• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Critter with too much time on their hands...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppster

Registered
Reaction score
...seeks interesting* m/s to exercise story muscles on.

Willing to look at short stories up to ~20k.

SF/F preferred, but can look at other genres on the understanding I might not get the finer points.

My crit style sort of looks like this (posts #9, #11 & #14). I’m more interested in the bigger picture than the copy-editing level of things (lols, do you want a dyslexic proof-reading for you??), but can get down to polishing sentences if that’s the feedback you’re after. Don’t have any credentials to boast about. Form your own opinion from what I’ve posted for critting.

Not looking to swap, just doing it for the fun.

PM me if you’re interested.

*given SYW is kind of a ghost-town right now, interesting means ‘has more than 200 words, arranged in an order that approximates the English language’ :tongue

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope your offer has received some PM "action," ideally lots. This board is usually tipped pretty far the other direction, so many people wanting beta readers (or critique) and so few offering to provide that.

Maryn, optimist

Muppster

Registered
Reaction score
Alas, complete silence so far. Maybe folks don't like my critting style? Or just everyone's got a novel. *shrugs*

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
I reckon it's just most people seem to have novels, so the 20k might be too little :)

I like your crit style, but my fantasy MG is 50k unfortunately.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I can really recommend Muppster as beta. She really delivered a very thorough crit, looked at my story from various angles, and while I'm still digesting all of the comments, I can sort of see the shape of a better story in the future.

Muppster, you rock and I owe you one. Thank you very much for your hard work. :)

Muppster

Registered
Reaction score
Muppster, you rock and I owe you one. Thank you very much for your hard work. :)

You're welcome :)

Still available for critting if anyone else has non-novel-sized stuff they want looking at.

Last edited:

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
If you still want to do this, and are open to it, you might consider doing 15-20,000 word chunks of novels. There are many who might be interested in help with parts of their novels. For example, I wouldn't mind someone taking a look at the first part of mine. It needs work.

Just a thought.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I've got a couple of SciFi stories that I recently revised and need some fresh eyes on, if you're still in the mood.

Muppster

Registered
Reaction score
If you still want to do this, and are open to it, you might consider doing 15-20,000 word chunks of novels.

For my own (admittedly selfish :)) reasons, I want to be looking at a complete story. I’m interested in how the beginning/middle/end work together, thinking about other people’s stories is a fab way to practice on top of writing my own efforts. I'll probably step up to critting whole/sections of novels when I start writing longer stuff myself.

I’ve had a few PMs in the last week, so it’s not been a dead loss.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
For my own (admittedly selfish :)) reasons, I want to be looking at a complete story. I’m interested in how the beginning/middle/end work together, thinking about other people’s stories is a fab way to practice on top of writing my own efforts. I'll probably step up to critting whole/sections of novels when I start writing longer stuff myself.

I’ve had a few PMs in the last week, so it’s not been a dead loss.

Offering to do work for others is anything but selfish. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Muppster

Registered
Reaction score
*bump*

Had fun with a handful of great stories (Heroes! Sea serpents! 49ers, high fantasy adventure, fearsome kitties!). Stretched my story muscles in all sorts of directions I wouldn't normally go. Totally up for more. :D

Poke me if you want some critting.

cylemmulo

Registered
Reaction score
Sent you a PM Mupster. Thanks for the help in the community; I'm sure we'll all pay it forward :).

Status
Not open for further replies.