Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic - thanks! I've liked the aesthetic for a while but don't think I've read anything distinctly 'steam punk' yet, though my very bookish niece and her husband are supposedly really into it.

As a kid though I loved the Victorian era sci-fi though, along with the myriad Wizard of Oz sequels...

Curfew Gull

Feeding my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
My last screenplay just ended up being Steampunk, though I didn't know it. My twenty-something daughter told me thats what it was. Guess I was just tuning into the current zeitgeist, or something. Or maybe time travel tales lend themselves to that genre. I did truly love the time travel technology that I thought up :>)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic - thanks! I've liked the aesthetic for a while but don't think I've read anything distinctly 'steam punk' yet, though my very bookish niece and her husband are supposedly really into it.

Can you point them in my direction? I have a free Steampunk serial hosted on my blog that's been getting rave reviews, but not as much traffic as I'd like.

Orphans of the Celestial Sea

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, Drachen.

I'm beginning to think of my finished work as being on the Steam/Dieselpunk cusp.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of that. Demi-steampunk, things that are sort of on the edge. The Golden Compass is a good example. Some would include it in the camp, some wouldn't. There always seems to be one debate or another going on BrassGoggles about what is or is not Steampunk.

As far as the fashion and art end of Steampunk goes, there's even a song about it. Well worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
:roll:
The song on Youtube's brilliant.

Demi-steampunk might be a way to describe what I write or even demi-dieselpunk.

writeontime

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the links, Drachen.

Luddite that I am, I hadn't realised that a steampunk forum existed. I just checked out the brassgoggles site and stumbled onto a discussion about Flashman and the Taiping Rebellion. Warmed the cockles of my heart. :D

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Nice. . . I love Steampunk for the imagery alone, and have just started reading and writing in the genre. I would love to learn more!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but as my book coming out this December is Steampunk, I started writing a weekly (well when I have the time weekly :) ) article about Steampunk on Tuesdays. I archived them in my sidebar at my blog under: Steampunk Tuesdays

My goal was to try to help people who weren't that familiar with it become more so. So some pretty simple articles defining it, as well as articles that have lists of movies and books etc. I also have a few interviews with some people who are quite known in the scene. For anyone interested. . . my blog is here (and just scroll down the sidebar till you get to Steampunk Tuesday :) ).

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm growing into a steampunk aficionado. Of course, as a costumer and prop builder, it comes naturally. Here's a faux-finished leather fan I just completed, for a costume to be entered into a convention art show next summer.

steampunkfanfinished.jpg

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Saturday Darling Bride and I are renewing our vows in a steampunk wedding. I was researching music and lost freakin' hours on youtube to Steam Powered Gorillas, The Cog is Dead, Abney Park and the Clockwork Dolls. Oh, and Professor Elemental.

Drachen, thanks for the heads up. I've bookmarked the serial and look forward to reading it. Provided I survive the weekend. :)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Drachen, thanks for the heads up. I've bookmarked the serial and look forward to reading it. Provided I survive the weekend. :)

I hope you enjoy it. Please comment either way, I appreciate any feedback, and good luck this weekend!

Last edited:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone interested, the Steampunk World's Faire is being held in Piscataway, NJ. The dates are May 17 - 19, 2013. If it's being held where I think it is, they took over the first floor of *two* hotels this year. (Granted the hotels were next to each other and pretty much shared parking lots.)

Oh, and I love The Clockwork Dolls and Abney Park. Had tea with both bands (not at the same event, though). Both bands were great, both on stage and off.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
my newest steampunk short is going to be released June 9!

http://www.queerteen-press.com/inde...oducts_id=90&zenid=etqtk2dqdjut4jn8qvp45jjoh6

I plan on two more parts to this series. I feel like I finally found an outlet for my love of historical fiction, and can also use my imagination in creating an alternate history and fun alternative technology, as well as diverse characters in a different setting from the norm.

Kes Cross

Registered
Reaction score
Great links, thanks. Now to find out if they're open to steampunk comedy, or if it's all just heaving bosoms, dirigibles and bloody goggles (oh. Wait. Two out of three of those are in my Remarkable Tale of Leopold P Gladfast. Bugger...)

Eddy Rod-Kubry

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the links! My interest in steampunk has been growing lately, and the stuff I'm currently writing could be classed as quasi-steampunk or demi-steampunk. I'll check out those forums.

misslandis

Registered
Reaction score
Steampunk has always interested me... Thanks for posting! Brass Goggles certainly looks very active and vibrant.