Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think ramen for lunch was a good idea. Now I'm super sleepy and have no chance to take a nap today. Too much to do. I wish I had a coke.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I really want to hear how your trip went, if you ever feel like sharing :D I hope you had an awesome time.

What have you seen of the series, and what are the options?

I had never seen Dr. Who before except for an episode of the new Dr. Who series and was trying to get into and wondering which anthology would be better. At the end I bought BBC's Sherlock, so it's gonna be a next time.

NYC... that will be a long post on its own. I have to say I feel I have healed some of the relationship with my father and proved myself some things while defeating some personal barriers. All of them doing that while visiting one of the most amazing places in the world.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
One thing I love about Boardwalk Empire, and isn't spoilery at all, is how the characters just straight up transform visually as your opinion of them evolves, and you don't even notice until you look back. I mean, there's a scene where Margaret dresses up as her old self and you're like, "Woah!" because you hadn't realized the difference, but look at Jimmy! I just re-watched the first ep, and I'd forgotten he used to look like that.

Okay, now to go find something productive to do while I still have no Sadness Squid.

I have only seen the first season, but I agree. They really grow on people, though some of it can feel a bit rushed and cliché-ridden, which is my problem with the Van Alden character.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for combining WIPs into one that's better than the two seperate ones!

Though this does mean my WIP has changed again. So that's more editing that will eventually need to be done. But this change has given me ideas of how to move forward, since before this I was stalled with it.

I have only seen the first season, but I agree. They really grow on people, though some of it can feel a bit rushed and cliché-ridden, which is my problem with the Van Alden character.
wait a second... Van Alden is a cliché? Holy crap, there are other characters like him? I must find them at once!

Cause seriously, by the end of Season 1 (haven't seen Season 2 yet) Van Alden is close to being my favourite thing about this show.

Last edited:

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
My tummy is now reminding me why it doesn't like ramen. :(

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Is it bad that I find a stronger woman menacing over a weaker man incredibly hot?
No. That's one of the most well-known fetishes (actually I feel odd even calling it a fetish to begin with) there is.

Hell if I liked women I'd probably be into that. :)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score

It can sometimes, yes. I s'pose with so many characters and so little time, it makes sense.

I'm one of those fans who doesn't like Enoch Thompson and watches mainly for other characters, in my case the Darmody family and their associates. I think the show could be so much better with a better main character. But this particular producer, Terence Winter, has some kind of deeply ingrained habit of making Nucky-type lead roles, so what can ya do?

He also did The Sopranos, which I hated to the point that I have to leave the room if someone turns it on, any episode, even just the opening credits. But a lot of the people who didn't like The Sopranos like Boardwalk Empire, so I'm not unique there. The whole aesthetic is totally different and shizz.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of those fans who doesn't like Enoch Thompson and watches mainly for other characters, in my case the Darmody family and their associates. I think the show could be so much better with a better main character. But this particular producer, Terence Winter, has some kind of deeply ingrained habit of making Nucky-type lead roles, so what can ya do?
I like Nucky, but I feel like the only reason I do is because he's played by Steve Buscemi and I seem to be pre-programmed to like any character that man plays. You're right, Jimmy would have made more sense as the central protagonist.

And while I'm on this: Why did they feel the need to include Nucky in sex scenes? He's played by Steve Buscemi! I like the guy as an actor but attractive he is not.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon Cantina!

The more I go to work, the less I want to be there. if they slash my hours anymore, I'll no longer work there by default. I really, really need a new job. :Headbang:

I had some multi-quotes, but by now I'm sure most of the discussion has been forgotten.

Fen - I like your chickens. For some odd reason, I've always wanted chickens, but we're not allowed to have farm animals in the city. Besides, the stupid stray cat that keeps hanging around because my neighbor feeds it would probably kill them anyway.

Somebody mentioned kid spies (BW I think). That's why I can't get into YA. Kids and teens just don't have the maturity to be effective at such a serious profession. The only way I could see the possibility is if they'd been brainwashed and trained since birth. But even then I still have problems with it.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
:nothing

Except that I'm crawling into the writing cave for a while. Or at least until a small boy wakes up.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: I know right? Between him and Van Alden, if I weren't a lesbian going in I would be after a couple episodes.

As for alt protagonists, it wouldn't even have to be Jimmy (although that would make my life). There are so many good candidates in there, I feel as if at least a third of the characters we see could carry a show on their own.

I like Buscemi in a lot of other things, but I don't like the writing behind Nucky. And Nucky made sure in like the first or second episode that he would never be a sympathetic character in my eyes with his attitude toward WWI veterans.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw on TV that they're re-releasing The Avengers in theaters for Labor Day weekend. Since the remnants of Issac are heading our way, and will undoubtly produce much rain, this might be a plan. I'm off Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. :D

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
:roll: I know right? Between him and Van Alden, if I weren't a lesbian going in I would be after a couple episodes.
Now I think about it, there really weren't a lot of people in that show I'd call 'attractive'. I mean there was Jimmy, but even he looked kind of weird. Beyond that... really there was nobody.

I like Buscemi in a lot of other things, but I don't like the writing behind Nucky. And Nucky made sure in like the first or second episode that he would never be a sympathetic character in my eyes with his attitude toward WWI veterans.
I don't really think Nucky was meant to be a truly sympathetic character. At least that's how I read it. I read it as you're supposed to think he's pretty much just a bastard, but that he has rare lapses into being somewhat decent.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw on TV that they're re-releasing The Avengers in theaters for Labor Day weekend. Since the remnants of Issac are heading our way, and will undoubtly produce much rain, this might be a plan. I'm off Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. :D

I thought about going to see it, finally, but.... ticket prices being what they are, and it being in the one part of town I avoid (worst mile of traffic and congestion of all time - and I've driven Boston, Pittsburgh, and Chicago at rush hour) ...

I seriously think I shall wait until I can rent it.

But I am tempted.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
If you like her chickens, you should see...

Nah, never mind. Been too long and not enough people here would likely remember it.

:D

I knew where you were going and it made me :D. So thanks. :)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Now I think about it, there really weren't a lot of people in that show I'd call 'attractive'. I mean there was Jimmy, but even he looked kind of weird. Beyond that... really there was nobody.

:roll:

Well, my straight friend used to like Owen Sleater. I didn't think Angela was too bad, personally.

Michael Pitt, the actor who plays Jimmy, I don't think he's experienced some of the things he was trying to portray, and so there were some scenes where he's going for the "thousand-yard stare" type thing but he ends up just looking brain damaged. On a second watching it occasionally makes me chuckle, actually, especially with how underhandedly clever we're shown Jimmy being (Sheridan, man. Epic).

Michael Pitt is also in a band that has a couple good songs (and a couple freaking terrible ones).

I don't really think Nucky was meant to be a truly sympathetic character. At least that's how I read it. I read it as you're supposed to think he's pretty much just a bastard, but that he has rare lapses into being somewhat decent.

True, but we're not supposed to wish he would die so someone either more interesting or less yucky would take the reins. Which is how I tend to feel. :tongue

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! The actor who plays Richard is supposed to be handsome when he's out of character, too.

And a friend of mine used to drool over Babette. The underweight blonde who runs the nightclub, whom we see for five seconds once every 10 episodes. Not my kinda girl.

But somebody on the internet joked a while back that the goal is to assemble the ugliest male cast in the history of television, which I could imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.