Books that Made you Cry?

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Sunny, Diary Three by Ann M Martin. It's the only one of the California Diaries that was written by her (all others were ghosties) and it shows. Gets me every damn near time.

AlexHale

Registered
Reaction score
The Fault in our Stars, along with the majority of the other people who read it. I'm not usually a John Green fan, but I really did think that was a beautiful story.

ArtisticRabbit

is actually a seal. :I
Registered
Reaction score
Pet Sematary.

PET F****ING SEMATARY.

My mother told me about this book, saying it was the scariest book she had ever read, kept her up at night, etc. Naturally, me being the masochist huge Stephen King fan that I am, I had to check it out so I bought a copy from B&N.

I was not at all expecting to be hit in a head-on collision by the feelsmobile. Good gods, I cried. I cried several times. Then after finishing it, I kinda just curled on the couch in my puddle of tears, lamenting like Dean Winchester: "Wish I couldn't feel a damn thing." ;______;

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

Registered
Reaction score
Charlotte's Web for me. I've cried at plenty since but that was the first book that made me cry my eyes out.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh lawd. I cry pretty easily. I even cried during Disney's Mulan. Let's see, off the top of my head...

Pretty much all of Khaled Hosseini's books.
Shantaram
Thud!
Small Gods

Ptolemy's Gate

Um...and a lot more. The list of books that did not make me cry might be shorter. :D

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't cry easily. Maybe twice a year.

But A Stolen Life got to me, in that "sobbing in the corner and wanting to alone in the dark" sort of way.

It's Jaycee Dugard's memoir of her time in captivity.

BekkahSmith

Registered
Reaction score
The Darkest Evening of the Year - Dean Koontz. I shed buckets of tears from beginning to end. It was very hard for me to get through. It touched me deeply as it focuses on dogs and dog rescues. I will never read it again, but I am glad I read it once.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
This is quite embarrassing really, but last night I read the delightful book 'The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane' by Kate Dicamillo and I actually shed a tear at the end.

She is my idol. I own just about every book she's written, and every single one of them made me cry. She has this way with subtly that just pulls slowly at your heartstrings until the last word of the book rips it right out. No other writer has had the same effect on me.

Edward Tulane is by far my favorite, but read The Magician's Elephant and A Tiger Rising. You won't regret it. :)

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
She is my idol. I own just about every book she's written, and every single one of them made me cry. She has this way with subtly that just pulls slowly at your heartstrings until the last word of the book rips it right out. No other writer has had the same effect on me.

Edward Tulane is by far my favorite, but read The Magician's Elephant and A Tiger Rising. You won't regret it. :)

There's not a fragment of a sentence of The Tale of Despereaux that loses its power over me, no matter how many times I read it; and Edward Tulane is beautiful, too.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
The Art of Racing in the Rain. I love it, but I cry every time I read it. Even though it has basically a happy ending. (The French review I read of it complained of that, calling it "an American ending" ;) )

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
I generally don't cry while reading but I did cry when I read The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. I felt so ridiculous. I was on a bus surrounded by people too.

Racey

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, I cried during:
The Fault in Our Stars
Allegiant, which is the last book in the Divergent series.

Exactly what I was going to say. Both of these made me cry like a baby!
In the past there have been a few, but my memory won't stretch that far.

StephNS

Registered
Reaction score
Putputt I'm with you... pretty much everything makes me cry (which gets a bit embarrassing when reading in public-transpo).

Khaled Husseini's books make me cry even more than most, so did
Lindsey Buroker's "Forged in Blood" and
Elizabeth Chadwick's "The Outlaw Knight"

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Libby's 5th ed. -Managerial Accounting

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
  • Wuthering Heights
  • Les Miserables
  • The Learning Tree
  • The Color Purple
  • Ghost No More

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
I don't cry readily and there's only one book that has ever made me choke up every time, even after multiple rereadings.

Where the Red Fern Grows

This book made me cry more than any other book - ever!

Gone With The Wind - hey, I was 11!
To Kill A Mockingbird - I cry every time I teach it
Boy's Life by Robert McCammon
Most of Pat Conroy's books

Edited to add: I actually cry over almost every book I read. And TV show. And movie.

Last edited: