Casting Your Novel

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Right now I'm barely working it out. I need a bunch of young actors and I don't know any anymore, but here are some of the more mature ones.

Gackt-gackt-29385590-500-740.jpg

My boy Gackt as Conrad Carina, headmaster of a school that trains mercenaries.
hyde-in-moon-child.jpg

My guy HYDE as the sorceress' servant, Draca Ewald.

Now for the toss up. Either:
NicTse.jpg

Nicolas Tse
or:
christopher-egan-12.jpg

Christopher Egan for the evil president of the continent...Whose name I just forgot. Lol...

Pammie Simon

Pammie
Registered
Reaction score
I base my characters off of people that I know in real life or just make them up from scratch as I go along... but it was fun to scour the internet looking for people who match my thoughts!

Elleigh Linden - She's too old, but Rachel Bilson. I was looking for a girl with meat on her bones... which was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

Zee Sebastian - Avan Jogia

Diamond Hutchinson - Jennette McCurdy - Corporate princess with a heart of, well, not gold, but not all bad either.

Ray Collingsworth - Ryan Gosling

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Everyone casts such good looking people. If I were to give my casting pics for my ms, it'd be full of the quirkiest and/or most ordinary looking people in Hollywood. :eek:

same here. hahah. I'm having a super hard time looking up people because there's certainly no celebs that look like my characters at all ;)

Last edited:

S.P. van der Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'll share my characters too then ^^. I'm writing a Young-Adult Paranormal Romance.

1. I don't know her name XD. This is Raven in my story. She is the main character of my story. Outcast, because she has hallucinations, although there's more to it than just that...
raven.jpg

2. Milo Ventimiglia as Damian. He's the protagonist; soon to be lover of Raven. He's the paranormal one :p But I'm not telling.... :evil Read my book, when it ever comes out XD
Damian.jpg

3. Hayley Williams, AKA Lillian, Raven's best friend. She's loud and not very girly. She can pack a punch, though she does have a caring personality.
lillian.jpg

4. Simon, I don't know his real name ;). He likes Raven, but she falls for Damian eventually. Simon is kind of shy, though friendly.
Simon.jpg

5. Alexander Ludwig. In my book he's called Joey. He's Damians friend. Joey thinks he's hot and flirts with every girl he meets. :tongue
joey4.jpg

6. I don't know her name either :p But she's called Emma. Best friend of Lillian. She's the popular one, though she doesn't care she's befriended to weirdos. They all go to school together.
emma.jpg

Well I'll stop here now :) But every character in my book has a picture associated with it, else I cannot work with them.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'll share my characters too then ^^. I'm writing a Young-Adult Paranormal Romance.

1. I don't know her name XD. This is Raven in my story. She is the main character of my story. Outcast, because she has hallucinations, although there's more to it than just that...
raven.jpg

That's Susan Coffey.
Cool list you got there :)

LynKay

Hanging out through Space and Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marilynalmodovar.blogspot.com
Wow, last time I posted on this thread was back in January 2010.

This is my current WIP, though some people said it could be NA, I think I'll leave it as Upper YA. *headdesk* Anyway... Its a Paranormal story entitled Casa de Animas. It's set in PUR and it's a sort of ghost story :D

Casadeanimascast_zps47337b40.png

The background picture is of Naguabo, and its beach.
The list of Characters is as follow,
Colt Winchester, 22 and a total bad influence.
Grayson Guzman, 18 year old MC and a Channeler(person who channels spirits),
Gustavo Morse, 20 Gray's friend and ex,
Tom Guzman, (Gray's dad) Distant parent and medium.
Ella Guzman (Gray's mum) Distant parent, a doctor.
Cervantes Guzman (Abuelo/ Gray's Granddad), Qualified Exorcist. Rebecca Guzman (Abuela/Gray's grandma) Walker (a person who helps the spirits cross over)
Bella Guzman a Walker, Gray's cousin.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I just remembered the name of my continent. Helleth! Now I can tell all the bad people to go to Helleth...Then again, most of them are already there, lol.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Ooh this is fun! Here are some of my characters from The Blemished:

Mina Hart

MC and complex character with telekinesis powers. She's shunned by society as a Blemished because of a genetic weakness in her family. Instead of taking her lot without question she goes on the run from the Enforcers, using her powers to keep her friends safe and lead them to the Clans.

a4caed32-b77f-4e8c-a4a8-1a60b3aebc22_zpsc4d5c850.jpg

Angela Dixon

Mina's best friend and confidant. She's Blemished too, and facing the prospect of sterilisation at the age of sixteen. Her mother is struggling with a degenerative mental illness, and she has the weight of responsibility on her shoulders. When Mina offers an escape from area 14 she takes it and goes on the run.

85b53c0c-72cb-4775-9131-664c4765027a_zpsfe8e8f09.jpg

Daniel Dixon

Angela's adoptive brother. He was taken in by Angela's mother, Theresa when his own mother disappeared after a drunken binge. He has visions of the future and a talented artist. He predicted Mina's arrival to Area 14 and feels connected to her. He's completely oblivious to angela's affections for him.

bb5da4f2-4021-4733-9173-4b4a4c80e85c_zps3e19ff2d.jpg

Elena Darcey

She's a child of the GEM - a clone - or GEM for short. Her genes have been constructed to make her beautiful. Elena bullies Mina initially, but then becomes sympathetic after seeing the harsh treatment of the Blemished students at the school. She's full of attitude and life but self conscious about her intelligence as she believes her parents constructed her as beautiful but not smart.

jessicalowndes_zpsdc591909.jpg

Sebastian Cole

Also a GEM with perfect genes. He is the mysterious GEM who seems interested in Mina when she moves to Area 14. He is charming and fun to be around, with a mood than can switch quite suddenly. His intentions are unclear.

13d8d8f3-00cc-4fd0-bbf1-5910fc969f89_zps5eb25b63.jpg

Margaret Murgatroyd

She is the formidable teacher at St Jude's Comprehensive school and has it in for Mina. As a woman in her 40s she's paranoid about her looks, and constantly getting plastic surgery. She comes across as jealous of the young, and can be particularly nasty. Her meanness can be attributed to a past tragedy.

90f00148-c9be-4ad8-bcaf-9e3069fed0e1_zps19440424.jpg

There are more! I'll have to do The Vanished later.

NathanCass

Yep...Books, They're Great!
Registered
Reaction score
My book "Cast"

Justin: Sean's(MC/Protagonist's) best friend since birth.
AlexPettyfer.jpg

Cass: Comes into play later in the book, but he is on a desperate quest to find his kidnapped twin sister.
niclas%2Bgillis.jpg

Olivia: Cass's sister.
blondgreen.jpg

Sean: Discover's he isn't exactly what people would call "human."
10_stiles.jpg

Liem: Sean's history teacher and Justin's adopted Father. (Also not human...)
gibbs-ncis-news-2836-jpg.jpg

Luca: Liem's younger brother and antagonist.
370184-ian-somerhalder.JPG

Mark: Justin's(sidekick) and friend from school.
Steven+Strait.jpg

Rye: One of Luca's subordinates who is neutral, neither good or bad, but very important.
Jamie-Campbell-Bower.jpg

Julia: Justin's romantic interest and captor.
cute-redhead.jpg

Cale: Sean's "bodyguard" kind of cocky, immortal, and reckless.
jared-padalecki-shirtless.jpg

There are tons more... but... That's a lot of photos... These are the most important characters in my book.

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
oh my... I'm totally obsessed with fantasy casting everything I write. Currently working on "The Soul-Eater", which shapes up like this (hope these pics aren't too big!):

Emmeline (Emme) Cross - Sofia Black D'elia

Hairstyles-Haircuts-Short-Hairstyles-Bob-Hairstyles.jpg

Abandoned at age 9, Emme has no memories from before being found alone in an empty house. She can read memories by touch.

Kellen Cross - Avan Jogia

photo.jpg

Emmeline's missing fraternal twin brother. Can read minds and speak into them.

Beckett (Beck) Astyn - Max Irons

Max-Irons-hairstyle_27100.jpg

Charming and secretive, Beck wants Emme for all the wrong reasons.

Andromeda (Andie) Astyn - Elle Fanning

427px-Elle-Fanning-at-The-Nutcracker-3D-premiere-elle-fanning-17115027-813-1143.jpg

Beck's younger sister, extremely shy and introverted but fierce when protecting her brother

Renaldo Torres - Tyler Posey

311px-Tyler_Posey_Premiere_Universal_Pictures_Gold_8ZiUOblofgll.jpg

Renaldo is Emme's bodyguard. His appearance is incredibly important to him, and he and Emme do a lot of teasing (almost like brother and sister). He and Marlena are in love with each other, though they both deny it.

Tebriel - Aaron Johnson

Aaron-Johnson_large.jpg

Teb is a bit of a wild card, Emme is sure she knew him before she lost her memories but doesn't know if she can trust him now. He sometimes dreams the future.

Marlena James - Sasha Pieterse

Sasha-Pieterse-3.jpg

Shy and angry, she and Emme have a past that only one of them remembers. She could be your best friend or worst enemy. She can teleport herself and others on occasion.

Poppy Hamilton - Charlotte Free

1308251324192510_large.jpg

Poppy just wants to be Emme's friend, but goes about it in a way that makes her seem more than a little sociopathic.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
My WIP ( A Scottish dark Fantasy )

Cop - Gerald Butler

His Brother - David Tennant

Woman - possibly a black hat - Tilda Swinton

Child Killer / main antagonist - Robert Carlyle

Mysterious chap who knows stuff nobody else does - Dougray Scott or Peter Capaldi if he's done with Doctor Who at the time :)

Mad old drunk - Peter Mullan

Bit parts available for Sean Connery, Euan MacGregor, James MacEvoy, Robbie Coltrane, Brian Cox, Billy Boyd, John Hannah, Ken Stott and any other Scots who want in on it :)

nerdyglam

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP - The Girl from the Sea (YA Fantasy)

Esse - Born in the middle of the Great War, Esse is the daughter of the last King and Queen of Iru and is also part mermaid.

Jasmine_Sanders_Picture_zps5ee0a08b.jpg

Ruark - Esse's BFF. The son of warriors from nearby tribes, he grew up as an orphan in Iru.

Portfolio1_zps23640bbb.jpg

Brother Gibbs - A monk and Esse's mentor. He was in love with Esse's mother and promised her that he would protect Esse.

BrotherGibbs_zpsf9a0e198.jpg

King Robert - Esse's betrothed. A charismatic womanizer.

actor-dan-stevens-from-tv-series-downtown-abbey-pic-itv-983883432_zpscaf66de9.jpg

Princess Rebeckah - King Robert's unfriendly sister

168534_1231861221565_full1_zpsb5b78088.jpg

Last edited:

pisceanreve

Registered
Reaction score
make way for the necromancer, I'm bringin' this thread back to life! har har
okay, anyway...

I was wondering if anyone else does what I do? In one of my books, I decide on their ancestry from a particular country (as opposed to our melting pot American characters) and then look on modeling agency websites in that particular country.
I'll put up a couple characters for examples:

For my character with Romanian lineage, I found a Romanian model who I thought fulfilled a lot of what was in my mind's eye for my character:

Gabriel_P_Site03.jpg

Other times, I stumbled upon them without meaning to, like for one Japanese character. This is Yui Mizono from a weird Japanese pop-heavy metal band thing called Babymetal

1Q6Bf3x.jpg

So yeah, those are my methods for casting XD They're more like faceclaims, I suppose...
I won't bore you with the rest of my characters~

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
This is fun!

My WIP is set in 1947 Los Angeles. It's YA Noir.

My main character, Magnolia Reilly.
f7bcGWf.jpg

(Ana de Armas)

Her childhood friend, and older sister's first love, Brady Ryan.
Mh9FCjt.jpg

(Garret Hedlund)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I have the unfair advantage of writing a series that I imagine as an animated film.

But I do know the main character IS voiced by Ashleigh Ball, who voices Rainbow Dash in Friendship is Magic! Mostly because my main character's personality (and a little bit of her look) is based on RD, to the point where at one point, someone suggests she dyes her hair rainbow colors.

She threatens to throw this person off a balcony!

shahrazad

Registered
Reaction score
IDK about casting, but I always imagined my MC's mom to look like Mahnaz Afshar. Gorgeous and terrifically bitchy.

Mahnaz_Afshar_-_Pictures_2010_.jpg

Last edited:

what?

Registered
Reaction score
Find images of actors to be your characters ...
I don't find actors hot. Maybe I would find the real person hot, if I had a chance to meet them, but they are unattainable to me and therefore irrelevant and don't trigger any emotions.

Real people are hot, because I can meet them and be afraid of their reaction and make them like my or hate me and have a relationship with them that affects me.

So when I write and need images for my characters, I use people I know in real life or get on Facebook and look at the friends of my friends or the students of the local university, and find images that make me hot or shiver or whatever I want from that character.

Because it is this involvement with a person that I need to make me want to write about them.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I find actors hot precisely because they're unobtainable, lol. Though I have a similar problem as What?: I've found several "real life" people I can see as my characters, but no celebrities... anyway, it's really interesting to see who all of you chose!

shahrazad

Registered
Reaction score
I don't find actors (or models) hot either, but for a whole other reason. I guess acting/modeling is kinda silly to me so it ruins the appeal. Now musicians and footballers, I'm totally into--not that those things are super serious, but we can at least see them sweat in real time, lol.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't find actors (or models) hot either, but for a whole other reason. I guess acting/modeling is kinda silly to me so it ruins the appeal. Now musicians and footballers, I'm totally into--not that those things are super serious, but we can at least see them sweat in real time, lol.

The only thing that determines, for me, whether or not a person is hot (with extreme exceptions like hygiene) is a pleasing arrangement of facial features and attractive bodily proportion.

Now whether or not I'd enter a relationship with them is another issue entirely. But since we're casting characters based on looks, what they're like irl doesn't matter.

All imo, of course.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Zoombie. I'm more likely to think of my characters as CG (probably because of the whole "virtual world Aenigma" thing) and voice-cast them, like:

Jomei "DJ" Dazai: I seriously hear Ron Perlman's voice when I write his dialogue. Y'know, deep and rough.

Sophia LaGuardia: Cree Summer

Vinette Avery: Olivia Olson

Glissando Perez: Grey DeLisle. Gliss vaults from perky BFF to menacing mad scientist in 2.4 seconds.

Alek: James Arnold Taylor

Malsmedis: Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

Nixomedis: Cam Clarke

Beth "Zombeth" Craven: Against-type, I imagine soft-spoken sadist and Gliss's Cruel Daughter counterpart as Kath Soucie. Her breathy "bad girl" voice, sure, but even her bad girls tend to run nicer than Zombeth.

Last edited:

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
Oooooooh this used to be one of my favorite threads!! Good idea to revive it! :)

Sooooooo for the NA novel (obvs the characters are a bit older) I'm currently plotting:

Lexie, the main character - played by Felicity Jones

9d98b9bb4fb12704a4f611565841f680.jpg

Her older brother Jay - portrayed by Aaron Tveit:
825e194df4f2860350efb797b9bfeadc.jpg

Her younger brother Corbin - portrayed by Dylan O'Brien:
a2afe14ac8ebcdbbb99c9fdd33f7c457.jpg

The love interest "Phoenix" - portrayed by AnnaSophia Robb
cb7bdfdab825c7220bac0cdf82f961cb.jpg

The pain in the ass musical director, Shane - Tobey Maguire
fcba0f794c7a6bdfc37e8e1d8351585f.jpg

And Lexie's Mom, portrayed by none other than Julianne Moore.
julianne-moore-2.jpg

Can't wait to get started eeeep :snoopy::snoopy:

Last edited: