Come One, Come All, To DecNoEdMo!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Nice going. :)

Well, it took me an hour, but I cleaned up 2 trouble spots in my bedroom. Haven't thrown out a huge amount. Some, but not heaps. Also found 2 T-shirts and a baseball cap to donate to the second-hand store at some point. Things are looking a lot cleaner now...

The stuff that used to be on top of my chest of drawers has either been thrown or made to fit inside the drawers. The stuff that was already in the drawers has been sorted out, which was the only way to achieve that. :)

This leaves my built-in wardrobe, which I'm kind of dreading. It's basically my "I have large things and nowhere to put them" dumping spot. :tongue

Anyway, taking a coffee-break now. :)

ETA: Thankfully, under my bed is mostly fine. I haven't been dumping things under there since I moved. There's just a couple of old guitars, shoes and a storage box. So I don't really need to worry about that, at least!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Another 45 minutes, and I've done all I'm planning on doing today. I knew it wouldn't take as long as last time. :)

My built-in wardrobe is looking a lot neater now. I've only done 2 of the 4 sections, though... Well, there are 3 vertical section, plus a horizontal one on top. The stuff at the top isn't going anywhere, and the 3rd vertical part pretty much just has one task to do in it, which I don't feel like doing.

Basically, I have a bunch of Warhammer 40k miniatures in a cubby hole in that section. I need to sort through them, throwing out the irrevocably broken ones, organising some to sell, and reorganising the rest so they take up less space, at which point I'll put it all under my bed, freeing up some space in my still-kind-of-cluttered wardrobe.

I know that's what I need to do... But the minis are so expensive, I can't bring myself to chuck the ones that need to be chucked, and in this frame of mind, I won't pick any to sell. So yeah, not going to bother today. Maybe one day next week?

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
Things you learn while editing:

That your character has a broken hand and you forgot halfway through the novel. :e2smack: :eek:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just typed 1100 words on my Christmas Creeper short. I just need to add a final bit to it, I think, and then edit. The main conflict is over, so yeah, just need to wrap things up.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
K. Taylor wrote:
LOL. But you did catch it. :)

bdwilson wrote:
*LOL* Those discoveries are always fun :tongue

Go ahead, laugh at my mistakes. :D

I'm thinking of taking it out in the next round of edits. It would certainly make things easier on me if I did. :tongue

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Mind if I join in? I'm currently on the first full re-write of my NaNo after a bunch of major edits. I'm basically going through section by section and reworking, rewording, adding more characterization. I also have two beta readers looking over the story to get some general impressions and make sure the plot is cohesive. I'm really excited that, even after a month and a half, I'm still really EXCITED about the story :) but I'm starting to get a bit overwhelmed with how much work I've already put into it (and how much I still need to do!)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, WK!

I read chapter 15 of WIP#1 earlier today, but can't bring myself to edit. I feel tired and I have a headache, and I really need to be cleaning the house. Bah! It's a long chapter, too, which isn't helping...

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
More than welcome to join, WK. :)

Power went out here a little while ago for about an hour... Was very annoyed because my booklight was dead and I couldn't see >.> But I got a candle lit and my room smells all pretty. :D

I read something today. Not very much, but the day's not over for another three and a half hours, so I can always do more. :)

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Just updated my library spreadsheet for the first time since midsummer...

I have 616 books now. (And I'm pretty sure, based on the fact that I wanted to have at least 500 by January 1st of 2012, that I've gotten, and hopefully didn't buy all of, at least 100 books this year... Oops.)

The sad part is that I keep track of where in my room I keep them so I can find them faster, and I've had to resort to putting many of them in a location called the "where-the-fuck-do-I-put-you?" corner. :(

I'm afraid to see how many of those I still haven't read yet...

ETA: This time last year:

Wrote an English essay, added a mysterious purple squirrel to my statistics assignment, started a health presentation but decided to put all of my books in a spreadsheet instead... Apparently I own 474 books, and I've read all but 137 of them... Not bad. Not a very productive weekend, though...
Oh dear...

ETA2: Okay, I couldn't help myself and I looked to see how many I still have to read... 239. Okay, that's not too bad... I was imagining a much bigger number... It's only a little more than a third of all of my books...

~Amber~

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Bloody hell, Vamp, that's a lot of books!

In other news, it took me nearly 2 hours, but I've done the edits on chapter 15. Still need to re-read it to make sure it's alright, but I now have 1 chapter and a synopsis to edit, and that's it for this pass. Woo!

Going to be adding a fight scene to the next chapter, though... Need something to spice up the ending. I've laid the foundations for it in this current chapter.

Also, I received a book in the mail today. Woo! So now I'm just waiting on one more I've ordered, which will hopefully be here before Christmas. Haven't done a huge amount of reading the last few days... Need to rectify that.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue Which reminds me, I still have a book coming in the mail. :D *dodges being slapped*

But I kinda need that dictionary for class, so... :e2shrug:

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I've put chapter 15 to rest now. It's still a long chapter, even though I lost 500 words from it by removing a scene. I think once I finish this pass, I'm going to have to spend a day changing chapter stopping points. I mean, half an hour just to read 1 chapter is a bit much.

And hey, if I shorten the chapters (but make more of them) then it won't seem so daunting to edit a chapter at a time. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
In other news, I have vacuumed and swept virtually the whole house. Only the bedrooms left to do, but that can wait for another day.

I think it's time to read. :) I haven't read at all today, which is a shame.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Welcome to the party, WK! Best of luck with your revisions. :)

Vamp, your to-read pile puts my two to-read piles to shame. Suddenly 50 books doesn't seem so intimidating!

Got caught in a loop of procrasination over the weekend, but managed to get back to editing on Sunday night. :) With the help of a lunchtime round of editing I should hit the 200 page mark!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, something I'd love to do, if I had a lot of free time (ie. if I was rich or retired and didn't really need to do anything) is to just sit and read loads and loads of books for a few months.

I used to read a lot when I was younger, but over the years I've just not had the time anymore. So yeah, 100+ books TBR would be good if I had more time. :)

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Edited up to Chapter four of my Novel:poke: It's not a lot but there's always tomorrow right? And I still have cold, I've had it twice now in the past few weeks:rant: This means that I should be exempt over Christmas right?

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, I discovered I changed my MC's physical appearance between Camp NaNo and NaNo :e2smack:

Lol! It does. :Hug2:

When I get done with this pass, I have a novella I need to get started editing. I'm sure I'll find more humorous mistakes in it. :D

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit, I missed one... >.> That puts me at 617 books. :tongue

I've read this one, at least, so my TBR pile stays the same size. :D

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I didn't feel like doing any editing today, so I've just read 140 pages, finishing book 5 for the break. I've got a headache, but I think I'll dive into book 6 shortly.

ETA: Got 50 pages into the next book before the headache crippled me. Been lying in the dark since then. Ack.

I think I might edit my Christmas Creeper short tonight... That one has a fast-approaching deadline. And it'd make a nice change from editing the novel. It's day 18 here, and I've done extensive edits on 77 pages! Whoa! And that's 11pt font, single-spaced, too.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited the Christmas Creeper short, adding about 300 words. It's not perfect yet, but it's alright for a first attempt at horror. :)

Have read 230 pages of books today, and I think I'll do a little more reading before I try to catch some sleep. Starting to get caught up on reading after a slack few days.