The Novel Challenge Hub

CallyW

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Novel challenge, CallyW! Have you set a deadline for when you want to be ready to query yet? Sounds like you're on a good track already - ten pages a day, not bad at all!

I have to have the first 5K ready for the Good Housekeeping Novel competition which closes at the end of March. I'm thinking about the end of May as a deadline to have the whole thing finished.

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
End of May is the deadline I've set myself as well! (only right now it doesn't look so good:cry:)

Good luck with the Good Housekeeping novel competition! :e2cheer:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats to those with amped up word counts...and chapter counts!

Hugs to all who need hugs. We write because we like to write, don't we? Funny how often the words turn into our adversaries. (Scratches head...or turban, whichever comes first. Turban in my case.)

Got several more of my little chapters written in the past couple of weeks.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com

Congrats to those with amped up word counts...and chapter counts!

Hugs to all who need hugs. We write because we like to write, don't we? Funny how often the words turn into our adversaries. (Scratches head...or turban, whichever comes first. Turban in my case.)

Got several more of my little chapters written in the past couple of weeks.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri -- This is incredibly off topic, but I was wondering how you pronounce "Sat Nam?" Just as it looks with short "a" sounds, or long vowels?

It's a cool greeting! :Thumbs:

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
I need some hugs. Or words of encouragement. Or a miracle.

I was so happy with my new-found enthusiasm and urge to write. But the last couple of days, all I've done is add fresh words to the document only to delete them again. Nothing seems to work, and now I'm about to lose faith in myself. Again.

:Hug2::Hug2::Hug2:

I with you there. It is soooo frustrating to have an urge to write and then find yourself saying WTF? Been there, done that. :e2writer::deadhorse

Although it may be hard, try not erasing what you wrote. You just need to get something on paper.

Just found this thread. I'm editing my sci fi novel Separated. I went through it and took out everything I hated and it's gone from 75K to just over 30K but the story is much better, or it will be once I write it.

I'm now going through it again and writing down what needs changing and where new scenes need to be added. I'm working on 10 pages a day. I did 9 pages on Sunday and 11 pages yesterday.

I do most of my writing and editing in the evenings and sometimes it's hard to get my arse into gear when I've got in from work.

:welcome: I usually suggest to folks to keep everything in there until they have a first draft, but if it makes it better...:Shrug:good for you! Welcome aboard!!!

When I had a job and wasn't a full-time writer, I would spend the time I had free during the job (lunch, breaks, etc) and hand-write then. Then, I would transcribe and edit when I got home. That way, I wrote something when I was fresh and transcribing and editing took less brain power.

Last edited:

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the hugs, Siri and Sky (is that OK as nickname in here?) Do need them right now...

Although it may be hard, try not erasing what you wrote. You just need to get something on paper
Thank you for your kind advice - but it doesn't work that way for me. Move on from crap will only produce more crap, and then I will lose my confidence, motivation, momentum and direction, and end up in the ditch. Or bogmire. Or dung heap, take your pick. I have to keep at it until I know it's good, then I can move on to the next scene.

The only thing that sometimes works, is to jump forward and write a different scene. But this time, I think I really need to push on and get this one done. It's a roadblock that will only grow if I don't shift it.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Siri -- This is incredibly off topic, but I was wondering how you pronounce "Sat Nam?" Just as it looks with short "a" sounds, or long vowels?

It's a cool greeting! :Thumbs:

Rhymes either with "But Mom!" or "Taught Mom!" :)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind advice - but it doesn't work that way for me. Move on from crap will only produce more crap, and then I will lose my confidence, motivation, momentum and direction, and end up in the ditch.

The only thing that sometimes works, is to jump forward and write a different scene. QUOTE]

I'm that way too. I write from sentence to sentence, from paragraph to paragraph. And if it's [word deleted], I can't get the next sentence or paragraph. Only thing that helps is working on a different chapter. (Which may be why I prefer doing lots of little ones.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in. *waves to all*

@ Siri - I noticed you're from Eugene, OR ... I used to live in Medford, OR and right about now I'm desperately missing the mild weather (buried in 9 inches of snow right now in Iowa).

On topic: Sent out 13 query letters so far for my novel, "Vampire Savant". 2 rejections. Does that make me 0-2? or 2-13? I was never good with numbers...

But, I got some feedback from a friend who is reading the story and he says he just can't get into it. Which is worrisome and has me reconsidering the query letters...although, he says vampire stories are not his cup of tea but if he can't even get into it...I think that certainly reflects on my writing.

Not sure if I need to put on the brakes and go back to the old drawing board or not...

Well, at least I'll stop sending out query letters until I get this issue resolved...

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
@ Sarah G
May be a good idea to let your novel rest a little, before you start to work on your beta's suggestions. But if what you're really doing is procrastination, because you don't like to write descriptions - then perhaps not...

You don't need page and page of description, do you - sparse style can be great, too! Just a few key details here and there to ground the reader... Keep at it, you'll get there!!!

And yay! for the soon to be sent off short story!

@Torill Thanks! Yeah, I think I might go back to writing and give the other one a break. That and I'm still waiting for feedback on it from some others. On the plus side, I wrote down a better opening for novel 2 of it:D On the description side, the problem is I never know how much to put in and I think that's why I don't write a lot of it:) Oh and late :Hug2:

Congrats to everyone else:hooray:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in. *waves to all*

@ Siri - I noticed you're from Eugene, OR ... I used to live in Medford, OR and right about now I'm desperately missing the mild weather (buried in 9 inches of snow right now in Iowa).

On topic: Sent out 13 query letters so far for my novel, "Vampire Savant". 2 rejections. Does that make me 0-2? or 2-13? I was never good with numbers...

But, I got some feedback from a friend who is reading the story and he says he just can't get into it. Which is worrisome and has me reconsidering the query letters...although, he says vampire stories are not his cup of tea but if he can't even get into it...I think that certainly reflects on my writing.

Not sure if I need to put on the brakes and go back to the old drawing board or not...

Well, at least I'll stop sending out query letters until I get this issue resolved...

We got some snow here last week, but nothing like 9 inches.

Have you run the novel by a couple of vampire story lovers? And do you maybe need to tweak the query? Did you run it through QLH?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Tin Cat is edited and subbed! :hooray:

Now to obsessively check my inbox every half hour...

Oh, and write the next one :D

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

:Hug2: for all those that are having a tough time, mine is a little messed up right now.

Yesterday I fought all day to just get 200 words and thought I'd go to bed early but instead i had an idea and went to write it down real fast. This turned into 1k wds in 1 hr :p

This is the second time (this month), I'm beginning to think it's cause it's just me, the cats and the chars.

Good luck to everyone :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats, Misa!

KitCat, wouldn't it be nice if inspired words poured out of us when we wanted them to! I give my muses a talking to, but they don't always listen.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, Monday night I wrote most of a really awesome, terrifically horrifying chapter in the novel. A chapter I hadn't really intended to write, but I got to the end of the previous chapter and suddenly realized a scene snippet that had been cut out of an earlier draft would make a good center-piece for another chapter here (instead of the wooden argument I had originally meant to put there).

Added another 1k - 1.2k to the novel, very excited. Tuesday morning I get up and my harddrive is.... dying. Blah. It has been temporarily resuscitated, the novel is now backed up (which most of it was backed-up, just not the most recent chapter) and I'm working on reassigning computers to best suit the work they need to do, find a replacement drive for the laptop, etc.

I may not be around as much this next week while I try to sort everything out. (I'll still be writing, just not bragging about it as much. :p)

Aggy, had it up to here with tech problems

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
@Aggy - Ugh, yeah that's a nightmare waiting to happen. I'm glad you were able to back-up your story. I literally have three back-up systems for my story...

@Siri - I think I will at least post the first chapter of my book on the forums for horror/vampire fans and see what kind of response I get.

I've actually started working on a third novel that is going fairly well but it's a Young Adult story. I'm enjoying the adventure as I travel through this new tale with these new characters.

Here's a big *pat* on the back for everyone still trudging away...keep fighting the good fight!

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
*pats thumb drive in pocket and caresses google docs wtih other backup*

Sorry, Aggy.... keep writing my friend!

I miss you guys. I am taking a slight break after finishing the madness that was The Vampire Baron. I begin edits on my first UF on Feb 1st. I really needed to recharge. And then... the edits begin.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Oh, Aggie, a computer dying. Now, there's a real horror story!

I'll back up my book the moment I get off this site!

Thanks for reminding us!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
*pats thumb drive in pocket and caresses google docs wtih other backup*

Sorry, Aggy.... keep writing my friend!

I miss you guys. I am taking a slight break after finishing the madness that was The Vampire Baron. I begin edits on my first UF on Feb 1st. I really needed to recharge. And then... the edits begin.

Aw bad luck Aggy, keep your head up though :)

You deserve the break after how you pounded that story out!

Good luck with the edits

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I haven't written any novel words in what feels like forever. But! Tomorrow is a public holiday, and i'm going to spend it writing. To keep me honest, let's set some goals for tomorrow.

Minimum 3k words. I'd like 5k, though.

I may have to turn the internet off :)

Catalyn

Nano'ing....
Registered
Reaction score
I took a bit of a "thinking break" on my novel, mostly because I read one of my Christmas present books and realised it had an almost identical setting and plot to my WIP! I sulked for a bit, but have now tweaked my outline a little and just decided to write it - it'll almost certainly go in a different direction to my original idea anyway. At least I know it was a saleable idea. ;)

The first draft is coming along quite nicely now, which makes a change.

Good to hear everyone else is still working away :)

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
I realized I don't even remember what my original goals were for this challenge. >.< I do believe I'll have to change them, though, whatever they were. At this point, I'm just setting December 31, 2012, 11:59:59 as the deadline for finishing a novel. Any novel. But I want it to be this novel. The one I'm working on right now. It's very very fun, and as long as I can keep from thinking too much about the next related-but-not-sequel book... >.<

My 100-words-a-day thing is going great! Aside from the first day, and Wednesday when I forgot not to go to sleep before writing my 100 words, I've gotten at least 200 words a day this past week. I'm very excited about this. :D

Aaand... off to do random things until bed. Which random things will include writing, probably. Unless I decide to be lazy and count my words from this morning after midnight as my 100 words for the day... but I don't really want to do that. Saa...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Go Catalyn, and Lillie! :e2cheer:

I've written some words today too :hooray: About to start chapter 5.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy: Izz!

I'm behind on words right now. But I think I can catch up this week.

I'm doing the outline a little, write a little, outline a little further, write a little more etc., and I'm at the "outline more" point. So, that's what I'm gonna work on tonight and tomorrow.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I clocked about 2500 words for each MS today. I also plotted out more scenes for my graphic novel.

Dragged out my angel MS that was covered in dust and am currently editing it because I like it that much!