Since We Have an Instant Turn-Offs Thread, How About One For Turn-Ons?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Can you go into a little detail about that? I've wanted to write gay or bi female lead for a while now (I have a certain voice in mind that keeps coming back to me), but like Blinkk, I'm worried that I'll somehow misrepresent or offend. Part of me thinks it doesn't matter, that I should just focus on the universal love aspect of it all and it will take care of itself, but part of me is paranoid all the same. Either way, I think it would be really useful for writers like me and Blinkk who are too paralyzed with fear to continue. :tongue

EDIT: I should clarify what I'm asking. How are queer characters misrepresented most commonly?

A common one in urban fantasy is to have them as predators. They will act in a creepy stalker way towards the same sex very straight protagonist, despite said straight protagonist making it clear there's no interest there. Bonus points if it's mixed in with also being a vampire/werewolf or something, so they keep hitting on the straight protagonist whilst wanting to drink their blood/attack them. Queer sexuality is scary!

For bisexuals specifically, they've often portrayed as extremely sexual. So they'll be sleeping with anyone and everyone. It's not that you shouldn't have characters with that sort of sex life, but for bisexual characters, that's often all that's seen. It's much rarer to see someone monogamous, for example. And if they are, there's the suggestion that they can never be happy with one partner. This is reflected in real life, where bisexuals can end up dumped by partners because it's believed it's inevitable they will cheat (usually with someone of a different sex/gender identity to the partner).

And for all genres of fiction, a queer relationship is never allowed to end happily. Someone will die/other tragedy, even in a series which is generally fluffy and the straight relationships all end happily ever after.

You best bet for realism comes in several flavours. 1) Love and relationships have the same range as straight relationships do. All that's different is the pool of people the character will consider as potential partners. 2) The personality and behaviour of queer people has the same range as straight people, so if you do things like all gay people being great at fashion, expect comments. 3) But do acknowledge societal differences, like the aforementioned problems where people assume bisexual partners will cheat, homophobia, and all that. This may not apply if your urban fantasy is very different socially to our world.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Naomi Clark has a lesbian werewolf http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7790365-silver-kiss I think there are two books in the series? And they aren't new...

I LOVE necromancers but I feel like everyone else does too, so I never write them thinking it's all been done before.

I like all sorts of monster monsters, but I don't are for cryptids. I'd rather have Lovecraftian type monsters. Dragons are great but I don't write about them either for the same reason as necromancers. Maybe I should quit worrying LOL!

I like werewolves, heck the novella I sold is all about shifters. But I get tired of everything being about mating and packs.

And I love vampires! To this day I love vampires! But they are such a hard sell. I haven't written a vampire story in forever! I have an idea for one now but it needs to percolate for a while longer.

zeragon7

Registered
Reaction score
A common one in urban fantasy is to have them as predators. They will act in a creepy stalker way towards the same sex very straight protagonist, despite said straight protagonist making it clear there's no interest there. Bonus points if it's mixed in with also being a vampire/werewolf or something, so they keep hitting on the straight protagonist whilst wanting to drink their blood/attack them. Queer sexuality is scary!

For bisexuals specifically, they've often portrayed as extremely sexual. So they'll be sleeping with anyone and everyone. It's not that you shouldn't have characters with that sort of sex life, but for bisexual characters, that's often all that's seen. It's much rarer to see someone monogamous, for example. And if they are, there's the suggestion that they can never be happy with one partner. This is reflected in real life, where bisexuals can end up dumped by partners because it's believed it's inevitable they will cheat (usually with someone of a different sex/gender identity to the partner).

And for all genres of fiction, a queer relationship is never allowed to end happily. Someone will die/other tragedy, even in a series which is generally fluffy and the straight relationships all end happily ever after.

You best bet for realism comes in several flavours. 1) Love and relationships have the same range as straight relationships do. All that's different is the pool of people the character will consider as potential partners. 2) The personality and behaviour of queer people has the same range as straight people, so if you do things like all gay people being great at fashion, expect comments. 3) But do acknowledge societal differences, like the aforementioned problems where people assume bisexual partners will cheat, homophobia, and all that. This may not apply if your urban fantasy is very different socially to our world.

I think I understand what you're saying. Thanks! :)

MormonMobster

Registered
Reaction score
One thing I like is taking modern conflicts and linking them to supernatural events: For example, I'm writing an urban fantasy involving a vampire antagonist who was "turned" in the chaos of the Yugoslav Wars, when he was a soldier in said conflicts. That still gives the familiarity of a vampire, yet he's a different kind of vampire than the traditional centuries-old type, with his own attitude, prejudices, and insight.

Z0Marley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I such a nerd and it's about to show. I can't stand anything with vamps, werewolves, Frankensteins, or zombies.

Then you give me dragons, unicorns, anything mythology-ish and I'm a total sucker for it.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
A strong story-line with a variety cast, unique concepts and hints of research and imaginations. Everything has to work! I hate story-lines when something random happens or a character is written and it ends up being something stupid and random with NO point :/

gloame

Registered
Reaction score
I really love seeing female friendships. That's always a huge draw to me.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Characters of color written with sense and respect are an instant turn-on.

Female MCs with real jobs,in addition to being in the supernatural world is another one.

Riftrunner

Registered
Reaction score
Dragons instantly catch my attention, especially if they are not instantly the enemy that must be slain and more so if they are intelligent rather than just being beastial. I am a sucker for the hardboiled, film noir like narration. Lastly, I do like to read urban fantasy with a male lead simply because its not as common and as a dude I can relate a bit better.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Naomi Clark has a lesbian werewolf http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7790365-silver-kiss I think there are two books in the series? And they aren't new...

I LOVE necromancers but I feel like everyone else does too, so I never write them thinking it's all been done before.

I like all sorts of monster monsters, but I don't are for cryptids. I'd rather have Lovecraftian type monsters. Dragons are great but I don't write about them either for the same reason as necromancers. Maybe I should quit worrying LOL!

I like werewolves, heck the novella I sold is all about shifters. But I get tired of everything being about mating and packs.

And I love vampires! To this day I love vampires! But they are such a hard sell. I haven't written a vampire story in forever! I have an idea for one now but it needs to percolate for a while longer.
I think werewolves and vampires are not gonna be a hard sell for much longer. Now that the Twilight craze as become more and more of an unpleasant memory the UF community is trying to recover from, vampires who fit any kind of traditional or less commonly pursued depictions could soon become attractive. Even looking at vampires from a global level, stories about Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Persian, Chinese, pagan, GLBT vampires one with sufficient creativity could see all sorts of uncharted territory, This holds true for werewolves and nature spirits and selkies and elves and trolls and Greek or Persian mythology monsters and characters as well.

In the mean time, maybe something about cyborg - human - bionic hybrids or Transformers - human mixtures or an alien race that nobody else has done? That is the great thing about aliens - there are quite literally infinite possibilities in a sci if and urban fantasy setting and zero creative restraints.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I've been intrigued by Vampire Fairies.

I'm really into hybrid creatures.

Imriaylde

Registered
Reaction score
Something I've recently found I'm very drawn to in stories is gods. I love learing the mythology behind them, and I especially like when they're shown as not all-powerful or all-knowing. I just find them very interesting :).

ScarletWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
I like fantasy with characters that don't fit into a specific category, within a modern (non-dystopian) world. I don't want vampires or werewolves or zombies or pirates. I want people who are doctors or writers or chefs or bodyguards going about their lives, and find themselves drawn into something bigger than their own lives because of something special or unique or terrible about them.

Real people, no tropes. Fresh ideas I haven't seen.

Sarah Wynde's A Gift of Ghosts fascinated me with new ideas of death/afterlife/ghosts/those who can talk to ghosts. I'm not a ghost story person but I loved what she did with this book. Similarly, To Catch Her Death by Boone Brux kept me turning pages with her unique approach to grim reapers.

Last edited:

kkwalker

Registered
Reaction score
I'll read just about anything in this genre that is well-written. However, I seem to be drawn to shifters (non-wolf), and witches. I'm just not that into the whole pentagram-candles-sacrifice-a-goat thing, though. I like magic where it is an intrinsic part of the person.

D.M.L

"Fortune"
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that really, really, really is a big dealbreaker for me is if a Masquerade is presented in a way that is not insulting to its audience's intelligence, and does not require fantastic rationalizations, where magic (or the equivalent) is not presented as an instant cure-all.

By this, I mean authors relying on their characters having to do the legwork the good old-fashioned way, act with care and subtlety to keep their devices hidden. If I can see them do this, instead of the author simply saying "muggles simply rationalize away anything that doesn't fit into their preconceptions" or "muggles are so skeptical they ignore the supernatural or try to explain it in mundane terms" then that's an instant turn-on for me.

This is partially why I've really liked Kitty Norville so far.

Iron Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
When the magic has been integrated into the setting well enough to explain how it interacts with the economics of the world. And it makes sense.

Also, when the magic doesn't involve parlor tricks and anything useful is some huge easily dis-ruptable ritual.

kkwalker

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the more interesting stuff I've read recently feature angels, but not messengers-of-the-divine kind of angels. And vampires that aren't undead. More that they just... are. Nalini Singh and J.R. Ward (respectively) do this so well I am jealous. Seriously.

Shamanism is also something I don't see a lot of, but which I really love. It's just difficult to write, I suppose, because it's so far off of what most people grow up with that it requires a lot of research to get right.

I really like stories with female protagonists, and also stories of redemption. I really like underdogs who have seemingly useless powers that find creative ways of making those powers save the day.