Dream strong.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last night I dreamed about an frail elderly woman trapped between my front door and the storm door. What does it mean, doctor? (IMO, nothing at all.) I also dreamed of Track Changes. (Which means edits.)

Mr. Maryn claims not to dream, but he does, based on subverbal mumbles, changing facial expressions, and physical movements. He just doesn't remember them. My favorite dream of his occurred early in our marriage, when he rolled almost on top of me, grabbed my breast, and said, "Got another one of these?" In the morning he had no recollection of it.

Maryn, still amused

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
My dreams are crazy awesome, really bizarre stuff, vivid and extreme. I try to remember them if I wake in the night in order to get back to sleep. It's a trick I was told that insomniacs do. Sometimes all it takes is focusing on one strong image or theme, especially since most dream themes reoccur. Mine is mostly car accidents since I've been in so many, (not my fault FTL).

In other news, I received my first full agent rej. It was really glowing and I agreed (or should I say feared) her critique suggestions. Its only the second time its been read - first by a beta now this alpha - but I don't have other readers like I used to - so not bad for a second read.

I have to say, since I've starting to get back into writing and submitting again after a decade off, I do have a tougher skin, so I have that going for me.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. I remind myself of this quote "all writing is rewriting".

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's great about the helpful feedback on the full reject! The only fulls I've sent out have gotten only very brief comments (mostly that the pacing was off or she couldn't root for the characters).

My very first published short story was based on a dream. It was a Quantum Leap type thing where I was transported into Governor Connelly's body just as he, JFK and their wives were getting into the car at Love Field before riding through Dallas. I knew what was going to happen and couldn't say anything.

But a lot of times I dream about finding bags of money.

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
That's great about the helpful feedback on the full reject! The only fulls I've sent out have gotten only very brief comments (mostly that the pacing was off or she couldn't root for the characters).

My very first published short story was based on a dream. It was a Quantum Leap type thing where I was transported into Governor Connelly's body just as he, JFK and their wives were getting into the car at Love Field before riding through Dallas. I knew what was going to happen and couldn't say anything.

But a lot of times I dream about finding bags of money.

Thanks, I'm trying to be hopeful. I've always received glowing rejs my whole career. Not that all have been published, of course. Sometimes I wish they would have put me out of my misery instead. Yet, then again, I would have never gotten this far with out all the encouragement.

Your story sounds amazing, such a cool premise. I love quantum leap - I loved the "device" they used to comment on social/cultural issues. Gotta love sci-fi/fantasy for being the best at doing that.

You'll never find bags of money writing so you might as well dream...............

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning.

The Writer's Almanac for April 24, 2014

Quite some variety in the Almanac today. Sue Grafton, Anthony Trollope, Robert Penn Warren, and the anniversary of the Easter Rising, also known as The Poet's Rebellion. (I did not know that. Well, heck, there are many things I do not know, but it seems I should have known that bit.)

Also, there is a poem in honor of a tree. That's more my speed today, to be honest. Talking with trees is much easier on the nervous system than talking with humans, in general.

*sips coffee*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, a fresh cup of coffee raised to Ms. Grafton, whose work I've enjoyed. I also like her attitude about Hollywood, which is that they can go f--- themselves. (She was a screenwriter at one time.)

I'm a thrift store and library's used book sale shopper, and I'm amassing Grafton's complete alphabet series. I think I'm complete up to M or N, but after that I have gaps. One day I shall haul out my reading glasses and undertake them in order.

Her long series tackles an interesting problem, that of her character growing too old to do what she does and be who she is. Interesting approach, too. Time passes more slowly there than in the world you and I live in.

Maryn, who likes escapist novels

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, I've read and enjoyed a number of the Grafton series, but I was not aware she was dealing with the aging of her MC. I guess I kind of figured it was being dealt with by the well-known method of "character agelessness and immortality."

:D

Shadow, I have paid little attention to Heartbleed, but I did learn that it was a breach in security in big systems (such as banks, for instance, and email accounts, for another) by which people's data became insecure.

However I also learned that unless your particular systems (for instance, PayPal) alert you that there is a compromise in security, it's all okay.

I did not scurry to change anything. But I also have nothing for anyone to steal, so there is that.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Considering the regularity with which I am hacked, I changed all the financial ones and the few where I shop online. I don't know if it was any accident my debit card and Twitter account were hacked within days of the Heartbleed outbreak, but they were.

Maryn, who should live off the grid for a while

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*knock on wood* I've never had anything worse than a pesky virus or two. But I'm changing my PayPal password now just to be safe.

I see the Sue Grafton books everywhere, but committing to 26 books is quite a commitment. Do you need to read them in order? Or is there one that's particularly good someone could start with?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I could have a field day with my *cough night terrors, I mean dreams. I usually save that for my poems.

A latte is a good enough replacement.^_-

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chris, it's been a while since I read them but perhaps Maryn has a favorite to recommend to you. As I recall it isn't necessary to read them in order though there is probably a bit of business in each reminiscent of previous stories.

ETA: JustSarah, welcome to Sloppy Joe's :)

The Writer's Almanac for April 25, 2014

Whatever else today is it's a good day for the almanac. It's the birthday of the featured poet, Ted Kooser, whose poem moved me to a tear or two, with its delicate and precise image.

And it's also the anniversary of the publication of Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. I've never read it, but reading about it is almost as good, apparently. Check out its original title. :D

Another poet whose birthday is today, James Fenton, said, "The writing of a poem is like a child throwing stones into a mineshaft. You compose first, then you listen for the reverberation."

And today in 2003 the Human Genome Project completed the mapping of the human DNA.

Hmm. Or so they think, something prompts me to add. :D

Okay, time for me to attend to my coffee. Have a great day, everyone.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was a lovely poem. Stuff like that is why I don't even attempt poetry, you know? I'll never write an image that beautifully. (Especially if I don't try, huh?)

Chris, one of the good things about the Grafton series is that every one of the books stands alone quite nicely, without huge summations of what's come before slowing you down. If you read them in order, certain larger arcs become more visible--the main character's growth as a person, her love life, where she lives getting better, etc.--but you don't need to know any of that to enjoy the one you've got in your hands.

It's been too long since I read them to recommend a particular one. If I were you, I'd seek one of the first four or five, which should be easy enough to find. Well, maybe not where you are!

Maryn, still seeing the woman in the poem

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning.

Maryn, I sympathize with your response to that poem yesterday. That level of artistic accomplishment is very humbling. Fortunately (I suppose) it doesn't stop me for very long. :D

The Writer's Almanac for April 26, 2014

Today's poem is simple and humble enough. My own focus this morning was drawn to the condition of the earth's body, before I ever came online, and I see today is the anniversary of the Chernobyl Disaster.

Also noted is the landing at Chesapeake Bay by English invaders/settlers (motivated, it says here, by entrepreneurial intentions on the part of their sponsors). And the birthdays of Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher, and Frederick Law Olmsted, landscape architect and conservationist, who designed public parks, and died in a hospital after suffering a mental breakdown.

After a life working to ensure that humans have access to green spaces, it is somehow telling that his spirit broke. Or, perhaps that is just my morning mood.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Going to watch g-daughter Maz play volleyball this morning and then will attend the District 6 Kansas Author's Club meeting this afternoon. Hope to be home by 7 when the weather might turn dicey--s6

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My city boasts an Olmstead park. It's really quite lovely, although it looks its worst in early spring, with sodden litter the snow formerly covered plus gouges in the grass from maintenance vehicles which should have stayed on paved paths when it was so wet. By June this will all be taken care of despite budget cutbacks, though.

Maryn, who walks there sometimes

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, that's very cool! I read through that in the almanac several times this morning, because it seemed as though Olmstead was being credited for inspiring the creation of Central Park in NYC, but it was never named, so I am not certain!

I just walked up to the local closest store here, which walk takes me past a block square park called Pollard Park. It's a lovely space with a sort of valley in the center, mostly greensward with selected trees. One ancient sweetgum next to the sidewalk is about as big across its girth as I am tall, but it has been cut back on all its large limbs (pollarded, perhaps) to a shameful degree. Still it is a lovely creature!

Shakey I hope the weather is gentle with you this evening. Stay safe.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lazy Sunday here.

The Writer's Almanac for April 27, 2014

Today's poem by Mary Oliver is an example of why I love her work, when I do, which is most of the time.

As for the rest of the almanac today, there are several writers (whose names I don't recognize, though I have heard of their writings) briefly noted, along with Mary Wollstonecraft, who wrote Vindication of the Rights of Women, way back in 1792, and Roger Peterson, creator of the Peterson Field Guide to the Birds, which I need to look at today.

Yesterday evening we went to a star gazing event, at a convent out in the countryside near here, a gorgeous and serene location. We saw a startling bird by the road, very striking markings, and no one knows what it was, so I am in search of a picture today.

Shakey, I hope your weather last night was not too rough; I did read there had been tornadoes in North Carolina and there were threats of bad weather in the central states.

Coffee's fresh here.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, August Wilson! Fine playwright.

My city is the only one outside NYC to have staged all ten of his Pittsburgh Cycle plays, and I saw them all. One play per decade about the black experience in the city, many of them just brilliant.

Maryn, who loves theater, but not musicals

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the Grafton recommendations. I'll be back home in the land of thrift shops and garage sales in about three more months.

But do the foreign translations have more books for Ñ, ç and Д? :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
High overhead, Chris's wit soars. Maryn looks up, unaware she's drooling again.

Maryn, who only has one language

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What? Did someone say something?

*sound of commentary whizzing past at the speed of thought beyond my capacity*