Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
I'm delighted to share that my memoir has sold to William Morrow!

It's a diary I kept during a recent criminal prosecution with which I was involved. I feel very lucky to have landed at such a great house.

Many thanks to AW for so much good info and encouraging discussion. The Bio/Autobio/Memoir section isn't too busy, but I devoured all of the old threads.

Here are some details that may be of interest, since they come up lots in discussion here:

1) My ms was complete before my agent approached publishers. I did not prepare a formal non-fic proposal, but I did put together a 370-word query-like description with blurbs.

2) I paid for a literary lawyer to look over the situation before we started submitting. I wanted my agent to be able to assure publishers up front that there were no legal stumbling blocks in the overall premise. Of course the publisher's lawyers will now go over every small detail.

3) I don't have much “platform” per se, but the editor and publicist did ask me about my willingness to do publicity before making the offer. They also checked with me if I had already published any parts of the story anywhere (“no” was the good answer), and I have the feeling that some of the more open-ended questions they asked allowed them to gauge how well I might do in interviews.

4) No doubt having a current-events hook helped, but the case I was involved with is not at all famous. My premise is interesting, but the feedback I got through the submission process is that it was the writing that sold it. That should be encouraging to us all.

When my agent emailed with news of the offer and the subject line CALL ME, I was out and about with my young son. We live in England and my UK cell phone can't call New York. I ended up Skyping her from my iPad out in the middle of a busy sidewalk, trying to catch decent data reception ;-)

I'm glad to have AW to share the happy news with. Thanks, all.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! Way to go, Emily! :partyguy:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Wonderful news! And thank you for sharing the useful information about the process -- I have no doubt it will be helpful to others.

Happy for you!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing that info! Let's hear it for great memoir sales! :banana:

[I want to know the name of your agent. :)]

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and best of luck with it!

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing. Fantastic!! Enjoy the ride ahead and best wishes to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.