Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
I am done with a book and have it formatted the way I want. I am exporting it to EPUB through InDesign CC and previewing it in iBooks and also through Kindle previewer. Everything is fine except for one thing... where I have created page breaks, the exported file is not including them.

I tried exporting to HTML just to see what it did and there is no line breaks there. I know its proprietary markup ( in kindle ) but I still would like to include them in a few specific places ( to mark separations of chapters ).

In kindle this is the tag they say to use: <mbp:pagebreak />
In iBooks, I have not yet figured out how to create them, I am going to work on that today once I sort out the kindle version.

Is there any way to force it to include line breaks on export. Or alternatively, I could export to HTML but I am having trouble figuring out how to go back to the EPUB format from there and also it didn't include the fonts, so there was other issues to consider as I have a custom font I was using for the headers that looks really good and matches the font on the book cover as well... so I really want to keep that consistent if possible.

Are there any tricks or things I can try here to improve on my workflow and do a better job of separating the chapters ?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Do you have chapter titles or numbers? if so, try setting a heading style for them and using CSS page breaks, which are not proprietary code:

For example, I use the following style for Heading 1:
Code:
h1 {font: 200% Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif; text-align:center; margin-top:4em; margin-bottom:4em; page-break-before:always;}

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
Very cool! I didn't know css could handle page breaks in that manner. This would be nice as I would only need 1 EPUB version.. instead of making special line breaks just for the kindle specific version and another one for the others. Very interesting.

Going to try this workflow although I think I will need to add it as a css class since all of my 'h1' headings were generated as p tags on export with the class of 'h1'.

Status
Not open for further replies.