World Cup Draw

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Wow, it looks like some really intriguing groups. Brazil and Argentina look to have it pretty easy. Groups B and D look wicked, and the US got a tough draw, too. Oh, well.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Link: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/06/sport/football/world-cup-draw-brazil-2014/

Groups:

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon.
Group B: Spain, Netherlands,Chile, Australia.
Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan.
Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy.
Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France,Honduras.
Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria.
Group G: Germany, Portugal,Ghana, USA.
Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korea.

I think the U.S is between a rock (Germany) and a hard place (Portugal). And Ghana has had the U.S.'s number in the past. Just getting out of that group would be huge win for U.S. football.

I don't know that Brazil has an easy draw, at all. I think they'll get through, though.

Spain and the Netherlands look okay, as well. I don't think that group (B) has many surprises. And Argentina has something of a cakewalk, no doubt.

Groups H and C should be a lot of fun, though Colombia should go through much easier than Belgium.

France has the best draw I think, apart from Argentina.

The real "Group of Death" is Group D, imo. I know G is getting that label right now, but there are some bloodbaths in D. Uruguay/Italy is just gonna be epic, I think. And England against both. Then there's Costa Rica, who are currently ranked 31. I think they're a very dangerous team and the three heavyweights in D need to be very, very careful.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No easy groups here - I agree, maybe Argentina and France have the best draw?

Australia would have it tough no matter what. They need to prove they belong; 2006 was a long time ago. But they're going with an Australian coach now, so it appears they're committed to going homegrown. This is coming-of-age time.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I enjoy watching the progression of the national teams. I don't watch international soccer much outside of the WC so it's interesting to see how teams rise and fall every four years, what they do to get into the competition and how they balance stars and the up and coming talent.

We're a Viva Italia family, but you're right robeiae. It's going to be a slugfest in that crucible.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've finished my admittedly amateurish analysis of the groups and brackets.

My early predictions:

Semis: Germany defeats Spain, the Netherlands defeats Argentina

Finals: the Netherlands defeats Germany.

The full analysis and predictions are linked to in my siggy, for those interested (even for those that want to tell me I'm full of it, because I have England failing to get out of the group stage and Brazil losing in the round of 16 :)).

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ermmm.... you are actually aware of the history of the Netherlands in the World Cup, yes?

Because they are notorious for going in looking like world beaters and then imploding in the semis.

And did you say that final against Spain where they were pretending to be Bruce Lee?

The Netherlands? Seriously?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ermmm.... you are actually aware of the history of the Netherlands in the World Cup, yes?

Because they are notorious for going in looking like world beaters and then imploding in the semis.

And did you say that final against Spain where they were pretending to be Bruce Lee?

The Netherlands? Seriously?

Yep. Hey, they were in the finals, regardless of what happened in the actual game. That's better than ever other team in the draw in 2010, aside from Spain, of course.

But it's cool, I don't mind the heat. My pick is just an opinion, based on little more than my imagination. :)

Who is your pick?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The full analysis and predictions are linked to in my siggy, for those interested (even for those that want to tell me I'm full of it, because I have England failing to get out of the group stage and Brazil losing in the round of 16 :)).

England failing to get out of the group stage, very possible.

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I predict Italy against either Germany or Brazil, with the Italians coming on top.