thing.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm failing DecNoWriMo. I haven't really been counting how many words I've actually written this month. I started at just under 50k and am now over 52k, which is sad. Though to be fair, I've also deleted a lot as well, so I know I've written more than 2k, but still. I was hoping to be at the 65k mark by now. I guess it's better than a word count of zero.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Final day of helping sis move is over. *flop*

Tomorrow I really need to look for work, but after I've applied for whatever jobs look interesting, I'll be taking it easy.

Oh, and I'm officially giving up on my stated goals for December. Not in any state to work on a WIP right now, though I'll try for January.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear you, Cliff Face. I'm not giving up on my December goals, not exactly, but I suspect I'm not going to write that one blog post, and I know now there's no way I'm going to finish the first draft of my WIP by the end of the year. But I'm going to keep plugging away and see what happens.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm just going to try to recharge my mental batteries for the rest of the month. I already feel significantly more with-it than I was in November, but I'm not there yet.

So, today I shall be applying for more jobs, but other than that, it's time to relax. I'm feeling only a little sore today (from all the moving) so that's a good sign.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly!
I love learning new languages! I'd love to learn one more, but I don't have much time. What language are you learning?

I'm learning French, badly and slowly. I will say that I'm a better student now, but that's about all I've got going for me. I have no talent for language other than listening well, so hopefully my classmates don't mind my ugly french.

But I'm going to keep plugging away and see what happens.

Keep at it :D The draft has to end sometime, right?

Yeah. I'm just going to try to recharge my mental batteries for the rest of the month. I already feel significantly more with-it than I was in November, but I'm not there yet.

Recharging is a nice thing!

I'm about a quarter through beta-two. I'd love to have it done before Christmas, but I'm working every day between now and then, so that might not happen. I think it becomes a direct choice between finishing my reading, or wrapping my gifts before I go home to see the family. I did want to wrap things, mostly because when I do it night-of (always) they look slap-dash at best. We shall see.

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I got a bearded dragon for Christmas (a little early). So needless to say I've not done anything with this novel in days. Been too busy watching this fun little guy.