Which classic?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Yea! My sister watched the movie was a kid. I think that was the only animated adaptation I thought was decent.

Also I'm noticing a trend in reading particularly good fiction for young people. A lot of them seem to have more of the "not for the children, but for the childlike" philosophy.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
"Animated adaption." Cool. Will have to check it out. Even if it's just decent I'll probably enjoy, being a fan and all. "Childlike." That's me in a nutshell. So may explain why I gravitate towards kids books, besides their being just plain neat.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Did someone mention Roald Dahl? If not, must do so. So did.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Yep, reading Danny Champion Of The World.

This takes me back to when I received BFG as a gift. I hope I still have it, if not I want to re-buy it. That book is extremely nostalgic.

Godyth

Crusader Rabbit is my hero.
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't resist resurrecting this thread....

He's that fairy tale guy right? Cause I'm actually specifically interested in fairy tales.

Princess And The Goblin?
And you can get them for your kiindle free on Amazon.

Something I'm just now reading, and never knew existed until my Dad handed me a copy, is The Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat. A children's novel written in 1847, it's set during the English civil war and is about the orphaned children of landed gentry who hid from Cromwell's Roundheads in the New Forest.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame. One of my all time faves.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Magdalen... those were some of my FAVORITES! Loved the Five Little Peppers and the Bobbsey Twins.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I read every Bobbsey Twins book the school had. I bought one recently. I'm afraid they haven't held up as well as I'd hoped.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Peter Pan, which is very much of its time, but has some interesting ideas. The Jungle Book was also an interesting read, but I enjoyed Treasure Island the most out of older middle grade books I've read.

For newer middle grade, Neil Gaiman's Coraline or The Graveyard Book and almost all books by Diana Wynne Jones would be good.