Status
Not open for further replies.

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
Wish I could take a bow for the murder list, but, as you may have guessed, I pulled it off the internet somewhere.

That said, I've noticed many of the motives listed can bleed into another. For instance, I've done: mental illness, murder-for-hire, money, obsession/jealousy, and elimination. And that was just in three books!

In my current WIP: I've got one MC out for revenge against a (thrill-seeking/nut-case) serial killer, and just to throw him off track, I plan to add another murder plot that has absolutely nothing to do with the first.

I'm still in outline mode, though, so a motive for the second plot is yet undecided.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to like high-stakes thievery. That's been the going theme in my novels.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Mine seem to follow sociopaths, for some reason. Sociopaths keep ending up in there somewhere. Not sure why.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Oh, by the way, are we including all types of Romantic Suspense, like SF/F Romantic Suspense (like J.D. Robb) or Humorous Romantic Suspense (Julie James) too? And by include, I mean those types of things are included in the sub-genre/grouping or what have you. They're considered "in genre".

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
Okay, question: Has anyone had the occasion to use one word to describe the sound of one car hitting the back bumper of another, and if so, what word did you use to describe that sound?

I've checked all the sound description sites I can find, and amazingly enough, that one is not in there!

Below is a small section of the scene and how it currently reads. Needless to say, I'm not completely happy with it.

Alaina approached the next curve with care, still conscience of the hazardous conditions. A mail box whizzed by on the right, then several seconds later, another. The signs of civilization had her relaxing a little more and breathing a little easier. Determined to let it go, Alaina put her attention back where it belonged, squinting into the blinding mist and struggling to see the road ahead.

Crack!

Something just careened into her back bumper. Her tires slid across the pavement sending her into the opposite lane. Alaina fought for control but it was no use–the tires wouldn’t grip.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Do you need the sound to get your point across? I always find sounds a bit intrusive...

Maybe:

The force of whatever had hit her sent her tires skidding across the pavement. Aliana fought a scream when she saw the oncoming traffic now aimed right at her. She struggled to control the car, but it was no use--the tires just wouldn't grip the wet pavement.

---
I would also say we include all rom-susp. sub-genres. Because in my experience authors tend to dip into different sub-genres depending on the book they're writing. I know I do.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
Okay, question: Has anyone had the occasion to use one word to describe the sound of one car hitting the back bumper of another, and if so, what word did you use to describe that sound?

I've checked all the sound description sites I can find, and amazingly enough, that one is not in there!

Below is a small section of the scene and how it currently reads. Needless to say, I'm not completely happy with it.

Alaina approached the next curve with care, still conscience of the hazardous conditions. A mail box whizzed by on the right, then several seconds later, another. The signs of civilization had her relaxing a little more and breathing a little easier. Determined to let it go, Alaina put her attention back where it belonged, squinting into the blinding mist and struggling to see the road ahead.

Crack!

Something just careened into her back bumper. Her tires slid across the pavement sending her into the opposite lane. Alaina fought for control but it was no use–the tires wouldn’t grip.

I agree with Calle Jay--I fear sound would disturb the flow. I would personally do something like - "A burst of sound echoed in her ears as her body lurched forward. The seat belt dug into her chest. Her tires screeched as the car slid across the pavement ... etc."

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Ugh. I'm at that point in this book where I know what the general story is, but am struggling to put it into words at all. I think I need to go back and do some detailed plotting. This is driving me nuts!

Or maybe I just need to take a few days off and let this gel...

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
Ugh. I'm at that point in this book where I know what the general story is, but am struggling to put it into words at all. I think I need to go back and do some detailed plotting. This is driving me nuts!

Or maybe I just need to take a few days off and let this gel...

I'm there too...I've got all the plot points down for my rewrite, but just can't seem to put words on a page. I'm taking this weekend off and I'll see if my brain recharges.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I think I'm going to pull out the "plotter'' part of my "plot-antser" personality and see where I've went wrong and where I need to backtrack. And play lots and lots of chess, since the game is a big part of the book.

I suck at chess. What did I get myself into????

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
I understand where you're coming from Callie.

I recently started a new MS knowing that I had the plot only about half-way worked out in my head. Four chapters in, I had to halt all progress. Now, after five weeks, I've got a solid plan and I'm back to work!

If I hadn't been working on other projects during those five weeks, I would have gone mad, but there was no way I could continue writing without taking that step back. I just couldn't wrap my head around where I was going, and that was making me crazy.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
I have just been told by a beta reader my story is Romantic Suspense. I have also recently joined a group on Yahoo called crimescenewriters. They have some interesting Q & A topics and it's hosted by Lee Lofland, a retired homicide detective.

Anybody have any other groups that may be of interest?

And does anybody else like Law & Order so much they want to write their own "cop story" stuff with Romantic Elements thrown in? Or am I alone in that?

I'd love to be a part of this group. Add me in, please. :D

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com

And does anybody else like Law & Order so much they want to write their own "cop story" stuff with Romantic Elements thrown in? Or am I alone in that?

Sadly, no other groups that I'm aware of or belong to that pertain particularly to suspense.

As for Law and Order, it is a good show, but the Mentalist and Castle are more my style. Love that Castle!

And yes, I want to write my own so much that is exactly what I'm doing. I'm working on a series right now.

Welcome to the group, Kath.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, no other groups that I'm aware of or belong to that pertain particularly to suspense.

As for Law and Order, it is a good show, but the Mentalist and Castle are more my style. Love that Castle!

And yes, I want to write my own so much that is exactly what I'm doing. I'm working on a series right now.

Welcome to the group, Kath.

Ooh, I like Castle too! I also like Perception, Rizzoli and Isles, and Law & Order: SVU.

I also like Scandal. But that's more political thriller/suspense I think.

Oh, and welcome to the group Kath!! :D

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
I have just been told by a beta reader my story is Romantic Suspense. I have also recently joined a group on Yahoo called crimescenewriters. They have some interesting Q & A topics and it's hosted by Lee Lofland, a retired homicide detective.

I'd love to be a part of this group. Add me in, please. :D

I'm a Law & Order SVU addict too (though my favorite procedural crime drama is Castle). Welcome to the group!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, by the way, are we including all types of Romantic Suspense, like SF/F Romantic Suspense (like J.D. Robb) or Humorous Romantic Suspense (Julie James) too? And by include, I mean those types of things are included in the sub-genre/grouping or what have you. They're considered "in genre".
Hmmmm by that definition my novel Wicked Wonderland could be considered Erotic Paranormal Romantic Suspense with it's stalker and kidnapping elements, but it's so full of magic and stuff does that make it not romantic suspense? It isn't classified as romantic suspense anywhere that it's promoted because it's paranormal.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm by that definition my novel Wicked Wonderland could be considered Erotic Paranormal Romantic Suspense with it's stalker and kidnapping elements, but it's so full of magic and stuff does that make it not romantic suspense? It isn't classified as romantic suspense anywhere that it's promoted because it's paranormal.

That was the thing that was worrying me. Genres can be....slightly confusing. To say the least anyway. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.