Offer coming down the pike.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Currently I have a novel that was pubbed through a small press that closed. (Entranced, the story is long and sorted and has it's own thread in the beware area)

It was only out for a short time, but it got really great reviews. (4.7 stars on Amazon.) I've subbed it to a few places.

1 just responded that they liked it and would be in contact next week. It's also gotten 2 other requests for fulls, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I have no agent.

Should I

A) Sub to an agent and let them know there's an offer on the table?

and B) Contact the other houses and let them know there's an offer?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wait and see what offers, if any, are actually made. You've nothing to lose in being patient. But your credibility could suffer if you assure an agent the offer is imminent, and it fails to pan out.

Besides, why work yourself into anxious anticipation? Chill out, relax... If this is so fated, it'll happen in its own time.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you I'd stop sending it out to publishers and start looking for an agent instead. If you get an agent they'll be able to get your book in front of editors at publishers you can't reach on your own, which has to be good.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You don't know that this is an offer, but you do know that you would like an agent and that if it is an offer, you'd like to have an agent, so I say query more agents. Don't mention the potential offer. If you do get an offer, you can mention it later.

However, I wonder if agents will be willing to take on a previously published novel that doesn't have an offer on the table. I've never seen any posts on the subject before.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
You don't know that this is an offer, but you do know that you would like an agent and that if it is an offer, you'd like to have an agent, so I say query more agents. Don't mention the potential offer. If you do get an offer, you can mention it later.

However, I wonder if agents will be willing to take on a previously published novel that doesn't have an offer on the table. I've never seen any posts on the subject before.

It's not a previously published novel.

It's a previously published novel that because of the shenanigans of my last publisher, I have no sales data for.

I've emailed a few agents and I have mentioned the semi offer, but I've been very clear that it was an offer to discuss the possibility of publication. I think I'll go email a few more now.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Here's the update to my situation.

I did contact the other 2 publishers.

Both contacted me and asked if I'd wait. Both had started the MS and liked it.

On Monday, I had a conference call with 1 publisher. I really liked everything they had to say. They sent me not only a sample contract, but also a budget for how they'll market my MS. She really liked the book and wants to offer a contract for the entire series. I felt like we connected and she got the book. Of course, maybe I just like being flattered.

However, they're a small publisher who is new. They're first book hasn't come out, but the publisher has a book that she self pubbed and marketed on her own and it did very well. It made some best sellers lists and got as high as #12 on kindle in it's category.

House II is the one who said they liked it and will contact me this week. They've been around about 3 years. They have mostly done anthologies and are just getting into novels. They have an "Unconventional" marketing approach, but from what I can see, they've been successful with it. A novel that they just released debuted at # 88 in kindle store for dystopian.

Press # 3 has been around the longest. They have a very good rep. They haven't made an offer yet as they're not done, but they emailed me to say that they're almost done and love it so far.

But I can't get much info on sales for their books on novel rank.

Not sure what to do?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
On Monday, I had a conference call with 1 publisher. I really liked everything they had to say. They sent me not only a sample contract, but also a budget for how they'll market my MS.

Do you mean she gave you a marketing plan, or a marketing budget? They're different things. What sorts of things have been suggested? How successful have they been with their previous titles?

She really liked the book and wants to offer a contract for the entire series. I felt like we connected and she got the book. Of course, maybe I just like being flattered.
That's all very nice for you but you must consider how effectively they've sold previous series, and what they're offering you for this series. Is there a solid contract, a decent advance, and strong marketing support? If not, be extremely careful.

However, they're a small publisher who is new. They're first book hasn't come out, but the publisher has a book that she self pubbed and marketed on her own and it did very well. It made some best sellers lists and got as high as #12 on kindle in it's category.
A new small publisher? Far too risky. Does the publisher employ anyone with five years or more experience in trade publishing? No? Then how do they know what they're doing? And why would you let them use your book--or even your series--as a learning tool?

Getting to number 12 on Kindle in a single category isn't necessarily impressive: if the category's tiny then it's easily done; and there's a difference between hitting #12 for an hour or two and sitting there for a few weeks.

I wouldn't touch them. No matter how nice they've been about your book.

House II is the one who said they liked it and will contact me this week. They've been around about 3 years. They have mostly done anthologies and are just getting into novels. They have an "Unconventional" marketing approach, but from what I can see, they've been successful with it. A novel that they just released debuted at # 88 in kindle store for dystopian.
Again, be careful. Why let them use your novel or series to work out how best to publish?

And as for "unconventional" marketing: there's a good reason most successful publishers use a conventional approach: it works. "Unconventional" often means "can't afford to do things the usual way".

Press # 3 has been around the longest. They have a very good rep. They haven't made an offer yet as they're not done, but they emailed me to say that they're almost done and love it so far.

But I can't get much info on sales for their books on novel rank.

Not sure what to do?
If you just want to be published, then accept any of these offers and rejoice.

If you want to be published well, and see your books sell in good number and reach plenty of your potential readers then think carefully and honestly about whether any of these publishers can do this for you.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I appreciate what you're saying.

For house # 1, what they sent was the budget. She went over some of the plan. Targeting local bookstores in my area, as well as some print adds when that happens. Social media buzz, blog tour, interviews. The two owners have been in the business 5-10 years. The one book I mentioned has maintained decent sales from what I can gather.

House II has some ny times best selling authors behind the scenes. I'm not sure what they do beyond their unconventional marketing. They may do conventional as well. I have yet to speak to them.

House III is recommended by P&E and won best publisher polls by them too. My issue there is sales. I'm just not seeing it with all of their titles. Some have done well. But as a house they've been around just under 10 years.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I understand what you're saying, but I feel that there are 3 opportunities in front of me and I have no way of knowing that another one will happen.

How do you check on the sales of titles beyond Novel Rank?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate what you're saying.

For house # 1, what they sent was the budget. She went over some of the plan. Targeting local bookstores in my area, as well as some print adds when that happens. Social media buzz, blog tour, interviews. The two owners have been in the business 5-10 years. The one book I mentioned has maintained decent sales from what I can gather.

A budget is just an amount of money written down, perhaps split into parts. It's the plan you want.

Targeting local bookshops isn't going to be nearly as effective as targeting bookshops nationwide. Print ads aren't terribly useful at selling books either, unless you're using them in trade publications in order to get bookshops to order it in--and that's only going to work if they have full distribution. Have you checked who distributes their books? It's worth doing.

Which publishers have they worked at before now? How did sales go there?

House II has some ny times best selling authors behind the scenes. I'm not sure what they do beyond their unconventional marketing. They may do conventional as well. I have yet to speak to them.

What do you mean by conventional and unconventional marketing?

House III is recommended by P&E and won best publisher polls by them too. My issue there is sales. I'm just not seeing it with all of their titles. Some have done well. But as a house they've been around just under 10 years.

I've seen lacklustre publishers do well in P&E polls because they got their authors to vote them in. It's not necessarily a good thing.

Their having been around for ten years is good: they've had time to make their mark. I'd expect a few best-sellers in that time, and for them to have a solid reputation and some stand-out books.

I understand what you're saying, but I feel that there are 3 opportunities in front of me and I have no way of knowing that another one will happen.

You can always get an opportunity to publish: send your work to PublishAmerica.

"Opportunity" is not good enough on its own. What you need is the opportunity to be published well. If you aren't convinced that these publishers are going to be able to publish a book you'll be proud of, and sell it in decent quantity, then you'd be better off self publishing.

How do you check on the sales of titles beyond Novel Rank?

You could contact some of their authors and ask what their sales have been like.

You could ask the publisher how many copies of your book they think they'll sell.

You could Google their name and see what appears.

There are all sorts of ways you could find out.