Re-Querying An Agent

twright

Registered
Reaction score
In general, I know it's bad form, to say the least, to re-query an agent who has turned down my query because the material just didn't grab her.

However, what if the agent was initially interested in the pitch at a conference several years ago and since then I have both significantly improved my craft and re-written as well as deepened the plot? This was a finalist several years ago in a prominent writing contest, and I have to say it's much better now.

Because I really liked and respected the agent, I'd like to run it by her again, but only if it were appropriate. Is there a tactful way to approach this agent or should I just forget about it?

Thanks!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Most agents will accept re-queries that come more than a year apart in any case. They just don't like it when you run a lightly edited version of the same book past them again and again.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There are no QueryPolice who will arrest you for querying again. The worst thing that can happen is s/he'll say no.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
There are no QueryPolice who will arrest you for querying again. The worst thing that can happen is s/he'll say no.

Yeah, but what about the Query Death Squads? I heard you were involved with one of those... ;)

BigBooksNY

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.booksandbuzz.com
Yea, I def think you should requery. Don't dwell on the past in the letter just a line or two to refresh her memory. Keep it light and focused.