The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
I know the feeling Tamlyn. Not on my best here either, though mine is all allergy (I swear that South Georgia was never meant to be inhabited by humans).

Hope you get to feeling better very soon.

Eli Hinze

Snuggler of Cats & Writer of Things
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com
I'd fallen off the horse for a bit, (been in poor health, felt too crummy to do anything), but I'm finally getting back at my short story! I don't think I'll be read to sub it by the end of this month, but I'll definitely be getting closer. I'd say by the end of April? At the latest?
Also, I've started making more progress with re-editing me first novel. Haven't done much in the way of editing my third one, though.. I'll get there!

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Sounds like you're back at it, Eli. Good going! Having goals helps.

I polished a recent microfiction and a flash and sent them out today, both to publications I haven't tried before. So I've doubled my subs in the past few days, now at 10 out with pro editors.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I did the opposite of getting better. And when I got home from hospital, there were rejections waiting for me *sigh*

Ah well. Hopefully I'm in the getting better part now. The rejections will have to sit for a while. I need to look at them again to see whether they need fixing or I'm still happy with them as is, then decide where to send them. Right now I need what little focus I have to try and make those March deadlines I'm still (foolishly?) hoping to make.

I hope that everyone is having a much better month than me, both in their writing/submitting and in general.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I did the opposite of getting better. And when I got home from hospital, there were rejections waiting for me *sigh*

Sorry to hear you've been so sick :( Get well soon, and don't worry about the R's until you do. I know for a fact there would be one or two in my inbox if I ever stayed away for a day or two. (Compulsively checking email only makes it seem like they come rarely!)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you ended up in the hospital, Tamlyn :( I hope you are much better soon.

I finished a novella yesterday. I didn't reach my word count goal for the week, but now that that particular story is done, I think I will be able to for awhile.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Completely rewrote a story with 5 R's and sent it out to another venue. Here's hoping!

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
I'm spending way too much time talking about SFF fandom. I say that because I haven't gotten crap written since I started doing it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hope you feel better soon, Tamyln!

Hopefully i'll get my March story out the door today. Turns out this month's W1 will also be my S1, which means i might get 2 fresh stories out the door (last month's W1 is still waiting for final edits and subbing). Maybe :D

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
After a same-day rejection on the story mentioned above, I've sent it off for try number 7.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Been plugging away on the new novella. Getting close to 14k and the plot's just rolling along. (If I weren't so busy fighting both sewer and water company to get our water turned back on. Almost a month without running water at the house and it's draining.)

But still making some progress on the writing front.

Aggy, one word at a time

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Good to see progress in the writing and submitting fronts.

Tom: Rx -- check out Bob Newhart's stop it skit on YouTube. Take away: "Just Stop It!"

Got another story sub out so I'm up to 11. Most of them still have more than a month to go for anticipated response, so I'm in withdrawal from editor emails.

Got back to work on the Gothic novel, made it 50 pages into the second edit on the second draft.

Wrote two essays for my blog while I was at my favorite forest yesterday. Fun to slam things out in longhand in nature.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
I just realized, this is the first time I've had 5 stories out at once. It's a pretty good feeling. :)

Aggy: Sorry to hear that. Best of luck both with the writing and the plumbing issues.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Izz. And AC. It's less a "plumbing" issue and more an issue of a local government utility requiring me to pay an extra fee if I want to pay my bill with cash (instead of a check or credit card).

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Izz. And AC. It's less a "plumbing" issue and more an issue of a local government utility requiring me to pay an extra fee if I want to pay my bill with cash (instead of a check or credit card).

Unbelievable!

(It's the opposite here. Cash & cheque are free; credit card almost always involves a charge.)

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still not getting much of anything done on my short story, but I have managed over 2,000 words on my novel that had been sitting idle since the first part of December.

I'm also narrowing down on the ending, so I'll actually have it finished. After that, the trick is to make it not suck :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to edit a story to the point it's worth getting feedback on, while at the same time generating something new so I don't get out of the flow of first drafts while I'm stuck in editing mode. A bit tricky, but seems to be working okay. All my stories seem to be growing longer this year. Which means, they're harder sells!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
March story out the door!

Flash piece, originally written in 2011, sitting on my HDD needing serious work since June 2012. Have spent a lot of time this month rewriting, and figure it's a much stronger story now. It's also spawned a novel idea, but that's a whole other story (da dum chh :D).

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff, Izz, Aggy, Tom and Fihr.

Just finished a play - a literary form I haven't been involved with for quite a while.

Great feeling. Now, if I can just expand my tow annoying short stories...

I will say though, if stuck, another literary form can be a nice way out.

Last edited:

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Three stories written and submitted so far this year. (I first types submitten. Good grief.)

Now to figure out what I'm doing for April.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to think it's awful how some sites allow you to view your status.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to think it's awful how some sites allow you to view your status.

I like it; it helps me know that they got the submission (esp. if there is no confirmation). If I see 'in slush' or whatnot, then I know it's there; if nothing's there, then for all I know it wandered off into the depths of the Internet.