e-book agent

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place, or if I should try the B&BC board...

A year or so ago, I remember reading some discussion of an agent who was specializing in placing books with e-publishers. Can anyone remember this agent's name, or her agency? I wanted to look her up to see if she was making good sales and/or representing authors I know of, but I couldn't remember her name.

In more general terms, and asking either agents or authors (or publishers, I guess)... what do you think about this idea? I know e-publishers are as inundated with submissions as other publishers are, so I can see why they might like to install gatekeepers. But with the generally lower income from e-book-only publishing, is there enough money to make this niche worthwhile for an agent while still paying authors for their work?

I'm just playing the 'predict the future' game with the e-book-only industry, and wondering whether agents have a future there.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Given that you don't normally need an agent to sub to an e-pub, I'm always curious as to why a writer would want to go that way at this time.

I don't know, if things change maybe an agent would be needed but at this point in time, I fail to see where an agent would be an advantage.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Presumably the agent could negotiate better contracts -- keeping subrights for the author, etc.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Most agents these days are subbing to both trade and e-publishers (I know my agent is). Also trade publishers tend to be publishing their books in both paper and electronic versions. So I think the best bet is to get an agent who suits your genre, not your medium of choice (besides, going paper isn't going to hold you back, if anything you get the best of both worlds).

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
. Wouldn't the long list of reasons it's good to have an agent apply to e-pub agents? And if not, why?

This is a question I struggle with and am interesting in hearing everyone's thoughts.
ao lot nu bon bon quan ao nu dep yem an cho be ban buon quan ao vest cong so nu cho thue trang phuc da hoi
I think there's an assumption, perhaps antiquated, that if an agent is submitting to places that accept unagented submissions, they must not have the contacts in the industry.

Last edited: