Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherrie Cronin

imagining doing the impossible
Registered
Reaction score
Website
46ascending.org
You nailed it on that one. I found out real quick that self published authors have a hard time getting reviews from both readers who only review trad published books and reputable review companies. I just took what I could get at the time being naive about this stuff anyway. Plus these reviewers were cheaper than Kirkus and others that I checked out on the net. The most expensive one was around $150 I believe.

I have been told by others that my book is hard to categorize, which is fine by me since that was the intention all along. But to simplify what my book is about, it is simply a parody/satire of fiction fantasy from TV and the movies over the years. My Amazon Link goes more in depth about it.

Hi Star Chaser -- I seem to be at about the same point as you -- first indie book which is hard to categorize, and I am trying so hard to get reviews. I have gotten advice from some of the same fine folks here who are helping you now and I wanted to pass along two more things that might help you.
1. I paid $67 to a company called Book Rooster which promised 8 - 10 objective reviews on Amazon.com. I was dismayed to learn -- here and after the fact -- that payment for reviews is considered dishonest. Then I was then glad to learn that Book Rooster keeps the money for "administrative costs" and pays the reviewers nothing. (Although they do had out some freebies.) Okay so at least it isn't cheating. However, it is one route I still cannot recommend to you as this was over two months ago and so far only 1 review (not 8 - 10) has been posted.
2. Folks here generously list review sites but many are fairly niche and it seems to me that you are in very good shape if you write paranormal romances for young adults. (I also do not). Many sites will not accept electronic books (mine only comes in that form) or self- published ones. So, I tried googling "indie books" "reviews" and "science fiction" (science fiction begin the closest thing to a "genre" that my book has) and ended up with 18 sites that do accept accept indie books for review. I am now happily querying away. Perhaps a similar search under "satire" would help?

Anyway -- very best of luck to you.

Reaction score
Hi Star Chaser -- I seem to be at about the same point as you -- first indie book which is hard to categorize, and I am trying so hard to get reviews. I have gotten advice from some of the same fine folks here who are helping you now and I wanted to pass along two more things that might help you.
1. I paid $67 to a company called Book Rooster which promised 8 - 10 objective reviews on Amazon.com. I was dismayed to learn -- here and after the fact -- that payment for reviews is considered dishonest. Then I was then glad to learn that Book Rooster keeps the money for "administrative costs" and pays the reviewers nothing. (Although they do had out some freebies.) Okay so at least it isn't cheating. However, it is one route I still cannot recommend to you as this was over two months ago and so far only 1 review (not 8 - 10) has been posted.
2. Folks here generously list review sites but many are fairly niche and it seems to me that you are in very good shape if you write paranormal romances for young adults. (I also do not). Many sites will not accept electronic books (mine only comes in that form) or self- published ones. So, I tried googling "indie books" "reviews" and "science fiction" (science fiction begin the closest thing to a "genre" that my book has) and ended up with 18 sites that do accept accept indie books for review. I am now happily querying away. Perhaps a similar search under "satire" would help?

Anyway -- very best of luck to you.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I have come to terms here recently that I probably got jipped as some have pointed out. Still since most readers and review companies can't be bothered by self published authors like me, paying for a review is the only viable option I have.

I have already given my book away for free reviews before, and none of the people that said they would review my book for free have done it. Oh well at least they got a free read for their kindle or have an heirloom paperback in their house thanks to me.

Yet I still think the reviews I got were FAIR since they both point out that I am a flawed writer that needs improvement. While the positive aspects of the reviews reiterate what I want to convey to the reader anyway.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I have already given my book away for free reviews before, and none of the people that said they would review my book for free have done it. Oh well at least they got a free read for their kindle or have an heirloom paperback in their house thanks to me.

How long has it been? I have a very good friend who runs a review site. She says their pipeline is about six-months long. But that works because most major publishers send their books to her 6-8 months before the release. Self publishers should be doing the same thing in my opinion, or not caring if it takes 6 months to get the review.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Also, did they say they would review it, or agree you could send it? Not quite the same thing. Generally if a review does not appear, this is too the authors benefit because it indicates the review did not like the book (and so the review would not have been very nice).

If cost of review copies is a limiting factor plenty of reviewers (self included) accept digital review copies. Otherwise, getting reviews is either about working connections or sending out a lot of copies (or a bit of both).

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Blog tours are also usually reasonably priced and many of the stops include a review of your novel.

Just wanted to point out that you can arrange blog tours yourself. You don't have to pay for them. Just contact any blogger friends you have, or the places you would like to be a part of a tour, and ask politely if they would like to participate.

Reaction score
How long has it been? I have a very good friend who runs a review site. She says their pipeline is about six-months long.

Thats cool. I am just under the assumption that the reviewers I sent my manuscript to are still reviewing other submissions before mine. I could wait at least a year if that is the case.

Also, did they say they would review it, or agree you could send it? Not quite the same thing. Generally if a review does not appear, this is too the authors benefit because it indicates the review did not like the book (and so the review would not have been very nice).

That is perfectly understandable. If a reviewer/reader is into paranormal romances or serious fantasy fiction like Game of Thrones, then I am sure they would be naturally disgusted and repulsed by what I have written. Plus I have been told by more than enough people on the internet that the sex & violence along with the touchy political, social, and racial themes within the plot of my story could be interpreted in bad taste. You can't please everybody I guess.

Sherrie Cronin

imagining doing the impossible
Registered
Reaction score
Website
46ascending.org
putting in a good word for persistence

Otherwise, getting reviews is either about working connections or sending out a lot of copies (or a bit of both).

On behalf of those of us just getting started at making connections (and not particularly good at it) let me put in a word for just sending out query after query after query ..... sometimes diligence CAN make up for not knowing people.

After sending out 37 requests to bloggers willing to review my kind of book, I got a few yes's, a few maybes, a few no's, a lot of no answers -- and yesterday I got my first real live actual review posted by someone who does not know me and in no way has been paid. Wahoo! It was very exciting. A good (but not great) review with a couple of insightful points I wish I'd heard sooner and enough compliments to keep me going.

Anyway -- I am now ready to sent out 37 more queries and hope that you, Starchaser 3000, will not give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.