I need an agent

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
So, I'm getting inquiries about TV/Film rights and also inquires about foreign language rights. Different requests about both, and all for my WOOL series of books. Is there a different way to query when you are getting requests like this? And do I contact a Film/TV agent or a book agent for those rights? One of the contacts is from a "literary media" company. All look legit. I have no clue what I'm doing, so all info helps.

Thanks in advance.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Query in the same way as you usually would but mention the inquiries in your query letter. And in your case I'd look for a literary agency with a solid TV/film department too.

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Or could you handle it for me? What kinda cut do you take?

You can do it yourself.

1. Learn how to write a query letter (books and online sources are available)
2. Research agents: query tracker, agentquery.com, google, AbsoluteWrite etc.
3. e-query those agents that accept email queries.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks!

Or could you handle it for me? What kinda cut do you take?

not sure this is a terribly compelling pitch. right off the bat, you have no real description of what you're offering, just a request, and on top of that you're immediately moving towards haggling as though you have every intention of trying to find the lowest bidder

maybe that isn't how you meant things to come off, BUT, and that's a big but, it may be a very good lesson for queries. First impressions count--I saw this and thought "wow....going right to price, with an unknown offering.....that's gonna look good" but it was a forum so I wrote back--a busy agent isn't going to.

Figure out who you want. And their percentage probably shouldn't be your primary sorting tool.