Option on Author's Next Work

BlinkerBot

Displaced New Englander
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of publishing contracts which include a section about guaranteeing the publisher an option to acquire the author's next work. In both cases, a window of time (30-60 days) was stipulated, during which the author could not submit the work to another publisher, but at the end of that window they were free to do so if the publisher either (a) chose not to exercise the option or (b) failed to respond. My question: if the publishers DOES respond within the specified window and they DOES wish to exercise the option is the author REQUIRED to sign a contract with the publisher or can they still to choose to opt out?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, and 'option' is when the publisher wants first dibs on your next book. If they decide not to take it then you are free to submit it elsewhere.

BlinkerBot

Displaced New Englander
Registered
Reaction score
Right. I get that part. My question was more about if they want it to I HAVE to give it to them. In one case i saw this written as Option on Author's Next work. In another it was Rights to Author's Next Work.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. What exactly aren't you clear on?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Right. I get that part. My question was more about if they want it to I HAVE to give it to them. In one case i saw this written as Option on Author's Next work. In another it was Rights to Author's Next Work.

Yes, you have to sell it to them--that's what an option is.

However, most option clauses have something about "on terms to be mutually agreed by publisher and author." That can be an out, if you can't agree on terms. But you couldn't then take the book and sell it to another publisher for less than you were demanding from the option holder.

BlinkerBot

Displaced New Englander
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I think that answers my question. I was basically trying to figure out if the inclusion of that term 'locks' the author into signing if the publisher elects to exercise the option. Sounds like the answer is yes.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
It's a contract you sign. You can fight it in court but you'll likely lose, in more ways than one.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You could try to negotiate the option clause out of the contract before you sign it, if you object to it too much.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
??? The option clauses I've seen are all right of first refusal. So while I must send the relevant work to that publisher first, I'm not obligated to take their offer. A clause that says you must take the offer is evil.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
??? The option clauses I've seen are all right of first refusal. So while I must send the relevant work to that publisher first, I'm not obligated to take their offer. A clause that says you must take the offer is evil.

Yup -- while I have to show them first, if they make an offer I am under no obligation to take said offer.

This will ofc depend on the wording of the clause.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Very true!

The option clause generally means you have to offer it to them first, based on the same terms as the previous deal. If they change the terms to lower the overall deal, you may usually seek other options. If someone else makes a competing offer, the first publisher would then have to decide whether to match a higher offer from another pub.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
This can be negotiated out of your contract - it was with mine. I'd give it a go if it worries you :)

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it can't be negotiated and you may have to pass on the contract.

I've had two such contact offers, each of which wanted any and all next work for the life of the contract. Unfortunately, I also write for government agencies and such material is typically deemed confidential and/or classified. Obviously there was no way they could have any of that. Despite what I thought was a reasonable request to negotiate, I was surprised how intransigent both pubs were to any compromise of the contract boilerplate. Needless to say, I passed on both offers.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I've had two such contact offers, each of which wanted any and all next work for the life of the contract.

Lawks! That does not sound a good contract! I've herd of some that will basically lock an author into a publisher forever o_O

It's a clause that should be looked at very carefully, but it need not be a deal breaker if worded well (ie in your favour :D).

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread because I was just in a discussion about option clauses on another thread, and the info here is relevant.

I have a ton of questions about this, but here is my biggest:

What if you have an option clause but simply don't have anything to pitch? What if you've not written your next book (or even have an idea) at the time your first book is published?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of publishing contracts which include a section about guaranteeing the publisher an option to acquire the author's next work. In both cases, a window of time (30-60 days) was stipulated, during which the author could not submit the work to another publisher, but at the end of that window they were free to do so if the publisher either (a) chose not to exercise the option or (b) failed to respond. My question: if the publishers DOES respond within the specified window and they DOES wish to exercise the option is the author REQUIRED to sign a contract with the publisher or can they still to choose to opt out?

It depends on the wording of the contract.

It may say that if the publisher makes you an offer on work #2 at least as good as the contract for work #1, you have to accept.

It may say that if the publisher makes you an offer of any kind for work #2, you can choose to turn it down and shop the work elsewhere, but if you get an offer elsewhere you must allow the original publisher to match or exceed the offer from the second place.

It may say that if the publisher makes you an offer of any kind for work #2, you can choose to turn it down and shop the work elsewhere, but you can only accept an offer elsewhere if the terms are more favourable than those offered by the first publisher.

It may say that if the publisher makes you an offer of any kind for work #2, you can choose to turn it down and shop the work elsewhere, no strings and no hard feelings.

If it doesn't specify, I'd ask them to clarify.

The contract should also define what 'next work' means. Next novel length work? Next book in the series? Next book in the same genre/subgenre? Next blog post you write?

What if you have an option clause but simply don't have anything to pitch? What if you've not written your next book (or even have an idea) at the time your first book is published?
Ask them to define 'next work' in the contract, so you know what you're committing to, and ask them to put in the contract whether it can be a proposal or if it has to be a completed manuscript.

Last edited:

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I already signed my contract ages ago without knowing what I was doing, lol. I'm okay with almost all of it and I think everything seems fair, but it doesn't say what happens if you simply don't have another book written.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard anyone say that the option book has to be finished or even pitched before the first book comes out. But I've never had an option clause, so I have no personal experience, just a lot of friends with a lot of books.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hypothetically, let's say someone's option clause says the work must be submitted by a certain date. All I want to know is whether that's just a chance to pitch by that date or if there are some sort of legal consequences for not having another book ready by then.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hypothetically, let's say someone's option clause says the work must be submitted by a certain date. All I want to know is whether that's just a chance to pitch by that date or if there are some sort of legal consequences for not having another book ready by then.
It depends on the exact wording of the contract, but I'd say just ask the publisher to clarify.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I hadn't written the publisher because I was hoping there was still a chance I could get something together in time. It doesn't look like that's going to happen, so I probably should email.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you sign a two-book deal it will almost certainly have a deadline specified by which time you have to deliver that second book. If you don't deliver it, you'll be in breach of contract.

At that point, much depends on your contract. But expect to have to return the portion of the advance which was paid for this book, and perhaps further expenses too.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hypothetically, let's say

Why? Is this your situation or not? A hypothetical answer will not help you.

If you have to deliver it at a certain time, I'd start writing.

If you don't, then you don't have to worry about it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Note, by the way, that an option on a second book is not the same as a two book deal. If your contract contains an option clause for your next book, it could be that the date provided is the date that option expires, rather than a submission deadline.

If that's not the case and it is a submission deadline then no, pitching the book by that date is not going to be acceptable. The publisher will have put the book into its publication schedule and will have an editor standing by, and so on. They'll want the manuscript, not a pitch for it.

If you think you're not going to make it you must speak to your editor as soon as possible.