Love and Hate Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicing_angel2003

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a new story and my two main characters are from opposing families. Think the Montague and Capulet families from Romeo and Juliet. The difference is that the two main characters do have an honest dislike for each other. Something happens and they end up having to work together. Repressed feelings of attraction come to light and over the course of the story they come to terms with those feelings.

I don't want them to come to terms with those feelings slowly. I want it to happen in one of those moments in the story that makes one of them fully realize and accept it. Can this be done in a believable fashion? If anyone knows any books or movies that portray this type of thing well I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Much Ado About Nothing?

slicing_angel2003

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kallithrix. That is a great example of the type of relationship they have. Where Benedick and Beatrice were kind of tricked into realizing their feelings I'd like it to be more sudden and with a little less outside influence. Maybe something the villain demands the MMC to do.

I do love the banter between the couple in Much Ado About Nothing. I might pop that in just to help inspire some of the arguments my two characters have.

Sringara

Registered
Reaction score
George R.R. Martin did a nice job with John Snow and Ygritte, where they shared this searing physical attraction, but were sworn enemies for a long time (in the book, anyway).

Is your story funny, or tragic?

On a funnier note, there's that old show Northern Exposure. The two leads nurture an agonizing loathing for one another for several seasons until they finally admit their real feelings, but it's supposed to be hilarious, not passionate, and they're kind of neurotic.

Elizabeth Bennet and Darcy, of course. Classic.

Good luck. It's a potent trick if you can pull it off.

7luckyclovers

Lost somewhere in my mind
Registered
Reaction score
There's a cute TV on the CW called Hart of Dixie. The MC and a bartender end up falling in love even though they hate one another.

slicing_angel2003

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. The story isn't a comedy, although it does have a few funny moments. It's more of an adventure detective story I think. The MFC is pretty much forced to ask for the help of the MMC to track down a missing family relic and they go on a mini adventure together.

Status
Not open for further replies.