Writing the 'blurb'…help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

five1eleven

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessiecostin.com
Hi, first off let me apologise if this is not the best place to post this. I'm new to AW and still learning to navigate!

Anyone got any tips on writing a blurb? I'm planning to self-publish a romance/new adult novel and coming up with short 'teaser' material is doing my head in. Condensing your own story into a couple of paragraphs is so much harder than I thought it would be. I just can't get enough distance from it to judge it more objectively.

I've included what I've written down below… anyone mind taking a look and giving some feedback? Obviously you don't know the story, so can't tell me if it accurately represents it, but just trying to get a gauge of whether it works as a blurb, makes the story sound like something you'd want to read etc.

Thanks so much!

(The novel is called 'Crossing Paths')

"She was engaged but she kissed him. He was her student but she couldn’t forget him. He wasn’t hers, but she loved him still.
For Ashley, choosing the path to take used to seem simple. Her fiance and her parents always made it clear. Student, Teacher, Wife. Her path was all mapped out. But what happens when you start to suspect the path you are on is not the one you want at all?
And when Ethan’s path keeps crossing hers, she is forced to confront some uncomfortable truths about herself. Is her life ruled by chance, or are the mistakes all down to her?
At the crossing of choice and chance, Ashley has to learn when it’s time to let go, and when it’s time to take the risk and choose her path.
Even if it means walking it alone."

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi -

There's a place in the Share Your Work section, called Query Letter Hell (password: vista), where people work on blurbs in addition to queries and synopses.

You need 50 posts under your belt to post your own work for critique in any of the SYW sections.

You're free to read all the threads and critique others' work as you look around, before you amass the required posts, though.

five1eleven

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessiecostin.com
Thanks, I'll check it out. :)

Hi -

There's a place in the Share Your Work section, called Query Letter Hell (password: vista), where people work on blurbs in addition to queries and synopses.

You need 50 posts under your belt to post your own work for critique in any of the SYW sections.

You're free to read all the threads and critique others' work as you look around, before you amass the required posts, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.