Ever actually charged incurred expenses?

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
I know that many agents include in their contracts (if they have one) that they may charge you for expenses incurred while submitting manuscripts (postage, copies, etc). For anyone with an agent - have you ever actually been charged? Or has the agent just waited until your book has sold before taking out that little bit of money (if they bother with it at all)?

Deleted member 42

Once for a rush FedEx overseas.

That's it--and it was a reasonable charge, back in the day when we stored files on CDs.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. It was for something like what Medievalist describes, involving international shipping. It was invoiced in detail, so I didn't have an issue about it.

I've never heard of anyone being ripped off by a reputable agent on this stuff. They pay the ordinary day-to-daycosts of doing business, but when there's something unusual--especially when it's requested by the author--it makes sense that the author would pay all or some of the cost.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My first and only agent to date, a small one person operation, gave me a choice, send her 5 clean manuscript copies so she can send them out, or, send her $125 to have my single copy to her reproduced at Kinko's.

I did the math, back then, a single black ink cartridge was $19.95 and a ream of paper was about $10 at Staples. At over 500 pages, it would have cost me more to make and ship the 5 copies than to just send her a check for $125. She never charged me for anything else...

Today, most stuff is sent electronically and I can't imagine an agent charging for that...