Sexless Historical Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is a regency era (regency accurate) historical romance. I would say it is more in the vein of Jane Austen than Amanda Quick.

There is a lot of sexual tension between the hero and heroine, but there has been nothing more than a kiss and they do not actually realize their true feelings for each other and agree to marry until the end.

Because of the style in which I have written it, it seems like it would not be true to the story to have a sex scene at the end - sort of like if at the end of Pride and Prejudice there was an Elizabeth and Darcy sex scene - and yet I worry that readers might thing it was building to this the entire time.

Does anyone have any feedback on something like this?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is a regency era (regency accurate) historical romance. I would say it is more in the vein of Jane Austen than Amanda Quick.

There is a lot of sexual tension between the hero and heroine, but there has been nothing more than a kiss and they do not actually realize their true feelings for each other and agree to marry until the end.

Because of the style in which I have written it, it seems like it would not be true to the story to have a sex scene at the end - sort of like if at the end of Pride and Prejudice there was an Elizabeth and Darcy sex scene - and yet I worry that readers might thing it was building to this the entire time.

Does anyone have any feedback on something like this?

That's okie. People didn't have sex back then.

I don't know from your genre specifically, but I'd suggest your best bet would be to look at the market in which you hope to compete. Are you looking at trade publishing? Is there a current market for books of that type with that type of ending/arc? Are there particular authors, publishers, agents, who deal in that type of thing currently?

Because it's romance I'd think, though someone with more knowledge may come along and prove me totally wrong, that you'd need a proven current market for it for it to likely be a saleable product. By which I just mean I don't think you can pull the same sort of 'this is a totally fresh, new type of thing' as easily as you could in some other areas.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
That's okie. People didn't have sex back then.

This made me lol.

I think there is a market for it, but as a reader when I read a story where there is, between the hero and heroine, a lot of chemistry, longing, and tension, I usually expect the culmination to be more than a kiss. But I find that with this particular story being told in such a period accurate way, it may not work out to do that.

I am still working on the ending. In the first draft it did end with a kiss, but my beta readers said that they wanted MORE! So, trying to give more, but still be true to the style of the story.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This made me lol.

I think there is a market for it, but as a reader when I read a story where there is, between the hero and heroine, a lot of chemistry, longing, and tension, I usually expect the culmination to be more than a kiss. But I find that with this particular story being told in such a period accurate way, it may not work out to do that.

I am still working on the ending. In the first draft it did end with a kiss, but my beta readers said that they wanted MORE! So, trying to give more, but still be true to the style of the story.

There may well be a market for it - I'm saying I'd suggest you do research into whether there's there an established, current market for it.

That's what I meant by the end bit; in, say, litfic, it's easy to say that you feel there'll be a market for your story about a tragic, lovelorn, abused, soul-searching elephant, roaming the American south alone, just after the Civil War, after being separated from her circus, and pondering the vagaries of life in a deeply philosophical, elephantine manner.

In romance, I think you actually need to be able to point and say 'this exists; I'm not breaking new ground within a genre,' unless you want to hoe a harder row than you'd normally be faced with.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
I believe there are authors out there publishing "clean" regency romances, some of them through Christian publishing houses. Julie Klassen is a name that comes to mind, although I haven't actually read any of her books, so I don't know how much sex they do or don't have. In any case, you wouldn't necessarily be treading new ground.

Since I'm not published myself, my advice may be worthless, but I'd say write the story the way you believe it should be written and submit. If an agent or publisher tells you it needs more sex, then you can decide what you want to do about it.

Also, there's always the option of tacking on a wedding night epilogue. You can draw the curtain at whatever point you think is appropriate.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
If you are a member of RWA, you might check out the Beau Monde online chapter. A number of the authors there write kisses-only Regencies, and they could give you advice about publishers and markets.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses. My concern wasn't about markets or sales. Right now I am just focusing on writing an ending that is authentic to the characters. That was my purpose of posting, to see what other romance authors thought of sex/no sex in a regency romance. Thanks for the wedding night epilogue idea Beckethm!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Regency is traditionally not erotic. But it is a sub-genre that took a down turn 5-10 years ago. That may be way the ones more recently released tend to be somewhat erotic.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

I'd like to say this would be fine by me, because I did enjoy P&P, but I think that was partly because the sexual tension in P&P was... restrained. Genteel and elegant. Yes, there was certainly chemistry between Elizabeth and Darcy, but that didn't strike me as a physical kind of chemistry, if you see what I mean.

So if your heroine catches her breath and shivers in the hero's presence, while his pulse beats faster and his voice roughens... then I'm going to expect a physical payoff, and I'd like to get it at some point during the novel (waiting till the end doesn't work for me, because the tension's usually gone at that point if the characters have made a commitment to each other).

But if their reactions are more mental and emotional than visceral, that's different.

Because of the style in which I have written it, it seems like it would not be true to the story to have a sex scene at the end - sort of like if at the end of Pride and Prejudice there was an Elizabeth and Darcy sex scene
Better yet, an Elizabeth and Darcy sex scene with BDSM: Spank Me, Mr. Darcy.

:D

Last edited:

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
There's been a series of Austen-style hardcover mysteries published lately, and I can't remember the name of author or book, but they were quite good; they're new on the market, and they're very restrained. I don't think the characters did even kiss in the first book--maybe not in the second one. If it helps to know: they're not written for any of the Christian imprints. They're just old-style Regency in the tone Jane Austen might have used.

I still enjoy that kind of thing, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. So if that's what you want from your story, go for it! You'll find at least one reader here. :)

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com

This isn't my writing genre, having said that, I've just picked up my copy of pride & prejudice. I didn't see any sex scene at all in it, so if you meant a lack of sex, and not the presence of it, you should be ok. I don't thiink people always expect sex in this type of romance.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to say this would be fine by me, because I did enjoy P&P, but I think that was partly because the sexual tension in P&P was... restrained. Genteel and elegant. Yes, there was certainly chemistry between Elizabeth and Darcy, but that didn't strike me as a physical kind of chemistry, if you see what I mean.

So if your heroine catches her breath and shivers in the hero's presence, while his pulse beats faster and his voice roughens... then I'm going to expect a physical payoff, and I'd like to get it at some point during the novel (waiting till the end doesn't work for me, because the tension's usually gone at that point if the characters have made a commitment to each other).

But if their reactions are more mental and emotional than visceral, that's different.

Better yet, an Elizabeth and Darcy sex scene with BDSM: Spank Me, Mr. Darcy.

:D

Super good points. It gives me a lot to think about.

I still enjoy that kind of thing, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. So if that's what you want from your story, go for it! You'll find at least one reader here. :)

Thanks! I am going to try and keep it organic to the story. And right now, that is no sex.

This isn't my writing genre, having said that, I've just picked up my copy of pride & prejudice. I didn't see any sex scene at all in it, so if you meant a lack of sex, and not the presence of it, you should be ok. I don't thiink people always expect sex in this type of romance.

Yeah - there is no sex scene in pride and prejudice (unless you count the indiscretion with Lydia and Wickham!). My point was that in a certain period accurate type of style, it would seem odd to have a sex scene, sort of like how it would be if at the end of P&P Elizabeth and Darcy had sex.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah - there is no sex scene in pride and prejudice (unless you count the indiscretion with Lydia and Wickham!). My point was that in a certain period accurate type of style, it would seem odd to have a sex scene, sort of like how it would be if at the end of P&P Elizabeth and Darcy had sex.

Agreed! Sex isn't always nessecary to the plot either, especially in period accurate stuff where it would look out of place.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Thanks all for your responses. My concern wasn't about markets or sales. Right now I am just focusing on writing an ending that is authentic to the characters. That was my purpose of posting, to see what other romance authors thought of sex/no sex in a regency romance. Thanks for the wedding night epilogue idea Beckethm!

First and foremost, focus on the story you want to write. If you don't think sex fits the story, then don't include it. :)

As others have said, traditional Regency historical tended to be "sweet" (kisses and maybe "closed door" suggestions of sex, but not necessarily), and there are categories of romance, historical and contemporary that don't depict sex. Romance is about the couple's relationship, whether sex is depicted or not. The only basic "rules" of the romance genre are that they focus on a romantic relationship and have a happily ever after (HEA) or at least happy for now (HFN) ending. Beyond that, write the story as you see it.

Have fun!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer romances that don't have sex. I also love the Regecy and Georgette Heyer, so your story sounds wonderful to me!

That said, Queen of Swords had a very good point. A reader promised more spice isn't going to be happy if that promise ends in a kiss and a closed door.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Agreed! Sex isn't always nessecary to the plot either, especially in period accurate stuff where it would look out of place.

I suspect more people on the ton were having sex than were meant to, so I can see regency being written with or without sex depending on the story. Especailly if you actually mean the period--not the mythologized marraige market which probably involved fewer real people than there are now fictional characters placed in that setting.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I am doing a reread of my novel from the beginning and I very much fear that the longing/tension between the hero and heroine might lead the reader to expect something more as a culmination - just as Queen of Swords suggested above. Just trying to work out how to provide a payoff that delivers but is still true to the story.

RhodaD'Ettore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
goinpostalnj.blogspot.com
Here's my suggestion, and I have one published book, and a six ebooks, so take that for what it is worth:

Write the ending that YOU like. That YOU want, then market it to the correct audience. For example, historical fiction does not necessarily mean historical romance. So if it seems to you that the "romance" is not enough for the historical romance readers, then promote it as a "historical fiction". I wrote a historical fiction, I am not a romance lover, but a history lover. promoting it this way will actually open you up to a greater audience. I think at least.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Rhoda!

It's definitely romance. In the first draft the ending was sexless. But in the most current draft I feel it could go either way (but still leaning toward no sex or a fade to black type scene). I'm doing a reread and I'll see how I feel at the end.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think pre-marital sex in the Regency period is 'unhistorical' per se, as I'm pretty sure people have been giving in to sexual urges against their better judgement since the dawn of time. But I think it might make it a different book, depending on the circumstances of that indiscretion.

For one thing, the circumstances in which it happens need to be realistic. Is it plausible that they could either find themselves in or deliberately create such circumstances?

It needs to be true to the characters - are they the type to give in to their physical longing, against all common sense and social convention, knowing what is at stake? For the woman this is especially crucial, as she would have more to risk - pregnancy, loss of virtue and reputation, reduced marriage prospects.

For the male character, is he the type to compromise the virtue of the woman he loves? Would he feel guilty for taking advantage? Would she seem less of a prize afterwards?

I advise you to think about all the possible ramifications of adding a sex scene to your novel, and not just give in to the current fashion for steamy romance at the expense of your characters or plot.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I suspect more people on the ton were having sex than were meant to, so I can see regency being written with or without sex depending on the story. Especailly if you actually mean the period--not the mythologized marraige market which probably involved fewer real people than there are now fictional characters placed in that setting.

Without a doubt, people were having way more sex then we like to acknoledge them as having had in the time periode. Humans are sexual creatures. It's just that the writing of the time doesn't read quite as overtly sexual as modern writing does to most even when at it's mildest(only talking about prudes here). We know the character/people were doing it, they just don't say so. It mostly appears to be implied.

Sapphire, if it furthers the book in some way then put the sex scene in. If it doesn't help then don't. You'll figure it out I'm sure.

Last edited:

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
I advise you to think about all the possible ramifications of adding a sex scene to your novel, and not just give in to the current fashion for steamy romance at the expense of your characters or plot.

I appreciate your time in responding, but I'm not sure how you got this from my original question.

The reason I am considering some manner of sex scene is because there is tension between my hero and heroine and I don't want my readers to feel that something has been implicitly promised and then not delivered. So, totally true to my characters and plot - that is the whole reason I am on the fence about putting one in. But if I end up adding something of that nature, it would be nowhere near steamy. Not that there's anything wrong with steamy, just not the book I'm writing.

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate your time in responding, but I'm not sure how you got this from my original question.

The reason I am considering some manner of sex scene is because there is tension between my hero and heroine and I don't want my readers to feel that something has been implicitly promised and then not delivered. So, totally true to my characters and plot - that is the whole reason I am on the fence about putting one in. But if I end up adding something of that nature, it would be nowhere near steamy. Not that there's anything wrong with steamy, just not the book I'm writing.

Ok, so your characters WANT to have sex. But I still stand by what I said. Sexual tension in a novel does not have to result in a sex scene, because there are more considerations than just whether or not your characters are physically attracted to each other (see my original comments).

Status
Not open for further replies.